Trucks, RVs etc.. specs for routing

You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Moderators: Unholy, bextein, MGODLEW

Forum rules
Waze staff does not read this forum

This forum is made for community discussions only.
To submit a feature request to Waze, read and follow the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features".

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Suggestion add more Vehicle Type to select.

Postby rickylo103 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:31 am

I suggest adding more vehicle type to select. Because in Malaysia have some segment just can use for Private Vehicle, Motorcycle and Taxi. It can add one more Heavy Vehicle in Vehicle type, then it is more prefect. I herein attached a photo for your easy reference. As this type segment, we are setting the TBR also not use, Waze also will route to there because the client cannot set user use is Heavy Vehicle. Thanks.

[ img ]
Waze Malaysia
Ricky Lo
State Manager - Johor
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
Waze MY FB Group
rickylo103

Truck route(18 wheeler)

Postby RODWILSONSR » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:08 am

How about adding truck routing to the app.i use it in my work truck as well as my personal truck and it would be very helpful to know that the route that I'm being rerouted to is a route that a 18 wheeler is allowed to be on and not put into a tight situation.thanks in advance
RODWILSONSR

suggestions for software upgrade (RV compatible)

Postby rstrvlr » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:19 pm

Low clearance warnings (actually complete avoidance of any of them). Perhaps use Lowclearance.com.
* Steep grade warnings (or alternate planning around those) anything over 5%.
* Gas locations and finding low prices

We love the app for cars, but now we have a class A motorhome, and it would be great to implement RV related concerns as above.

Any clearance under 13 feet would be impassible!
Also condition of roads would be nice. In need of repair, excessive potholes, narrow shoulders. etc.
rstrvlr

Re: Routes for motorcycles and RVs

Postby RussPA » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:31 pm

There are no plans to add support for vehicle types as you are asking, I believe car and taxi support is all that's going to be available. It's a very large issue to deal with, for several reasons, and not in the plans for Waze any time soon. Sorry.
[ img ] [ img ] [ img ] [ img ] [ img ][ img ] [ img ]
Assistant Regional Coordinator - NOR
Local Champ - US
WME Beta Community Coordinator
RussPA
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Re: Trucks contribution

Postby sachilles » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:36 pm

I'd love to see some truck specific warnings as well.
-Weigh Station open or truck inspection open.
-Road hazard prevents truck passage
-Temporary weight restrictions
-Temporary height restrictions
sachilles

truck driving features

Postby salty2010 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:09 pm

It would be wonderful to have truck driving features such as:
Indicate type of truck u are driving (semi, bob tail)
Show as truck on map
Have truck related info on map when in truck mode

Teuck drivers.are a great source of info on roads on conditions.
salty2010

Re: truck driving features

Postby salty2010 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:06 pm

:geek:
What I see happening is:
-Waze enables a mode that allows users to set themselves as driving a Commercial vehicle of various types. To use USA nomenclature:
-Class A Trucks
-Class B Trucks
-Class C
-Buses
-Class B RV.

This would allow data collection to stratify by vehicle type. The advantage would be that data would not be used for map corrections or other uses that would misguide drivers of other classes. An example of this California has mandatory truck bypass sections on Interstates. For instance I5 near Sylmar has separate roadway for trucks. Trucks are required to use this roadway instead of that for cars. If one is driving a truck, one may not use the faster moving car roadway. Conversely a car might use the truck roadways to avoid jams in the car roadway.

A useful feature for truckers would be to show if truck scales or ports of entry are open or closed. This would allow truckers to know if they need to slow down or could maintain highway speed.
salty2010

Postby salty2010 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:12 pm

I don't see truck restrictions being a useful addition to Waze. Truckers have other resources for that which a better. Waze's social aspect could help truckers and non-truckers if commercial drivers were self identified. The symbols on the map could show the class of vehicle.

Truckers usually are better sources of traffic reports. They can also see more because of their height.
salty2010

Postby salty2010 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:34 am

There is a national classification system, although the states enforce comercial vehicle law and have some variations.
Class A: combination vehicles (has trailer, doesn't include articulated)
Class B: over 20,000 pounds, one piece ( no trailer)
Class C: cars and other small vehicles
In California Class M: motorcycle and scooters over certain horsepower

Federal combination limit is 53 foot trailer, no more than 3 trailers, 65 foot maximum combined length. California allows only 2 trailers. New York allows 2 53 foot trailers on the New York Thruway (limited access toll road). There are drop yards at exits for making and breaking up doubles. Buses and RVs are classified the same way. Single piece vehicles are limited to 40 feet in length. I have driven 60 foot articulated transit buses, they are considered Class B. RVs are classified the same as commercial vehicles. However RVs do not have to be licensed nor their drivers licensed as commercial vehicles. Nor do RVs have to maintain hours of service logs. Some states classify RVs as house cars. To carry passengers (even taxis), you need an endorsement, to operate air brakes you need an endorsement. My favorite California classification, which applies to A,B,C and M is Revived Junk. If you vehicle has been written off as junk and not legal to drive and the restored to legal operating state it is classified as Revived Junk. The manufactures certification of safety no longer applies and the vehicles are inspected by the California Highway Patrol once a year.

Each State may have a port of entry with weigh stations and inspections. In the 1960s you had to stop at each port of entry and purchase a trip permit. You could also buy a year permit and put it on a special plate that had spots for each state. The were called BINGO cards. Most (but not all States) Canada and Mexico joined IFTA (International Fuel Tax Association). With IFTA you get a sticker from your home state, and track the milage in each state. Each month you turn in a statement showing the miles driven in each state and the fuel taxes paid in each state. IFTA then redistributes the fuel taxes among the states and either bills or refunds the trucking company. In addition, California and Florida have agricultural inspection stations to prevent harmful insects and diseases from spreading to their agriculture. California's agriculture inspection salutations were set up in the 1930s to keep migrants from the dust bowl ecological catastrophe from entering the state. I've seen them slicing open fruit and taking whole loads to their incinerator.

What we don't have is truck trains. I believe you call these road trains. If I ever have the privileged of visiting your country, I want to go for a ride on road train.

Back to WAZE: once commercial vehicles are included, I believe the Truck and Tour Bus drivers will adopt it and make a contribution for the common good as well as increase safety on the road.
salty2010

Vehicle Type = RV

Postby ShekhMaShieraki » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:56 pm

I want to request an additional option for Vehicle Type. It doesn't have to be RV, per se, but that is when I'd use it. I'm sure this would apply to any large vehicle including moving trucks, buses, or towing boats, trailers, or other cars.

When I'm driving the RV, I want to avoid tiny roads, tight corners, or places that I can't get out of easily. I want to stick to highways and larger roads. I understand that this little, two-lane blacktop with trees and deer is shorter, but I'd rather go out of my way to take the four-lane, divided highway for as long as possible.

Other than that, this is a great app, and I use it often.
ShekhMaShieraki

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App Feature Requests