Updated segment data guidance for US

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Hello Wiki-sters,

I've been out of the Waze documentation game for a while, so I'm posting this here to find out next steps for updating the wiki. Based on a poll in the US State Manager forum, accessible by SMs, RCs, CMs and Champs alike, we have voted to make the following standard/guideline addition:

Affects: Any segment which 1) has a delivery address specified by the United States Postal Service, and 2) has primary segment City name which is different from the USPS address.

Standard: There shall be (an) alternate street(s) defining the USPS street/city combination.

For example:
Screen Shot 2016-11-12 at 10.32.25 AM.png
OR-240
(27.43 KiB) Downloaded 1288 times
Why: addresses for which we have no City defined in Waze (for map visualization purposes) are not searchable in Waze using a House Number nor a Residential Point Place.

I have documented several Q&A which may be of use, but not sure how that will fit in the wiki, or where. But can provide those on demand. (They are in the thread linked above.)
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

POSTER_ID:701618

Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by Inactive user -1697532064-
TIGERweb from the US Census Bureau is one of the easiest ways to see both city (corporations and CDPs) and ZIP code boundaries, and I think the original Waze city layer may be based on its data. Just check the ZCTA box to see ZIP codes. Once the ZIP code is determined for an area, the default city can be found using the USPS ZIP code lookup tool on the cities by ZIP code tab.
Inactive user -1697532064-
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
Galaxy S20 FE on Mint
Retired SM Ohio
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
-John 8:32

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
One of the things I think is important, is going to be guidance on how to find the USPS city. From what I've found, that isn't a very easy thing. Zip code maps are all over, but USPS delivery city for an address is hard to find.

So far, I've used https://eddm.usps.com/eddm/customer/routeSearch.action successfully, but it is not terribly friendly.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Machete808 wrote:Every Door Direct Mail, a mapping tool from USPS, produces a map with ZIP Code boundaries:
https://eddm.usps.com/eddm/customer/routeSearch.action
On this EDDM specifically, I believe that guidance on how to use that tool should be provided. You search by city name, and it shows you all of the routes which use that city name, which then means all those segments along those routes are using the same city name for addressing purposes, regardless of zip code.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
subs5 wrote:Northern Virginia specifically Fairfax County has thousands of steets that have CDP as the primary name and route just fine and do not use the mailing address.
Is this supposed to be rural areas only or as the post above says any location is US with different mailing address than the Waze CDP?
What this is intended to address is the segments which have no city data on them at all right now, and have no valid way to found in a Waze search result. This is primarily rural parts of the country where there are gaps of tens or hundreds of miles between cities. If we set the primary city on all of these, the city polygon could spread over thousands of square miles which are not part of the city.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I have made an update to the proposed wiki page/text, adding the questions & answers I posted previously. Is there anything else I need to do to get this published?
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
subs5 wrote:I understand and agree with changing for areas where there is a Routing problem. I was just trying to point out that the guidance put out has wording which implies change all areas in US to have postal address in the alt name. I would just word it differently so only in rural areas where needed and the HN or RPP does not work otherwise.
Basically just a small clarification so new editor(s) don't come across it and do a lot of work that really does not change the Routing or what app users see.
Like I said in other posts I support the change but would like the guidance to be a little more specific for when to implement.
Ok, I get what you're saying. There are places for which the city name which is set on the segment may be one or more names which are not the USPS address, and those other cities would be what someone living there would give as the city name to a friend routing to their house. In those cases, then the USPS address may be unnecessary, I agree. (But there also isn't any "harm" in having it in there.)

However, to continue moving forward, I think we can word the page properly, which I've tried to do now, so go take a look please.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Machete808 wrote:OK, the text for the proposed guidance is below. It's also hosted with images on this userpage:

https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/User:Machete ... ove_search
Hey, I want to get this page published. Where should it go?
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
PesachZ wrote:At this point it seems you have consensus and it is a US only page with US champ approval so all we need is to find a home for it.
I think the core message should be a section under here on the USA Road Names Page .

I would make a few tweaks though, having the whole discussion (and Q&A) in the page is a deviation from the typical 'user manual' style of our wiki pages. I want to separate the main content for inclusion in the city naming page, and then leave the rest as a subpage which can be linked to as "more details".

The text of the guideline currently is:
On segments which have "No City" set, an alternate segment is to have the city designated by the U.S. Postal Service
I think it would be better written as:
On segments which have the "None" checkbox marked for the primary city name, the city name designated by the U.S. Postal Service should be set as an alternate city name for that segment.
All that sounds reasonable.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by herrchin
PesachZ wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
PesachZ wrote:At this point it seems you have consensus and it is a US only page with US champ approval so all we need is to find a home for it.
I think the core message should be a section under here on the USA Road Names Page .
All that sounds reasonable.
Done!
The new "City names on segments" section is missing from Wazeopedia, presumably due to timing of the wiki edit vs. Wazeopedia import? The new City names page came over fine and is current.
herrchin
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message