[Script] WME Validator v2020.11.1 (PLACES BETA)

Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein, Glodenox, JustinS83

Forum rules
Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

DO NOT START a new thread unless it is about a new idea. Keep discussion of existing tools within the main thread for that tool.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Re: [Script] WME Validator 1.1.6 / 06.01.2015

Postby SuperDave1426 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:33 am

Thanks for that. Though, I wonder if the type numbers have changed with the newest version of WME. When I brought up the settings and went to set up the custom template, a regexp value of /1/ resulted in nearby Primary Street and Major Highway types lighting up. Didn't have a Minor Highway nearby, so I don't know about that. The Street type street didn't light up at all, and that chart you quoted says that 1 is a Street. When I changed the regexp to /1$/, the Major Highway was no longer highlighted, but Primary Street still was. And plain old regular Street types remained dark...

Using /20/ didn't light up anything that was nearby, including some PLRs....

So yea, I'm wondering of some of the type numbers have moved around.... :?:

Edit: A bit of searching found this article, listing ${typeRank} values, which was what I wanted anyway. :-) However, the values listed there for PLR, Dirt Road, and Private Road do not cause those road types to be highlighted. I tried a couple of other (Major Highway, Primary Street), and those did light up.

Something seems to have changed, all right, although I'm not sure what. Color Highlighter will highlight those three road types if I check "Highlight a Road Type" and then pick on of them from the drop-down. So Highlighter can figure out what those three are, but using the numbers from that article with Validator doesn't do anything.... :?
Last edited by SuperDave1426 on Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby SuperDave1426 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:56 pm

qwaletee wrote:The reason you get multiple segments types highlighted for /1/ is that it also matches /10/../19/ and /21/. You need to either use a matching separators before/after the template and expression, or use the explicit start/end codes in the expression.

I understand that. I simply included it for completeness, to show that it's working as expected for those types.

Oh, reading again - I didn't think about /1/ tripping a /21/ type as well. Ok, so then if I want type 1, I'll be sure to use /^1$/ instead to completely isolate it (I do *NIX, so I grok regexps :)). Thanks for that. However....

My concern is that using the rankType for Private Road, Dirt Road, and Parking Lot Road completely fail to highlight those types of road. That's really the bigger concern for me. :-)
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby SuperDave1426 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:46 pm

So, no word on why when looking for ${typeRank} values that used to highlight Private, PLR & Dirt Roads no longer works?
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby SuperDave1426 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:06 am

sketch wrote:
SuperDave1426 wrote:So, no word on why when looking for ${typeRank} values that used to highlight Private, PLR & Dirt Roads no longer works?

They work for me. I just tested them all, and all are working, except that Service Road no longer exists, of course.

Well, I'd just love to know how you're doing it. Because as you can see here, I've selected a typeRank value of 7, which is a PLR, and none of the nearby PLRs on the map display are showing up as highlighted....

Edit: Ok, now this is interesting.... I played around with it a bit more and found that it won't highlight Street type, either. It does light up Minor Highway, Major Highway, Freeway, and Primary Street. They happily glow when I select those types. But everything from Street down doesn't seem to be showing for me. Doesn't seem to matter if I'm using the regular road or experimental road type.

Now, I have seen that if I click on a road type that I've set the typeRank to show, the left pane will have green text saying "User-defined custom check (green)." So apparently it is recognizing the road type; it's just not actually highlighting anything for me lower than Primary Street.... What the heck....? :?:
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby SuperDave1426 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:14 pm

Problem solved, thanks to all for the various suggestions.

Problem was firmly of the PEBKAC variety. :oops:

I didn't notice that the options to exclude Streets, Service Roads, Other Drivable and non-drivable were turned on, for those curious. You may begin the regaling of me with "duh" comments now. :mrgreen:
Last edited by SuperDave1426 on Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager

Re: [Script] WME Validator 1.1.8 / 07.05.2015

Postby SuperDave1426 » Thu May 07, 2015 8:38 pm

Thanks for maintaining this highly useful WME addon. It's appreciated, and this is a highly useful tool used by many.

That said, this recent flurry of messages here is a prime example of why hardwiring an arbitrary "expire" date into such an important and widely used tool is a bad thing, regardless of what the "motivation" behind it is. If you happen to not be able to get around to doing an update (especially if it's for no other purpose than to update the "expire" date) by the deadline, then a lot of people get inconvenienced for no reason. It isn't broken - it just refuses to work because the date has passed.

Just sayin'....
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby SuperDave1426 » Fri May 08, 2015 10:21 pm

james890526 wrote:
Thortok2000 wrote:
SuperDave1426 wrote:Thanks for maintaining this highly useful WME addon. It's appreciated, and this is a highly useful tool used by many.

That said, this recent flurry of messages here is a prime example of why hardwiring an arbitrary "expire" date into such an important and widely used tool is a bad thing, regardless of what the "motivation" behind it is. If you happen to not be able to get around to doing an update (especially if it's for no other purpose than to update the "expire" date) by the deadline, then a lot of people get inconvenienced for no reason. It isn't broken - it just refuses to work because the date has passed.

Just sayin'....

It's a tool berestovskyy created. If it's a mean to help motivate him, why not? It's one of those perfect script that we've been using daily and taking for granted sometimes, so I'm satisfied if an update comes quick or slow or maybe never ;)
What he said. We definitely appreciate the tool, but this isn't the smartest design decision.

Um, you may have goofed on your quoting, there. :-) All Thortok2000 said was the last line, starting with "what he said." I'm going to assume the other part just above that and below where he quoted me is what you wanted to say.

Regarding your final comment, you'd better hope that you never end up with a "never updates it," because under the current design, if he doesn't update it the flipping thing turns itself off even though there's nothing wrong with it. And then you'd never be able to use it again. ;)

I appreciate the sentiment behind what you're trying to say here, though I fail to understand the whole "need it to motivate him" thing. Look at it this way: If the script is working, if there are no new features, if there are no updates to existing features, if Waze hasn't released a new version of WME that breaks the script, then nothing about the script needs to be updated.

In this case, he has to take the time to push out an update that does nothing more than change the arbitrary "expire" date that he set for it, which means he has to take time out of his busy schedule to do so before it artificially expires. And in times such as this, when he misses, then lots of people are suddenly surprised, and a hoard of people start posting here about how it broke (because from their standpoint, it did) until a moderator has to lock down the topic and he gets to pushing out the update. :-)

As Thortok2000 noted, this really isn't the best design structure. Updating because there's been an improvement to existing features, new features added, or WME updated and broke the script makes sense. Updating to a version where the only change is the internal "expire" date has been changed, well... doesn't. ;)
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby SuperDave1426 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:27 pm

I do hope this script is still being maintained. It's been extremely useful (and works well in conjunction with Toolbox), and I'd hate to lose it.
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager

Re: [Script] WME Validator 1.1.10 / 05.11.2015

Postby SuperDave1426 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:46 am

taco909 wrote:
Rfrsw101 wrote:I'm just wondering, is there any way for Validator to be incorporated into a tab? Instead of having it up all the time. Such as [Validator] [Drives] [Area] [Settings]... But thanks for getting it working so quickly after WME changed.

Ditto.
Validator goes away when you use the URO+ option to eliminate the editor sidebar info.

Yes, this, please give it its own tab. The new heading info is (to me) so obnoxiously large now that I turned on the option in URO+ to suppress it. I didn't even see the new Validator placement until I saw the above messages and turned off that option in URO+. Validator's interface really doesn't need to be in the sidebar at all times, so if it could just be given its own tab like other addons, that would be great! :D

Thanks for getting it working again!
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager

Re: [Script] WME Validator 1.1.10 / 05.11.2015

Postby SuperDave1426 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:25 am

Fredo-p wrote:I'm not a fan of having Validator as a tab. I like having it "on". It's faster to clear the map by clicking the X vs to have to un-select a segment, click on a tab, hit the X, then go back to editing.

If anything, the only issue I have is Validator being on the top and only shown when user info is shown.

That's the way it used to be - you'd still have to click a "tab" back before this latest update: The "Me" tab. So how is that any worse in your opinion than having it in its own tab, so you can click on it when you actually need to run a report, etc? Only now, without a "Me" tab that doesn't show too much of anything to put that interface on, it's on all the time and seriously crowds out other plugins which have been tabbed to. Blech.

As a compromise, could we get the option of having Validator as a tab or not?

If that can be done, that would be good, too. Just as long as there's a way to get it off the screen until it's needed, I (and several others, from what I've seen :) ) would be happy.
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Addons, Extensions, and Scripts