Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.
Post by sketch
AlanOfTheBerg wrote: Maybe just edit it to redirect to the Junction Style Guide page?
Not without adding some of the content to the Junction Style Guide. I'm only now noticing that the Guide doesn't actually include guidance on split-road intersections besides the bowtie. The section should be renamed more generally, and the information in the "classification" article should be modified for inclusion into that section of the JSG. I'd also want to contact fvwazing and ask if the classification names are actually used in any context before removing them from the Wiki.

I'm short on time today, otherwise I'd make a Wiki update thread about it. If you want to do that so we can stop hijacking this thread about it, that'd be cool, and I'll get to it when I can (hopefully tomorrow). If not, I'll do so when I have the chance.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
What category is "too sharp turn" now?

If a distinction can be made between at-grade connector too-sharp turns and transition too-sharp turns, then the former should remain as a "warning" or whatever and the latter should be classified as a "note". I agree that there are allowable instances of this, but I must say that since the check was introduced, I've corrected dozens of instances of this mistake.

If not, the whole thing should be a note, I suppose. But it should definitely not be removed.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:

Post by sketch
pumrum wrote:Suggestion:

Condition: Street name or alternate street name ends in 'Exd' or any case variant
Text: Street name ends in 'Exd'. Change to 'Ext' to support proper TTS instructions
Wiki Source: https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Abbreviation ... reviations
Alert level: Note

I see a lot of segments where the suffix 'Exd' is incorrectly used to abbreviate 'Extension', when it should be 'Ext'
Is "Exd" pronounced as "extended" though? I've seen some streets called "Extension", others called "Extended" (I think, I might be wrong).
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Okay, thanks, good to know. I wouldn't mind a check against a list of common misabbreviations, but I'd want to make sure valid alternative abbreviations aren't listed. For instance, although "Expy" is listed in abbreviations and acronyms, the MUTCD recommends "Expwy" alone, so Interstate exits will typically use that (at least, depending on the state). I prefer to use "Expwy" where it is used on signage.

edit As a general matter, it may be prudent for Waze to follow the MUTCD as closely as possible for abbreviations, excluding directionals. It's not possible to follow it blindly — MUTCD uses "Br" for "Bridge", but "Br" says "Branch" in Waze — but the resultant consistency would be nice.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
berestovskyy wrote: There is a check #116 "Out of range elevation", but I never saw a segment with undefined elevation :? Once you provide me a permalink to a segment with undefined elevation, the check will be implemented.
I've seen this check working before, are y'all saying it doesn't?
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
I like the beeps, feels like I'm using a computer from an old sci fi movie. But I'm fine from defaulting it to off.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
It's been like that in WME for a long time, Jay.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Oh, well, let me restate that — today's WME release replaced the older yellow circle with the current smaller dark blue circle as the representation of a "selected but uneditable node". Streets are shown at zoom 3 for reference but not editable because zoom 3 is typically too far out to edit city streets. So nodes incorporating streets aren't editable because the street it connects to is not editable.

I agree that there's a bug which requires you to reload if you do not deselect such a node before zooming in. If you deselect, zoom in, then reselect, it works. Feel free to report this on the WME release thread, but honesty I'd wait a day or so for the Places discussion to die down ;)
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
2)a) I would increase the margin of error significantly. For instance, this area, fairly unremarkable right turns, but with angles around 68°.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Wait, I have a problem with the "no right turn" check. Wouldn't it call for erroneous enabling of turns like the right turn from this segment?
dbraughlr wrote:
berestovskyy wrote: 2. No right* turn (for any drivable road)
* for the right-hand traffic
Report/highlight the segment if at the node:
a) there is a 90±5° right turn
Why not any segment between 80° and the continuation segment or 180° whichever is less?
Of course, when the continuation segment is <80°, it is the right turn.
The operative angle for determining the difference between turn and stay/exit/continue is 45°. Past that, I'm not really sure what you're saying. Are you suggesting right turns should be enabled for 170° turns?
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message