Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.
Post by iamrioo
In WME Beta the closure date are messing around, I am sorry if its already reported before :D
closure.jpg
(86.65 KiB) Downloaded 981 times
iamrioo
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Posts: 824
Has thanked: 315 times
Been thanked: 286 times
https://image.ibb.co/iUOGcS/baper.png
telegram me
The best of people are those who bring most benefit for others

Post by iamrioo
I am about to type to calm down the error report here and lets hope TB dev work his magic hand to solving our issue...

and now its fixed...

Hail all dev :)
iamrioo
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Posts: 824
Has thanked: 315 times
Been thanked: 286 times
https://image.ibb.co/iUOGcS/baper.png
telegram me
The best of people are those who bring most benefit for others

Post by iamrioo
KB_Steveo wrote:Edit - post deleted. Problem fixed by disabling WME Closest Segment
...and now we didnt see any post you sent regarding the issue :D which was?
iamrioo
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Posts: 824
Has thanked: 315 times
Been thanked: 286 times
https://image.ibb.co/iUOGcS/baper.png
telegram me
The best of people are those who bring most benefit for others

Post by Ianinessex
How is the toolbox fix going? I feel like I am working with my hands tied. :(

Thanks for all the good work in providing these excellent scripts that make it all much easier (and more fun). :D
Ianinessex
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
Posts: 2596
Answers: 1
Has thanked: 940 times
Been thanked: 1041 times

Post by iamrioo
Your country is not registered for closures in WME Fancy Permalink.
Please, send me this number: 102 and a link to the closure forum of your country to the Toolbox thread.

posting.php?mode=post&f=1418
iamrioo
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Posts: 824
Has thanked: 315 times
Been thanked: 286 times
https://image.ibb.co/iUOGcS/baper.png
telegram me
The best of people are those who bring most benefit for others

Post by impulse200
Not sure if this was already reported.
After some time editor hangs on saving. I.e. edit counter on Save button is reset but editor remains dimmed and nothing more happens. Another effect - after some edits and/or saves I am unable to select anything in editor. Nor segments nor places. Bot issues requires editor reload. All mentioned effects gone if Toolbox is disabled.

Is there is anything could be done to fix this?
impulse200
Posts: 48
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 9 times

Post by IMDashti
Some editor is contacting me regarding a loop issue at this location:

https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=row&lo ... ,365705605

I explained to him that this is not a loop because return arrows on both sides are disabled. However, he is relying on WME Toolbox's suggestion. In your opinion, is Toolbox right about this being a loop? Or, am I right in that it is not a loop?
IMDashti
Area Manager
Area Manager
Posts: 140
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 15 times

Post by IMDashti
vince1612 wrote:That is a 2-segments loop, loops should never be less than 3 segments (minimum). Red/green arrows or the segments' directions don't matter. The editor who contacted you is right.
Yes, I know that this is a 2-segment loop. However, this loop does not confuse Waze. Please read this paragraph about two-segment loops:

https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Loop#Two-segment_loops

Don't stop at the problem's description, but also read why this is a problem (from the sentence saying: "They can cause a problem for the Waze app because..."). Ask yourself: Does this apply for the case I gave?

My personal judgement: No, it does not apply. Waze will not be confused about which way to go. Since the cause does not apply, there's no need for an extra node.
IMDashti
Area Manager
Area Manager
Posts: 140
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 15 times

Post by IMDashti
turbomkt wrote: Here's why Waze can get confused - regardless of whether turn restrictions are set or they are one way segments, Waze can choose either segment to route across if it's a two segment loop. I have seen this first hand and will never leave a two segment loop - Waze routed the wrong way on a one way segment.
What do you mean by "regardless"? How can Waze take a segment where a turn arrow is disabled?!!

You say "Waze can choose either segment", but how?!! If turn is enabled for one direction to only one segment, how can Waze route through another segment?!!
jm6087 wrote:In addition to my previous point, we have to remember that Waze goes from node to node, not segments. Using your example:

You have the WB segment (ID 365705604) with Node A 287525221 and Node B 287452950
You have the EB segment (ID 365705605) with Node A 287452950 and Node B 287525221

Since Waze goes node to node, If I have heading WB and I reach Node 287525221 and the app is trying to get me to Node 287452950, how does it know which segment to take? It is my understanding that it is not actually looking at which direction a one-way segment is going, it only knows that you can go from Node 287525221 to Node 287452950. It is possible that it will take you down the wrong one-way segment to complete your trip.
In reality, by having the 2 segment loop with one-way segments, you are creating 2 two-way segments by mistake.
I was okay with you until you asked "how does it know which segment to take?" After that, your answer seems very confusing in regard to the situation presented. If it got to Node 287525221, there's only one way to get to Node 287452950, how can Waze get confused?! How is it possible that it will take me to the wrong one-way segment if there's only one-way to go?!! In other words, I see one option for Waze to route me from Node 287525221 to Node 287452950, which is through the WB one-segment. What is the other routing option for Waze that will make it confused?!

And when you say "you are creating 2 two-way segments by mistake", I don't get it!! Excuse me for not understanding, but please explain how is that?!!
vince1612 wrote: I'm more than familiar with it, thus why I gave you my first response. It also says that "every loop must be made up of three or more segments" and to "correct two-segment loops".
Despite me quoting the guidance about loops, but I did that because the guidance is talking about 2-segment loops created using two-way segments. In this case, I understand why Waze would be confused. But the situation we are talking about is different. It is not a 2-two-way-segment loop. It is a 2-one-way-segment loop with turn arrows disabled for turning back at both ends. This should not cause a confusion to Waze. Just taking one case of loops and generalizing it (as Toolbox does) is not accurate.

I hope to get specifics about how can Waze get confused in the particular situation I presented. An don't say "because it is a 2-segment loop" because when segment direction and turn arrows are put in consideration, there's no loop. Show me the loop!!
IMDashti
Area Manager
Area Manager
Posts: 140
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 15 times

Post by IMDashti
iainhouse wrote:Waze can get confused because the client does not know if the segments are one way, or if the turns are disabled.

The route given by the routing server to the client is a list of nodes. If part of that route includes 2 consecutive nodes that have more than one segment connecting them, there is no way to be sure (from our point of view) which segment will be chosen. Turn arrows are irrelevant - the client doesn't do the routing (as long as the network connection is up), the routing server does. The client does what it's told and doesn't double-check to see if the route it is given is valid. After all, by definition, the server will be more up-to-date than cached client map data.

This can lead to the client directing the user along the "wrong" segment. It can even lead to the audible instructions saying to take one route, whilst the display on-screen shows the other route. This has been reported by users.

It can also, if the client makes a report, lead to a UR in which the route follows one course whilst the instructions displayed for the route are for the other course.

It's really not worth a lot of argument. ;) 2-segment loops have demonstrably caused problems in the past. Toolbox highlights them for that reason. Adding an extra node certainly does no harm whatsoever. If you really don't want to add an extra node, then don't. Sooner or later, someone else using Toolbox will come along and do so.
Now I see the problem!! It is a matter of how the routing server communicating the route to the app. It communicates only a series of nodes regardless of the nature of segments linking these nodes. In other words, the app is blind about some details of segments it is displaying. It just finds any segment going to the next node.

I think this should be formulated in a clearer way in the guidance about loops.

However, I wonder if developers can suggest a better way to communicate the route information to the app to avoid such problem. Yes, it might add few extra data to the route information received, but it will solve this editing problem forever.
IMDashti
Area Manager
Area Manager
Posts: 140
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 15 times