Another Odd Route

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Another Odd Route

Postby MReiser » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:44 pm

CBenson wrote:Its back to the right and U now after the Live Map is showing the 2/12/12 update date.

This intersection is even more complicated, but the type of layout does resolve most if not all of these issues. Take a REALLYCLOSE look at the junctions to see the detail.

Also take a look at these two junctions...same concept. Some of the routing that Waze was coming up here was just bizarre.
Image Image
Delaware State Manager / Level 4 editor - Philadelphia metro
Samsung Galaxy S5 (Android 4.4.2) w/ Waze v3.9.0.0
MReiser
State Manager
State Manager

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:55 pm

MReiser4670 wrote:
CBenson wrote:Its back to the right and U now after the Live Map is showing the 2/12/12 update date.

This intersection is even more complicated, but the type of layout does resolve most if not all of these issues. Take a REALLYCLOSE look at the junctions to see the detail.

That intersection is complicated, but some of the changes you've made seem to go against the #1 guideline for mapping. I see no purpose to this segment for example. It's just to give a left turn instruction?
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.2.1 | Waze v4.2b
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby MReiser » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:11 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
MReiser4670 wrote:

That intersection is complicated, but some of the changes you've made seem to go against the #1 guideline for mapping. I see no purpose to this segment for example. It's just to give a left turn instruction?

The simple answer is yes...but those little segments also prevent crazy routing issues. Several URs popped up in that intersection with very bad routes through it. By losing the intersections, they simply can't happen.
Image Image
MReiser
State Manager
State Manager

Postby CBenson » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:36 pm

MReiser4670 wrote:This intersection is even more complicated, but the type of layout does resolve most if not all of these issues. Take a REALLYCLOSE look at the junctions to see the detail.

I don't understand how this intersection would solve my routing problem. Both routes in my example (simply making the left turn or making a right turn / U-turn) are valid permitted routes. Its just that the right/U-turn makes no sense from a practical routing perspective. What waze is essentially doing is giving this route. I don't see that your intersection would prevent this.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0, Waze 3.9.9.907
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby MReiser » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:02 pm

CBenson wrote:
MReiser4670 wrote:This intersection is even more complicated, but the type of layout does resolve most if not all of these issues. Take a REALLYCLOSE look at the junctions to see the detail.

I don't understand how this intersection would solve my routing problem. Both routes in my example (simply making the left turn or making a right turn / U-turn) are valid permitted routes. Its just that the right/U-turn makes no sense from a practical routing perspective. What waze is essentially doing is giving this route. I don't see that your intersection would prevent this.

I have to admit, when I looked at this Saturday night, it was routed correctly so I guess I misunderstood what was happening. I didn't re-check it before I posted my examples, and now that I see it, I don't think they'll help. :oops:

The only possible thing I noticed is that on the Live Map, the section of East West Blvd between the two sets of lanes of Gov Ritchie Hwy has an avg speed of 0 mph. I realize that info isn't necessarily what Waze uses, but it may have some merit. Perhaps deleting and rebuilding the 3 segments from before the intersection through the turn may help?
Image Image
MReiser
State Manager
State Manager

Postby CBenson » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:09 pm

Yes. I would guess that redoing the intersection will help. I'll likely eliminate the split in Pasadena Rd. But I've seen a bunch of update requests like this. I'm really hoping that it not necessary to delete and rebuild segments each time I see a routing error like this in a UR.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby MReiser » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:16 pm

I just zoomed in real close to the intersection and found this little extraneous segment. Could it have some effect? It's only connected on one end.
Image Image
MReiser
State Manager
State Manager

Postby CBenson » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:32 pm

MReiser4670 wrote: this little extraneous segment.
The link takes me to Hamilton, NJ.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby MReiser » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:38 pm

CBenson wrote:
MReiser4670 wrote: this little extraneous segment.
The link takes me to Hamilton, NJ.

Damn! Here, try this. https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=9&lon ... s=61566856
Image Image
MReiser
State Manager
State Manager

Postby CBenson » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:40 pm

R4CLucky14 wrote:Is it possible it's faster, if the left turn can only go on an arrow, and the arrow is short, then it could takes several minutes to take a left (I know an intersection where it takes over 90 seconds to get an arrow (and can only go on an arrow), but also takes 3 cycles to get through it if your in the back. )

If there is right on red, one could take a right if clear, then cross all the lanes, hang a u-turn, and go straight through the green light...

It is conceivable that under certain conditions its faster to make the right and U, but seems unlikely to me. There lights are timed to get the left turns through the intersection. Most traffic is turning onto Gov Ritchie, theres not much actual cross traffic going straight through.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Navigation & Routing