These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.
Post by daehl
Not sure if this is specific to the Android Waze client, but it's the only one I use. I have been using Waze 3.0.1.x religiously for the last month or so, and in all that time it has not learned any "preferred routes" based on my driving habits. It's very annoying as well, because it suggests quite ridiculous routes that take me 10-80% longer distance on my work commute. (I drive an 8.6 mile commute, but Waze continues to suggest 11mi & 14.2mi routes in the top three preferred routes, and the 8.7 mile route it does suggest has many more intersections and non-highway roads so that route takes at least 10 minutes longer than mine). I drive the same way every day, but Waze refuses to suggest the route I drive every day while using Waze.

I figured the Waze maps might have something to do with it, so I made a huge amount of map corrections to the city I live in, and they finally just started appearing live with the 2/12/12 map update today. I'm hoping that would help, and it has a little, but even today, there is still there is no sign Waze is learning my route to work.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
daehl
Send a message

Post by daehl
gerben wrote:And please note that Waze learns your frequent destinations, not your frequent routes. It will always calculate the fastest route to your frequent destination.
Android Waze says it can learn routes. On the Routes pane it says "Tip: Teach Waze your preferred routes by simply driving them several times"

It looks like others have noticed this isn't working as well:

http://word.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&p=116411

They mention that it was working in the beta, (preferred routes would appear with a heart icon to indicate them along with displaying Waze's calculated routes) but not in the final release. If true, that would seem to indicate a bug in the 3.0.x Android client.
daehl
Send a message

Post by daehl
I also noticed that the Android 3.0.1.1 client is not displaying the same tiles as what appear online. Not sure if this has anything to do with the client itself. My guess is there is a separate map database just for the mobile clients. How else would it explain why the roads are different than the online "Live Map".

More details here:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17099&p=153109#p153109
daehl
Send a message

Post by daehl
Have you tried forcing a manual refresh of map data in your client app?
Yes. I do mention that in the linked forum post.
daehl
Send a message

Post by daehl
gettingthere wrote:Personally, I rarely ever look at Live Map since I am concerned with the function of the Waze Application on my SmartPhone.
Well, yes. I wouldn't normally have any reason too look there as well, except I've been waiting for well over a month to see my first batch of map edits to appear. And while I'd prefer to view all my updates on my phone while driving, the mobile Waze app doesn't list the "last update" date anywhere that I can find it. So the only way to confirm what date the maps are current to is on the online "Live maps" screen. And (at least by my understanding) the term "live" should mean it's identical to what the mobile app will display.

But since the "Live map" isn't displaying the exact same streets as in the mobile view (in any magnification), I'm glad I did check against the "live map." Otherwise I'd have no way to prove there's a problem with it not being an actual "Live" map.
daehl
Send a message

Post by DarkStarChuck
Bionic, Rooted, Latest OTA update, Custom ROM, Wazer for about 9 months. V3.0.1.1

Have been overall happy with WAZE, I still will use the Google Map to check traffic in So Cal.

I have experienced many of the issues in this thread (read only last 6 pages) so far, but yesterday, I had WAZE lock my phone, requiring a battery pull to reset. I backed up data, un-installed, rebooted, installed, restored data only, and same issue! I was able to do the same re-install, without restoring data, logged on, and was able to again use Waze. During the locking up, the waze screen would display the 2 lower buttons (menu & reports) and the rest was black. Push and hold power at first would display the options, but the screen would not respond to touch. 3 times I pulled the battery after waiting at least 4 minutes for a response.
DarkStarChuck
Send a message

Post by deeggo
petervdveen wrote:That's about a hour than.
It's not that much indeed.

Maybe you can check if it helps to put your screen brightness a bit lower?
I've used many different smartphones over the years, but never been able to use any GPS using application that keeps the screen on for more than 2 hours. 1 hour may be a bit short, but it doesn't get much longer.
deeggo
Send a message
Global Champ. Country manager Nederland & België
NL: Wiki: hoe label ik een (snel)weg correct?
HTC One M8 | Follow me on Twitter
Join Dropbox, free online file sync! Register through this link and give you and me 250MB extra for free. Thanks!

Post by dmcconachie
When reporting the "Send" button needs to be up top like "Cancel" button otherwise you have to press "Back" to hide the keyboard first, not very intuitive!
Keyboard_Send.JPG
(27.69 KiB) Downloaded 725 times
dmcconachie
Send a message
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status

Post by dmcconachie
Please use the newer beta!

via Tapatalk
dmcconachie
Send a message

Post by dmcconachie
ubul87 wrote:I have a question about the navigation in waze. There is no difference between highways and toll roads. And especially in the US it is a big difference. I like to drive on highways but if I go short(less than 10 miles) on a turnpike I would avoid it because with the paying and everything is uncomfortable and unnecessary.
In Google Navigation there are 2 options avoid highways and avoid tolls.
I suggest you could put it in the feature list.
Yours truly :)
Highly requested feature and on the roadmap. Hopefully second half of this year

via Tapatalk
dmcconachie
Send a message