Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clients

This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Moderators: Jackson, krankyd, rondesta, adriansinger

Re: Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clien

Postby bart99gt » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:05 pm

I read through the first few pages, and last few pages of this thread, and didn't see this mentioned.

Is Waze in the process of adopting standard USPS two letter state identifiers to TTS? As I'm sure everyone is aware, Waze currently just says the letters individually, it would be nice to have it actually pronounce the actual state name, either when used as part of a highway name, or as a City, State type reference.
Area Manager: Northern Mississippi
bart99gt

Postby bart99gt » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:55 pm

AndyPoms wrote:
bart99gt wrote:I read through the first few pages, and last few pages of this thread, and didn't see this mentioned.

Is Waze in the process of adopting standard USPS two letter state identifiers to TTS? As I'm sure everyone is aware, Waze currently just says the letters individually, it would be nice to have it actually pronounce the actual state name, either when used as part of a highway name, or as a City, State type reference.
This has been requested. However Waze doesn't say the letters in all cases, "CT" is pronounced "Court", "NY" is pronounced "North Why", etc.

We've also made a request to have things such as "CA-##", "NY-##", "MI-##", "LA-##" translate into the local "Route"/"Highway"/"El Ay"/etc name as well. This one is much longer term.

Very good, I figured that it probably had been, but sifting through 50 some pages would have been a bit tedious.
Area Manager: Northern Mississippi
bart99gt

Postby berestovskyy » Tue May 14, 2013 2:45 pm

Hi!
We have an idea how to improve TTS pronunciation and how to deal with abbreviations. Basically we suggest to use Alt City/Street name to correctly pronounce names and/or to specify a short (abbreviated) street name.

Please support if you like the idea! ;)

Thanks!
Last edited by berestovskyy on Tue May 14, 2013 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
berestovskyy
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby berestovskyy » Tue May 14, 2013 6:58 pm

hmarian wrote:Working with Waze to fix this is the way to go.

Sure! This is just a suggestion :)

jasonh300 wrote:This would be a very bad idea and would defeat the true purpose of Alt Name fields (which is for search results).

No, it's not. For instance:
Street: Northeast Kentucky Industrial Parkway <- this would be used by default (for search in this case)
Alt City: #short Alt Name: Northeast Pkwy <- this would be used to display and for TTS

Correction of pronunciation:
Street: John Paul IV Street <- this would be used by default (for search and to display)
Alt City: #tts Alt Name: John Paul 4th St <- this would be used for TTS

The #tts name could be a transcription (phonetic spelling) of the street name.

Having a prefix (#) it's easy to disting those properties and not use them for search if you like. But its not such a bad idea if one could find both '4th' and 'IV' IMO.

jasonh300 wrote:However, it wouldn't be a bad idea for a new dedicated field in which a phonetic spelling of names could be entered.

You see! They call it a brainstorming ;)
berestovskyy
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby berestovskyy » Mon May 20, 2013 8:22 am

PhantomSoul wrote:Frankly, introducing a hash tag syntax to names just further complicates a UI that already appears overwhelming for many new editors.

So we have suggested it works/appears for 3 or even 5 cones editors only. Also we can use Key-Value pairs "just like Alt names", not abusing alt names.

PhantomSoul wrote:A bigger caveat to this, however, might be how many editors are familiar with universal phonetic spelling, and how many of those are familiar with how to produce many of its whacky characters on a keyboard?

In fact, in Nuance it looks like this:

b a k w *r d z -> backwards

Here is the Nuance Grammar Developer's Guide (PDF), page 85.

A separate TTS field would encourage people to put there something. On the other hand, a Key-Value pairs would allow to fix TTS/shields etc for experienced editors only. And we know, the majority of the segments do not need any TTS correction or shields at all.
berestovskyy
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby berestovskyy » Mon May 20, 2013 6:28 pm

PhantomSoul wrote:But in the long run, unless Waze creates some kind of administrator certification program to teach people these backdoor hacks [...]

"Certification program" for "backdoor hacks"? Oh, come on! :lol: Every single system or game has settings. They are confusing sometimes, that is why UI developers hide them under the "Settings" ;)

Yes, I really think the feature we use for one of a 100 road segments really deserve "to bypass the UI development process" like you said. And it's not only about immediate returns, but also about cluttering WME interface.

Examples?
  1. "Toll roads". There are many countries with no toll roads at all. But the option is there, easily accessible.
  2. "Lock", now with a dropdown box. How often do we use this feature? New editors especially.
  3. On the other hand, every single segment has an address. But we have to click "Edit" next to "Unnamed segment" and then "Apply".
So no, I don't like the way "WME system appears to be headed" :(
berestovskyy
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby bgodette » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:38 am

Basically there needs to be positional awareness for handling things like St, Dr, N/S/E/W. Can anyone think of a name where St isn't Saint unless it's at the end of the name and therefore Street? Same thing for Dr.

N/S/E/W is the letter name if it's in the middle of the street name, or the only "word" before the St/Rd/Blvd/etc. So you can have "W N St" for "West Enn Street" and "N St" for "Enn Street", if you need "West North Street" you'll just have to use "W North St".

CR-### should be County Road, I'm not sure what we should use for State/County Route, maybe RT-### and TTS be "Route ###". (Rowwt or Root? it's regional)
SH-### should be State Highway ###.
US-### should be You Ess ### or You Ess Highway ### (I'd prefer to not have Highway but that's just me)
I-### should be Eye ###
ImageImage
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby bgodette » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:23 pm

jenncard wrote:One of my cities out in the hinterlands is littered with "27 1/2 Rd", "D 1/4 Rd", or one of my personal favorites "E 50/100 Rd". Unfortunately, I've actually never Wazed there so I have NO IDEA what TTS does! That said, I've never seen a UR saying "should be one-half Rd not one {pause} two Rd".

I can tell you that when it comes to "Co Rd 3 1/2" what TTS says is "Co Road Three One Slash Two", with the Co as the first syllable of "cooperative", I have yet to change one of these to CR-3.5 or CR 3.5 to see what happens.
ImageImage
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby bgodette » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:21 pm

I think we all realized going into this that it was not going to be trivial. I agree with Harling that whatever we come up with needs to be consistent and easy to implement in the parser.

Perhaps the way we should be approaching this is by what abbreviations are ambiguous; What else is there beyond the compass directions, St, Dr, and Bus? Are there other conflicts for Spanish and French? And then there's the ROTW once they get TTS.
ImageImage
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby bgodette » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:12 pm

bmitch3020 wrote:Any automated solution is going to result in a lot of one-off or edge cases that don't work correctly. I think the best solution is to provide a TTS input under the Label input. Use the default TTS rules if no values are provided, and show the expanded value. And if "customize TTS" or some other checkbox is selected, allow the map editor to put in plain English (or their language of choice) into the TTS box. E.g.:

Label: Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. St N
TTS: Doctor Martin Luther King Junior Street North

Label: N St.
TTS: N Street

Label: Geo Wash Pkwy
TTS: George Washington Parkway

This way the label can match the sign, but the editor can fix the TTS if we see the default isn't correct.
Actually this needs to be expanded on further, what we need to know is which Open Source TTS engine is being used so we know what the TTS hinting syntax is, so we have direct control to correct regional pronunciation as well as non-English words in a predominately English environment.
ImageImage
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to United States