Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Custom Routes

Post by Airos4
Can we have a feature that will let me design my intended route on the computer, so that I can then save it to Waze? Every GPS software from Google to Magellan thinks that the fastest way to get from Glenside, PA to Atlantic City is to go straight down the gut of Philadelphia on Broad and then cut out the Ben Franklin. That may be true sometimes, but not during rush hour. I'd like to be able to click and drag a better way around it on my home PC, and then have Waze just prompt me along as I drive.
Airos4

POSTER_ID:4705178

Send a message

Post by Airos4
I disagree. The point of Waze is to assist the driver in doing what they want to do. My suggestion would continue to include me in the community of people reporting traffic, hazards, etc, and the routing server would still get information. The alternative is having Waze yell at me constantly to go a route that takes me no less than 45 minutes out of my way. I have all of the learning and suggestion settings on and I've been driving this same route for more than a month since I started using Waze, but it hasn't caught on yet.
Airos4
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Route-filtered events will be coming to the app.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
gettingthere wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Route-filtered events will be coming to the app.
But brian1366 wants to filter events on 'his' route not the Waze provided route...
If it's a route that Waze is presenting to you, whether it is a Waze route or a "custom route" (if we ever get that functionality in Waze, as it's entirely against the entire purpose of Waze), then the "show events on route only" filter would work the same way.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
elkanito wrote:It would be usefull if we can ask for routes with partial destinatons. It would help to "force" some routes that waze doesn't suggest by his own will. I imagine the clerk of the hotel saying "Why don't you take that avenue?" then we can ask Waze to go to our home with a partial destination on that avenue...
That's a potentially useful feature, but as has been posted here already, this is not the purpose of Waze (at this time).
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
It is totally counter to the purpose of Waze but people really like control despite using an app whose sole purpose is to not rely on programmed routes. :roll:
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
There is a use for such routes, but they are outside of Waze's current scope of the commuter and short-distance drives market.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
gcarey3 wrote:But I think it's probably wrong to assume that people always want to go somewhere the fastest or "most often used" way or that Waze knows all the variables that come into play when choosing a route. There should be a way to choose which way you go somehow and still get the excellent reporting capabilities that Waze has.
Waze's model and current focus remains on the commuting market: to work and home and some stops in between. It is unlikely, for the vast majority of drivers, that many people want to take the scenic or slower route to work.

As Waze matures and has that functionality nailed, they will (likely) expand into other areas of focus, like longer-distance routing, which then has a whole new set of possible and necessary features. One of those is selecting non-optimal routing. It will just not be any time soon.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by chris-his
WeeeZer14 wrote:
ctrobins wrote:I want a Custom Route so I can go on a specific ride on specific roads on my motorcycle. I don't want the 'fastest' or least traffic, I want the most scenic(on some roads).. and maybe 'least known roads'... or maybe some other parameter for road selection that is of my personal preference that the time I'm planning my route.

Is there a way to do this in Waze? For example... create a route in Google Maps and Import / convert it to Waze format?

Is this what 'Waze is all about'? If not, that's ok... I'll just search for some other method to achieve what i'm looking for! :) Thanks! - Craig
The primary purpose of Waze is to get you from home to work and back again each day in the shortest period of time. So taking the scenic route or pre-planning routes are outside of those goals.

P.S. - You can may be able to get a little bit of what you want for a scenic route by setting Waze to avoid Freeways.
A motorcyclist his better routes are not simply about being on or off the freeway. There are loads of roads leading through forests, mountains and past lakes that take longer but give a much better driving experience.

I understand WAZE is primarily about being able to get to work and back the fastest, but if I for ex. want to go through a forest, I still want to get to where I want to go, in the shortest amount of time. I do NOT want to be stuck in traffic on some local road when I go sightseeing, so basically I still need the things WAZE stands for, and I'd hate to have to switch to an alternative program for these things because I like WAZE a lot more.
chris-his
Send a message

Post by ctrobins
I want a Custom Route so I can go on a specific ride on specific roads on my motorcycle. I don't want the 'fastest' or least traffic, I want the most scenic(on some roads).. and maybe 'least known roads'... or maybe some other parameter for road selection that is of my personal preference that the time I'm planning my route.

Is there a way to do this in Waze? For example... create a route in Google Maps and Import / convert it to Waze format?

Is this what 'Waze is all about'? If not, that's ok... I'll just search for some other method to achieve what i'm looking for! :) Thanks! - Craig
ctrobins
Send a message