The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by shmupi
Thank you.

Can you give us an example of the new format ?

It will be helpful in case that all scripts are going to brake.

Thanks,
Shmupi
shmupi
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Israel Coordinator & Community Leader & GC
Country Manager : Israel, Jordan, Thailand, Romania
Resolved Update Requests : 190K

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/904/2695 ... 9ffd_b.jpg

Post by RPeMS
delilush wrote:Hi Everyone,

as you all know we're constantly working on restructuring and optimizing the WME funtionality. As part of these expected improvements we are also renewing the layer panel. In the course of this process we have a major change in Permalink structures coming up.

Starting with one of the next versions of WME Permalinks will be created in a new format.
Currently they are very long and accumulate data in an inefficient manner. Our planned solution will make permalinks shorter, more manageble and still include relevant data. I will try to get you a sample permalink to look at.

Here is an outline of the expected timeline.

In one of the upcoming WME releases: WME will start creating Permalinks in the new format.

For about 4 months after the change: both old and new Permalink formats will be functional.

After 4 months: Old Permalink format will expire and not be functional anymore.

We will keep you updated on details of this change.

Best,
Daliah
Hi Daliah,

Good News!

A doubd, If we change in PL, the Word "editor" for "Livemap" nowadays it's possible view in Livemap.

With this changes, the ideia Will be keep with this possibility?

Thanks!

Regards
RPeMS
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor
Last edited by RPeMS on Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rafael - Rio de Janeiro
Country Manager-BR, State Manager-RJ/ES

Comentário foi útil? Pode dar um "joinha" ali em cima!? :)
[Links Importantes]

https://s.waze.tools/c5s.pngimages/ranks/Expert_Badge.png images/ranks/CountryManager_Badge.png

Post by nzahn1
Great news, thanks for the info.
nzahn1
Coordinators
Coordinators

Rank 6 | US Local Champ | Mid-Atlantic Coordinator | iOS Beta | WME Beta
WME Profile | E-mail | MD Twitter | MDForum | MDWiki

Post by RussPA
I'm just thinking of all the PLs posted here in the forums, some of which refer to issues that may be months old but still relevant. If the old PL format stops working, then all those links go dead. Unless they will be mass converted to the new format.
RussPA  
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 1

Assistant Regional Coordinator - NOR
Global Champ - US
WME Beta Community Coordinator

Post by Nomenclator1677
Good to hear that! Thanks

But what about the old permalinks throughout the forums ? Will they be convert to new permalink format ?
Nomenclator1677
Coordinators
Coordinators
AM Massif des Bauges / Bout du Lac d'Annecy
https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... _0M_6c.png
“Il faut sinon se moquer, en tout cas se méfier des bâtisseurs d’avenir. Surtout quand pour bâtir l’avenir des hommes à naître, ils ont besoin de faire mourir les hommes vivants. L’homme n’est la matière première que de sa propre vie. Je refuse d’obéir.”
~ Jean Giono ~

Post by Nomenclator1677
iainhouse wrote:...The vast majority of permalinks will be for things like unlock or help requests and will never be clicked again after a week or two. I question how many permalinks in posts older than a year will ever be used again...
For us in Morocco, as we are drawing the map, we need to know where we are in the drawing, province by province.

So, we registered the data for each Major, minor highways and at the end, we are veryfing that the data are accurate and most of all that the roads are complete.

To be sure of all of that, we have :

- a gsheet where we are loading all the datas we have for each roads we already drew (beginning and end),
- a subforum where we keep informing the community where we are up to.

So for us, until all the road are drawn, we need to keep alive all the permalinks we are collecting. That why I asked Waze staff about those old permalinks.

I understand very well for the already advanced community they don't need to keep alive those permalinks; but for a lot country that are still drawing the map, I think it's important to keep them alive.

But maybe we are the only ones that need that, are we ?

That gives us a real time progress about the map
Nomenclator1677
Coordinators
Coordinators
“Il faut sinon se moquer, en tout cas se méfier des bâtisseurs d’avenir. Surtout quand pour bâtir l’avenir des hommes à naître, ils ont besoin de faire mourir les hommes vivants. L’homme n’est la matière première que de sa propre vie. Je refuse d’obéir.”
~ Jean Giono ~

Post by Nomenclator1677
delilush wrote:...
Legacy format
Maintaining a legacy format for permalinks is resource intensive. This is the reason that it was decided to only keep them at full function for a limited amount of time. After the transition year, the layer information for old permalinks will stop working, however lat, long, zoom and id are expected to still be functional on old permalinks...
That means, we will have a year to convert old permalinks to the new format.

Thanks for the work we will have :evil:
Nomenclator1677
Coordinators
Coordinators
~ Jean Giono ~

Post by Nomenclator1677
hmarian wrote:...The layer information will be lost, not the coordinates and object id. Updating old Permalink is a significant undertake and may be a waste of time if the information preserved as stated.
1) If...

2) We need the information (as stated above) keep going until all the roads we are drawing are complete. As we are working on them for already 3 years, I don't know yet if we'll be done in 1 year.
Nomenclator1677
Coordinators
Coordinators
~ Jean Giono ~

Post by sketch
Glodenox wrote:Daliah: has it been considered to just drop the layers information altogether from the permalink? It should be looked at by all communities, but so far I haven't seen anyone actually relying on it (quite the opposite, actually).
Agreed, I think it would be nice to include in the Settings panel an "ignore permalink layers" option.

Daliah, the way you described it sounds like it might be OK, but not optimal. Sometimes, an editor might be running through a long series of PLs, for example when dealing with closures, that have been saved somewhere by a different editor with different layer preferences. In this case, it is a burden on the editor to have to reset the layers every time.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • tier one • new orleans
2017 chevrolet ss sedan 6mt • slipstream blue metallic
https://badges.fuelly.com/images/smallsig-us/557693.png

Post by ottonomy
delilush wrote: a. If you continue without making changes in the layer settings your default configuration will remain.
This part sounded ok...
delilush wrote: b. If you do adjust the settings in the link it will become your default configuration.
But this part sounds absolutely BAD.

There are certain layers which junior editors almost always have active, and which senior editors almost never do. The most common would be Editable Areas. Because Country Managers have editing access to places outside their driven or specifically managed areas, they often work in areas where the map is dimmed in WME if Editable Areas are turned on. If the new operation of permalinks makes the included layer settings become default once you change any of them, then this will be extremely frustrating for CMs, who often need to immediately disable Editable Areas after opening permalinks.
Glodenox wrote:... Personally I even prefer to not have the layers information within the permalink at all as I've never had the need for that information from someone else. If they say 'look at the place at this location', I know that I need to enable the places layer (though it will already become enabled if the permalink contains a place id).

Daliah: has it been considered to just drop the layers information altogether from the permalink? It should be looked at by all communities, but so far I haven't seen anyone actually relying on it (quite the opposite, actually).
In my experience, there has been consistent unanimous support from the editing community for removing layer properties from permalinks completely, unless they include specific map elements which require layer(s) to be active. The NA Champs have requested this, or similar solutions, numerous times, and the scripts which have been written with the express purpose of stripping layers from permalinks are hugely popular. In fact, many state or local communities require their editors to use these scripts.
sketch wrote:... I think it would be nice to include in the Settings panel an "ignore permalink layers" option.
This would be fantastic!

There could also be a button to override that setting for a single tab/session, something like "Load current permalink layers"
ottonomy
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
Country Manager & Global Champ - United States
Regional Coordinator - Southwest USA
Area Manager - Southern California