Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.
Post by sketch
berestovskyy wrote: Ok, how about that:
2. No right* turn (for any drivable road)
* for the right-hand traffic
Report/highlight the segment if at the node:
a) there is an up to 85° right turn
a1) and either this segment OR that right turn segment is longer than 300m (~1000 ft)
b) and that right turn segment is also drivable and non-private
c) and that right turn segment is not marked as closed
d) and the connectivity between those two segments is possible (road directions), but not enabled

Would that new a1) condition be sufficient to detect connectors and other possible exceptions?
a1) seems like it would be sufficient.

What do you mean by "up to 85°"? I would think it should apply for any angle (45º < angle ≤ 90º); i.e., any that would give a "turn right" instruction.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
Understood.

Although I will mention that departure angles between 135° and 180° will also give a "turn" instruction, but as angle increases the turn is substantially less likely to be allowed in fact. That's partially covered by the "too sharp turn angle" check, but there should be a neutral area between the two checks where Validator recommends neither enabling nor disabling that particular turn, since the answer in such cases will likely depend on circumstances.

In the meantime, I thought of a circumstance where basic right turns are disallowed. check out Street View on the service road at Aurora and Orion here — to prohibit drivers from cutting through the neighborhood when exiting the Interstate.

Though those segments are actually already highlighted by Validator with a warning...
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:

Post by sketch
Got it. So we are pretty much in accord, then. I believe convention is to refer to the angle between your heading before turning and your heading after turning, so, straight and slight right would be perhaps 20°. This is the "45°" referred to all over the place.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
berestovskyy wrote:
sketch wrote:check out Street View on the service road at Aurora and Orion here — to prohibit drivers from cutting through the neighborhood when exiting the Interstate.
Wow, very nice and rare example. I just wondering how can we detect such a situation... A turn from a Ramp/Highway to the regular street or lower? Any ideas?

Although the map is perfectly correct, there are few possibilities to suppress the warning in Validator at the moment:
1. Add a 24/7 time based turn restriction from highway to the street.

2. Make an exiting piece of the screet one way.

3. Make the screet private.

I know it's ugly but a tempory solution. So, shall I exclude inward connectivities warnings for the turns from highways/ramps to streets/parking lots/dirts?
No, that exclusion won't work. These turns are technically from a primary street to a street.

I think I previously had a bit of one-way segment at the end; I believe I changed it back because I figured it was now easy enough to see the no-right-turn signs in street view.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Perhaps for locked segments the Validator highlight could be displayed differently. Maybe a few dark or black stripes along the segment? Alternating lighter-darker colors?
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
j4m35ch3w wrote:On a side note, is there any chance you can allow street names (in the US) that start with "de", "de la", "del", "el" and "la" to not trigger the #170 rule? There are a number of streets in San Diego that start with those and they are 'correct'.

Examples:
https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=7&lat ... ts=6953500
https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lat ... ts=7077112
https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lat ... ts=7013094
https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=4&lat ... ts=7077129
https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lat ... ts=7094876

Many thanks!
- James
The street signs appear to capitalize the first word (and every word, in fact — using a "small caps" sort of font). I would personally prefer to use title case, as in "Ave de la Garza" or "Calle del Sol" (cf. "Avenue of the Americas").

I would not object to an initial lowercase letter if it were actually represented as such on the street sign. But I've yet to come across any such street signs in reality.
Haydenray wrote:I am not finding the "Udate extensions now" button in Chrome.
Enable Developer Mode.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
berestovskyy wrote:For US Country Managers (and not only)
Hi, I am provisionally willing to help out with this. The problem is I'm not familiar with regexp, but I looked over some of the character functions today and am willing to learn. I am, however, quite familiar with the US editing guidelines.

I'd prefer to keep the US checks rolled into the regular Validator, if that's okay.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
[STRIKE]Does a localization pack have to be installed the same way as Validator?

It's entirely possible I'm doing something wrong, but as a preliminary matter, should it be working if I have the localization pack installed in Tampermonkey but Validator installed from Chrome Web Store?[/STRIKE]

Actually, nevermind that. I figured out the problem, I had "130.enable" from an old forum post instead of "130.enabled" like in the example file.

Is there a way to change the severity of a custom check from Note? I don't see one in the Wizard example.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
BellHouse wrote:There are some nice instructions in this post.
That particular bit of code doesn't work anymore — some changes seem to have been made between that post and now. Start the Wizard and check out the current example given in the code comments, it's slightly different.

I've spoken to berestovskyy about it, it's now a known issue.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
BellHouse wrote:Maybe we are talking about different checks, but this piece of code works fine for me just now:

Code: Select all

"130.enabled": true,
  "130.severity": "warning",
  "130.params": {
    "titleEN": "Segment with alternative name",
    "solutionEN": "Delete the alternative name(s)",
    "problemEN": "The segment has at least one alternative name",
    "template": "${altStreet[0]}",
    "regexp": "^.+$"
  },
(I left away the localized parameters in my example)

If you put this into a localization script, the severity setting will only become active if you set WME to the correct language (so it won't if WME is set to English). On an english WME the same custom check will be a note, so one might call that part a bug, yes.
Then perhaps the severity is working for yours, but not working on EN-US localization packages:

Code: Select all

"130.enabled": true,
"130.severity": "warning",
"130.params": {
  "titleEN": "Missing directional on Freeway",
  "problemEN": "The Freeway segment is missing a directional (NSEW)",
  "solutionEN": "Add the directional for the signed direction of travel",
  "template": "${length}:${type}:${street}",
    "regexp": "/^[1-9][0-9]{1,9}:3:.*(?! [SNEW]$)..$/",
  },
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message