This forum is a place to discuss new ideas and also new wiki updates will be placed here.

[Page Update Proposal] Highway exit naming in Belgium

Post by BertZZZZ
Highway exit naming in Belgium is confusing.
- Every Exit has a name given (big white displays - with Exit <Nr> <official name>. This display is a approx 1 to 2 kilometers away from the exit. To be used according to the current wiki page https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Benelux_Ramp. The official name may or may not be meaningful to a driver.
- This official name is not used anymore in the big (blue) overhead signs, where typically the destinations are leading (mostly, but not always, completed with the exit number)

This may be very confusing for a driver. Especially when the official name is referring to something very local.

Proposal: Include the 2 first destinations in the the exit naming followed by the formal naming between brackets. Exit <Nr> <Destination1> <Destination2> (<official name>)

example "Sortie 8 Louvrange" becomes Sortie 8 Louvain - Grez-Doiceau (Louvrange)
https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=row&lo ... s=88225743
BertZZZZ
Country Manager
Country Manager

POSTER_ID:17097972

Send a message

Post by acidoxy
For me official name is the most important, and asked like that in the wiki. Number + official name.
If you have to communicate with the authorities (for example to declare an accident) the official name is the important one.
You can follow the vocal instruction to exit (without listening to the name) or visually.
Most of time, at the end of the exit, segment split in 2 and there is the exact direction. For example keep left to N...> liège or keep right to N... direction Andenne (not real situation)
acidoxy
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by acidoxy
Like you say, everybody will remember exit 25... Name doesn't matter.
In most of case the name of the exit is the name of the closest city. Not the direction of a city 20 km away of this exit.
If we had to change something I would go for the proposal of Wim.
acidoxy
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message
Last edited by acidoxy on Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by acidoxy
Yes some UR's sometimes for asking to give the official name like here: https://www.waze.com/fr/editor/?env=row ... st=9683576 and other to give the usual name like here: https://www.waze.com/fr/editor/?env=row ... st=9763887
For the second one for example, you'll never find press article with sortie 14 Namur-centre but always sortie 14 Bouge.
For me Wiki is clear, no matter what some wazers thinks. Number + official name
Then indeed for me... No problem
acidoxy
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message
Last edited by acidoxy on Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by acidoxy
Liste envoyée sur mail perso et la solution de Wim est la meilleure pour moi. A Débattre.
acidoxy
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by BertZZZZ
Good proposal as well.
I reviewed today IRL quite some exits, conclusion
- Many white signs = main reference on blue signs (E.g. E314 Afrit 15 Leuven, goes to Leuven indeed) => no addition required
- Some white signs give one destination out of many. E40 Exit Boutersem goes to Boutersem / Bevekom /Bierbeek => here reference to Boutersem comes first => full chain = ok, no addition or removal required.
- Some white signs are not or only partially referring to the naming on the exits. => Include in white sign (one way or another)

Other conclusion: we are not consistent in what we use across different exits on the same highway.
BertZZZZ
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by BertZZZZ
The official name is for most drivers confusing, if there is no relation with the reality at the exit. Confusion is what we try to avoid by proper naming conventions (and exceptions when needed).
Therefore the current wiki description is suboptimal. I looks like being translated from other countries, not taking the Belgian (absurd) reality into account that official names are not repeated at the location where it matters.

I do not agree on the communication with the authorities: one that has an accident at the exit, will not remember the "official" name if it differs from the displays at the exit. If you ask anyone that is heading to Leuven from the E411, guess 99% will refer to the "Exit 25 Louvain" not to Louvrange. Seen the number of exits in that area, having the wrong name is confusing. As a user, you start thinking waze is suggesting something else than expected. In this example: the road does not split in 2.
BertZZZZ
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by BertZZZZ
On the place to discuss: advice is to use the forum for rule changes as documented in the intro text for this wiki subforum. Please advise where to continue.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
BertZZZZ
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by BertZZZZ
Proposal text for benelux wiki : https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/User:BertZZZZ/Benelux_Ramp
Let me know your corrections & suggestions.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
BertZZZZ
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by BertZZZZ
After a discussion on Slack, the proposal page is updated:
- will move into production in 2 days (so we can start translating)
https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/User:BertZZZZ/Benelux_Ramp

Let me know your comments here or on Slack.
BertZZZZ
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message