Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.
Post by AndyPoms
bart99gt wrote:I read through the first few pages, and last few pages of this thread, and didn't see this mentioned.

Is Waze in the process of adopting standard USPS two letter state identifiers to TTS? As I'm sure everyone is aware, Waze currently just says the letters individually, it would be nice to have it actually pronounce the actual state name, either when used as part of a highway name, or as a City, State type reference.
This has been requested. However Waze doesn't say the letters in all cases, "CT" is pronounced "Court", "NY" is pronounced "North Why", etc.

We've also made a request to have things such as "CA-##", "NY-##", "MI-##", "LA-##" translate into the local "Route"/"Highway"/"El Ay"/etc name as well. This one is much longer term.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by AndyPoms
bart99gt wrote:
AndyPoms wrote:
bart99gt wrote:I read through the first few pages, and last few pages of this thread, and didn't see this mentioned.

Is Waze in the process of adopting standard USPS two letter state identifiers to TTS? As I'm sure everyone is aware, Waze currently just says the letters individually, it would be nice to have it actually pronounce the actual state name, either when used as part of a highway name, or as a City, State type reference.
This has been requested. However Waze doesn't say the letters in all cases, "CT" is pronounced "Court", "NY" is pronounced "North Why", etc.

We've also made a request to have things such as "CA-##", "NY-##", "MI-##", "LA-##" translate into the local "Route"/"Highway"/"El Ay"/etc name as well. This one is much longer term.
Very good, I figured that it probably had been, but sifting through 50 some pages would have been a bit tedious.
A lot of the State name stuff is covered in the Spreadsheet (linked to in the VERY first post).
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
USA Country Manager

Post by AndyPoms
Is it just me or does the second "Exit" in "Exit Right to Exit ##: SR-### / Main Ave / Anytown" sound like Egg-Sit? It really seems to me like they both sound different.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
USA Country Manager

Post by AndyPoms
PesachZ wrote:
AndyPoms wrote:Is it just me or does the second "Exit" in "Exit Right to Exit ##: SR-### / Main Ave / Anytown" sound like Egg-Sit? It really seems to me like they both sound different.
This has been know for a while it's a bug in the engine, the vendor will have to fix.
Ok. I'm just happy I'm not hearing things/going crazy...
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
USA Country Manager

Post by AndyPoms
Just got a UR that says "Opas" is not being changed to "Overpass". Tested in WME & I get "Oh-Pus" (like Mr. Holland's Opus).

"Opas" is on the list of working abbreviations from the first post in this (incredibly long) thread.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
USA Country Manager

Post by banished
Jr. = Junior in TTS, as in Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. I didn't see it in your list. I found that without the period, "Jr" induces TTS to say "jay are".

I expect the same result for "Dr." as in "Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd". Since most every town has a street honoring MLK, it's appropriate to include it in your extensive list. Nice work, by the way.
banished
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
GC, ARC, Veteran, CISSP, MCP

Post by banished
bmitch3020 wrote: Label: Geo Wash Pkwy
TTS: George Washington Parkway.
Any abbreviation other than the standard N, E, W, S, St, Rd, Ave, Dr., etc., needs to include a period. For example,

Label: Dr = TTS: Drive
Label: Dr. (note the period) = TTS: doctor

Label: Geo. Wash. Pkwy = TTS: George Washington Pkwy

Rationale: "Wash" is not wholly uncommon word in street names.
banished
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by banished
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:I know that NW, SW, NE, SE work fine as a prefix and are fully pronounced as you'd expect.
Yes, I meant to include those. But other than a very small set of abbreviations, such as those, it makes sense to put a period after words not contained in that set, e.g., "Dr." for doctor and "Dr" for drive; "Wash." for Washington, and "wash" (no period) for wash, as in Wash Ave.
banished
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by banished
Someone else suggested.

Absolutely...less is more.
banished
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by banished
jenncard wrote:Two things that I can confirm:
1) comma does add pause, so perhaps change your sandbox from / separators to , to make it easier?
2) the space before and after the / are critical! Recently encountered a "Blah blah Ave/ Irrelevant St" named exit and the "Ave" was pronounced "ayve", NOT expanded out to "avenue"
Argh! I've been saying this (about the commas) until I've come down with carpal-tunnel syndrome. Never-the-less, Waze said they'll put in a ticket to have the slash (with spaces on both sides) to make TTS treat it as a comma, but who knows when that will happen?

Meanwhile, though there was agreement (at the Meetup) to eliminate "US Hwy xx" in favor of "US-xx", there's still hesitancy to adopt it until Waze makes the shields work for that naming convention…which is the way I feel about the commas. :? I just want to do the right thing, but there still doesn't seem to be any consensus.
banished
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message