This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

State Specific Routes

Post by R4CLucky14
Recently, some states have been naming their state routes in various ways. For example, I believe Pennsylvania is "PA-XX", etc.

This idea should probably be built upon. For example, from what I read, I believe Maryland editors want their State Routes to be called "Route XX". However, Tennesseans normally refer to roads as "Highway XX".

Instead of the map editors inventing hacks and disagreements to get standards like these to work, I'm thinking we should ask Waze formally to set something up. Basically, I'm asking what you guys think of introducing (over the long-term), a standard of naming state routes "[State Abbreviation] - [Route Number]".

Then, each State could come to an agreement on how for Waze to display and pronounce these roads. Waze, if all works well, would parse similar to this:

(WME Name) "TN-153" -> (Display) "Hwy 153" / (TTS) "Highway 153"

This system would also allow the State's to eventually receive State-specific shielding with little headache.

If you guys think this is a decent enough of an idea, maybe we should acquire a list of the State's and how they would want it to be displayed on the client and sent to the TTS engine. Then we could see if Waze would comply with that list.

Here is the link:
https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?ci ... vuxcisLStQ
R4CLucky14

POSTER_ID:4221419

Send a message
Last edited by R4CLucky14 on Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tennessee Editors, paritipate in our Wikipage

Area Manager: Southeast Tennessee, USA. Includes Athens, Benton, Cleveland, Englewood, Greenback, Maryville, Madisonville, and surrounding areas.
Phone: HTC Thunderbolt, Verizon, Android 2.3.4.

Post by jasonh300
Local naming referring to "John F Kennedy Ezpressway", rather than State Hwy 8999.

I'm not drunk...I'm using Tapatalk.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
Is what you're wanting to do found on signs on the roads in question?
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
I've still got stretches of interstate that won't generate a shield.

I'm not drunk...I'm using Tapatalk.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
R4CLucky14 wrote:
jasonh300 wrote:Is what you're wanting to do found on signs on the roads in question?
If referring to shields, until they actually, as you guys pointed out, get them work as expected . . . there needs to be a display for the client in the event no shield is generated.
I'm talking about the street signs along these roads. What do they say?

Shielding isn't relevant right now because it doesn't work in most cases. That was my original main concern for not following a national standard. If they get shielding working, or implement a shield specific naming field (variation on alternate name...another thing that currently doesn't work) as discussed at the Wazemeet, all of this work is going to be for nothing.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by R4CLucky14
Here is a spreadsheet we can work off of (anyone with this link should be able to edit ):

R4CLucky14
Send a message

Area Manager: Southeast Tennessee, USA. Includes Athens, Benton, Cleveland, Englewood, Greenback, Maryville, Madisonville, and surrounding areas.

Post by R4CLucky14
CBenson wrote:Hey, there's no DC.
I'm terribly sorry about that. I tend to forget about D.C., helps me forget about the crazy feds.
R4CLucky14
Send a message

Post by R4CLucky14
AndyPoms wrote:
R4CLucky14 wrote:Here is a spreadsheet we can work off of (anyone with this link should be able to edit ):

Can we include the US-## in this list too? Different states refer to them differently as well...
Regretfully, if Waze parses "US-##" in a certain way, it would parse that way for all NA clients.

"TN-xx" would parse the same for all NA clients, as would "MD-xx" and "PA-xx", etc.

The only way to change how "US-xx" is stated is for Waze to use the state field, and then approach a similar method. If Waze wishes to go this method, then all state routes could be "SR-xx" for all states, be sure the State field is correct, and ask Waze to parse it accordingly. However, I'm unsure if Waze would be able to incorporate that.
R4CLucky14
Send a message

Post by R4CLucky14
CBenson wrote:I really think US highways should be displayed and spoken consistently across the country.
+2
R4CLucky14
Send a message

Post by R4CLucky14
jasonh300 wrote:I think we're wasting a lot of time and effort trying to organize all these local variations. You won't find anything like that in any atlas or map. We should agree to one standard and use it. My vote is XX-## with XX being the USPS state abbreviation. Then just pronounce the name of the state and be done with it. People visiting from other places will be able to understand it, and locals will be able to understand it. If they can't understand it, they shouldn't be behind the wheel.

All this "display this and pronounce that" is going to make Waze overly complicated, make more work for the map editors, make things difficult for foreign visitors, and waste the developers time while there are much more important features they could be working on.
I'm inclined to disagree. Of all variations, I never heard anyone refer to a Tennessee highway, local or or not, as "Tennessee-XX".

The Wiki says it best:
State highways: When naming ramps and exits that lead to state highways, local naming should be used. This will maximize the clarity of navigation prompts for the majority of users in a given area.
-- http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/How_ ... n-ramps.29

And I'm not proposing this to be an immediate suggestion, but more of a long-term outlook. That, when Waze finishes the more important aspects, we can put this in place.
R4CLucky14
Send a message