Use of "feet" as unit of measurement

You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Moderators: Unholy, bextein, MGODLEW

Forum rules
Waze staff do not read this forum

This forum is made for community discussions only.
To submit a feature request to Waze, read and follow the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features".

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Re: Use of "feet" as unit of measurement

Postby jimjeffcoat » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:44 pm

1 yard = 3 feet. The math doesn't seem all that difficult to me.
jimjeffcoat

Postby johndoglesswright » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:20 pm

Totally agree. Please can we have yards as an option
johndoglesswright

Postby kahlcolimon » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:01 pm

Did this proposal have a link for voting in the Waze Suggestion Box?
Kahl Colimon
Waze Colombia Coordinator/MTE Marshall
Waze Local Champ Mentor/Country Manager
App Beta Leader/WME Beta Tester

[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
kahlcolimon
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby loz_dude » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:47 am

I'm really surprised this still isn't fixed, although I can see that very little effort is being spent on feature improvements in Waze.

I'm British, but spend most of my time in Malaysia, where I use metric measurements in Waze.
On trips to the UK, I switch Waze to use miles, which is fine on long motorway trips,
but for navigation in a town it's really annoying to see that a turn is in 500 feet or 150 feet - that isn't natural for me (the maths to convert to yards may be simple, but I need to be 100% focused on driving when I'm in a strange town with lots of turnings and one-way systems!).

Why can't the people at Waze accept that people in the UK use miles and yards for driving distances, not miles and feet?
Does someone at Waze think that it's just a temporary problem, and in a few years the British will either go completely metric or adopt the US style? Just accept that's not going to happen (just like US people will always prefer feet to yards), and let your developers add a miles/yards option for the UK...
loz_dude

Postby nad1927 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:25 am

This is a suggestion---ignore it if you want to: Try to use yards rather than feet. I'm an American my whole life, but my main sport uses meters. When I see something like 230 yards---it's easy for me to just say, oh, it's a little less than 230m. But 800 ft actually requires me to convert. Runners, especially anyone who ran track, prefer yards to feet. The old track events were 110 (yds), 220, 440, 880 and mile. Today all the tracks have been relined in metric, and high school cross country uses 3km and 5km, but runners still think minutes per mile. In the past, I felt I could handle both sets of units. The last two years, though, I've been doing extensive engineering calculations in both units. You'd think it would be easier the more you used both, but it's not. It's like I'm getting more removed from really understanding either. Anyway, I find my brain obviously prefers metric, and most engineering calculations are easier, even if I have to convert back to English at the end. Using yards helps me, and probably is easier for foreigners living here. Sorry for the rant, but my brain just can't take it anymore.

And since this is a feature request section: I want miles for travel distance and speed---because using km in America would be ludicrous---but I want meters for turns when the distance is below 1000m or so. I believe foreign travelers to the U.S. would prefer a miles/meters setting because almost all vehicles here have gauges in miles, and obviously the signage is all in miles. But once it gets to human distances, meters are the most comfortable unit.
nad1927

Postby nad1927 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:29 am

retrocruizer wrote:I disagree. I prefer the usage of feet. Some of the places like turns and things in my area are real close together so by using feet instead of yards will give me a more precise description a foot is smaller than a yard. Sometimes we have two turn offs going in the same direction that are real close together.

Honestly I don't believe using feet is more precise than yards or meters, because of the speeds involved.

But I do respect that you prefer feet, which is why Waze should offer a variety of settings in the preferences. And I'm still holding out for an option to use miles (to match the speedometer and road signs) and meters for turns when it's less than about 1000 meters.
nad1927

Postby NigelCharman » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:27 pm

Not living in the US, use of feet feels weird, and I have to do some maths in my head to work out what it means. If you don't get that, imagine if it gave distances in inches. " Next junction 7000 inches" is that a long way or not?
NigelCharman

Postby NPBA » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:09 am

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Yards is planned.

I see that "yards" was planned over a year ago. What has happened? Really need miles/metres or miles/yards. Miles/feet just does not work (at least in UK).
NPBA

Postby NPBA » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:02 pm

+1. Would be happy with a miles/metres option too! Currently using Km/m for units, as metres/yards far more important that miles in turn directions.
NPBA

Postby PaulHorwitz » Sun May 08, 2016 5:38 pm

It seems incredible that the App does not have yards as a measurement option in the UK - feet are simply not used for navigation purposes in vehicles
PaulHorwitz

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App Feature Requests