Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by levin
top_gun_de wrote:Hi guys,

this thread is about issues in the communication channels, it's about needed changes in the communication strategy. It is not about the top pressing issues in the editor, the app or the routing server. So please keep this thread focussed.

Thanks a lot,

Detlev
Correct.
The short list I gave were just examples for the effects of bad communication and ignoring users' feedback on the Waze client quality.
The specifics of these issues should be discussed in CenterCode, and country specific management should be discussed in other threads in the forums.
levin
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Samsung S23U - Android 13 - Latest Waze Beta
מתנדב מנהל ארצי בדימוס - Israel country manager

Post by levin
Assuming Waze (aka Product team) will be listening...
levin
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Samsung S23U - Android 13 - Latest Waze Beta
מתנדב מנהל ארצי בדימוס - Israel country manager

Post by lopaolo69
I think we already had many of this kind of drop of HQ-user communication flow but this time it's the worst one of all time.
I fully agree with Iain, there is something wrong in Waze since many months where the feeling with us is dropping down too much.
I hope Shirli is not the only one who wants to do something to improve friendliness.
Praying for Shirli.

Paolo

ps
disillusion is a common mood in the waze community... :(
lopaolo69
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by lopaolo69
The rating is the best message sent to the staff.

Paolo
lopaolo69
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by marcedli
Thank you, looks promising
marcedli
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by marcedli
DwarfLord wrote:
iainhouse wrote:We aren't employees
We may not technically be employees, but neither are we randoms from J.Q. Public. We are essential partners in Waze's public-private partnership.

I believe it is critical for Waze's long-term survival that both sides of that partnership acknowledge this. HQ mustn't look at the volunteers as somehow interchangeable or irrelevant, and the volunteers mustn't look at Waze as somehow better or more important.

HQ may be the rider and the volunteers may be the horse. But the rider needs the horse more than the horse needs the rider!
I never felt that we are interchangeable but in fact we are, and that's needed to keep the continuity in the community tasks. I'm ok with that.
I think we don't have to be afraid, HQ expresses their thankfulness and respect any time when they reach out to the community.
Probably the community (and the work they do) is the only reason why Google bought Waze.
I confidently believe that HQ members love the community in person as well and they cannot imagine their job/work without us, which I experienced thousands times during my years in waze.
marcedli
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

marcedli
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by marcedli
Traveling_Gav wrote:
In Australia we regularly have new editors ask what does Waze HQ want us to do about X to which the reply is they couldn't care less. Comply with the wiki and beyond that we will just agree as a country how we want to do it. That is an outrageous situation and for a company which relies on its community to update the maps I cant believe the level of contempt to be honest.
I’m editing the map for a while now... but never ever happened that the HQ told us what to do. Maybe it’s weird for a newbie, but everyone has to learn that Waze is unique in the market, there is no other enterprise which handles their community this way, or works this way.

Your country’s map is your business. Your “job” is to edit the map to reflect reality as much as it can. And Waze gives you the tools for it. Simple as that.

In the past 7-8 years there were zillions of improvements regarding the editing tools and possibilities. And over 90% of the new tools came because we (community) needed it. Maybe not all communities need all the tools, but our ask is usually heard.

So don’t expect that HQ will tell you how to edit your map. It’s your business. Their job is to support you with the WME and make a good enough navigation system in your country.

Have fun,

Marcell
marcedli
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by MauricioCGB
Nomenclator1677 wrote:I totally agree on what you said so well, Iain!

Each of us could see the cup half full or half empty. For me, it is always better to see it half full
I fully agree.
Still far from very good communication, but much better.
We can ask for more, but we should also thank for what we got.

Enviado usando Tapatalk
MauricioCGB
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by mikupoiss
I'm just a low level editor from a reasonably fresh map country but I just wanted to add my two cents as I'm a Waze client (Android) beta tester.

*I can't name the things I bring as examples down below due to beta status but I know that many editors are also Waze client beta testers and they should understand what I mean.

This general corporate attitude that plagues WME ecosystem has a reach into the client side also.
We get a feature butchered, because "statistics" show that it's almost unused and we get a feature that nobody asked for and that feature doesn't even function an a basic level.
More often very annoying features are reported by HQ to work as designed and left as they are. We have many bugs that are more than 6 months old (which means they are also existing in the live versions on GPlay). Some things require more time to be fixed but for example fixing a navigation line thickness takes literally a programmer to change a symbol or two (I'm not 100% sure on the exact digits - it was proved by one client beta tester some time ago) in one line of code and that can't be fixed. I can only assume why so...

This all reflects a huge corporate workflow but last time Waze was a rather small company. Does Google really have that big eyes?
mikupoiss
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message