Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

Police on the go

Post by White-Ghost1
This might be posted in here all ready if so, please excuse me.

I would like to see a option to report police on the move. A lot of times I will see a police car which is moving in traffic, however if I report it ... it will show where he was and not where he is.

Can this be done, I really think it's needed!

Besides this one little point I think Waze rocks! :)
White-Ghost1

POSTER_ID:2876051

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
"Waiting" is the only one worth tagging IMO. We don't need that other stuff. No value to me.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by CBenson
I actually find the "working" catergory to be helpful. Its kind of nice to know that the emerency lights you see up ahead are not an accident or other problem. That's basically how I interpret the police visible warning when I can see flashing lights ahead and usually it is correct. (If is it not reported as police, it's just going to be report as "car on shoulder.")
Of course that is because for accidents, construction and other hazards it is the underlying hazard this is reported rather the police presence. I don't see why accidents, construction and disabled car should also be under police.

What would be the reasonable timeout for "moving?" 30 seconds?
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by dmcconachie
Suggested before and rightly rejected. Minutes after you report there is very little way to predict where he will be , let alone if he's on the same road. The information would be virtually useless.

Moving police should not be reported!
dmcconachie
Send a message
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status

Post by DrScrat
I think its a great ideal. Police on the Parkway(NJ) and the Thruway(NY) often will be lying in wait, let you pass and then pull out a couple of minutes later and pursue the targeted car at 'high' speed till they spot it. The police car will often then hang back to see if the 'target' is still 'speeding' and decide whether or not to have a 'public interface' with the driver.

I believe the police reporting should work as follows:
  • Waiting - Hiding/On side of road waiting
    • Marker on Map
      Blink Road for reports within Users set reporting forward Radius
      Audio alert if enabled
    Working - Has a 'client'
    • Marker on Map
      Audio alert if enabled
    Helping - At Accident/Construction/Disabled Car
    • Marker on map for Police/Hazard
      Audio Alter if enabled
    Moving - Running with Traffic
    • Blink Road for reports within Users Set reporting forward Radius
      Audio Alert if enabled
The alerts should have some reasonable timeout since the information is highly volatile.

Let me finish by saying I love the Waze application and hope it keeps going strong.
:D
DrScrat
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
Sorry, I am going to be smart a#s.

Why can't Waze just deliver coffee and donuts to the police to distract them. Then we won't need to worry about placing a warning on the map! :twisted:
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico

Post by gettingthere
CBenson wrote:What would be the reasonable timeout for "moving?" 30 seconds?
Timeout in what regard? Keep in mind that the reports that you see in your application (that you did not report yourself) are apx. 2-4 minutes old before they even appear in your Waze App.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico

Post by ImTheBroker
Maybe this all could be solved by having a "Moving" button, with north, south, east, west and have the notification to others disappear after a minute or two. This way only those individuals traveling near the location would get an approach notification. As far as the law abiding citizen comment. If that's the case why even have a Police button at all?
ImTheBroker
Send a message

Post by Suik
Well if it is so much needed, why not to enter it into the comment of a visible police report? ;) and pin it somewhere accordingly
Suik
Send a message
The one that returned
almosthttps://s.waze.tools/s0025.pnghttps://s.waze.tools/c3.png
Renault Fluence 2011, 1.6 16V, Samsung GS7 stock Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.18.0.1
FB pg: Waze Slovensko / Twitter: @waze_slovensko / G+: Waze Slovensko

Post by Timbones
I really don't see the point of reporting a moving police car anyway. Unless you're a fugitive in a stolen car, the policemen really aren't interested in what (law-abiding) citizens are doing on the road.
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 2
Send a message
Timbones(6) • UK Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Closure Monitor
Scripts: WME Colour HighlightsWME Route TesterWME Geometries