Retail Parking Lot Area Naming

Post by Nacron
Seeing as how loose the standards for parking lots are, I propose we choose and utilize one of the many ways to name parking lots attached to retail establishments that are reserved for just that business.

The Wiki currently gives the following options:
Parking - [Business]
Customer Parking - [Business]a
Parking - [Business] (customers only)

Typically the lot will be reserved for only customers of the business so we should be adding the customer description to the name. I feel like the third option has too many characters for describing the same name as option two.

I think that we should use one standardized naming convention in the concern. I have seen many variants in one sample area and it can be confusing to the user.

Thoughts?
Nacron
Map Raider
Map Raider

POSTER_ID:19879

Send a message
2017 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid SE | Samsung S22 Ultra 5G
Waze Android Beta | WME Beta
Hawaii SM | Bangkok, Thailand RM | Phitsanulok, Thailand AM | West Virginia AM
https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... 50k_5c.png

Post by AquaZR1
Personally I feel like it is implied that it is customer parking if it just says Parking - [Business].
AquaZR1
Area Manager
Area Manager
Answers: 2
Send a message

Post by AquaZR1
Machete808 wrote:
Completely generic (For a single-business-single-lot):

Parking - [Business]
This is for businesses that are maybe standalone, where it's no doubt that the parking is for customers/patrons. The way the app currently works, if you want the lot to show up in search as an option, any restriction should be placed in the title and the restriction checkbox should be unchecked. This will change, though, at some point.
This was the obvious example I was referring to. I agree where there are restrictions they will need to be labeled as such to distinguish between other types of parking in the same general location.
AquaZR1
Area Manager
Area Manager
Answers: 2
Send a message

Post by KuniaKid
AquaZR1 wrote:Personally I feel like it is implied that it is customer parking if it just says Parking - [Business].
While I agree with you that it is implied, there are case upon case of users not receiving the implied information (referring to the gas station with the name of NEX clearly as the first word in its name). I think we need to use the term "Customer Parking" in the name.

Although, I'm not sure having three standards from which to choose is a good idea. I'd like to conform to a single naming standard. But I'm open to keep all three usages with an explanation for use of each (i.e. why use one option over another, but not in all cases).
KuniaKid
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message

Post by KuniaKid
Nacron wrote: we should choose one and use it with fidelity instead of having multiple variances of the implied restriction
Agreed. But isn't Waze working toward a standard of "restricted" not showing up for other searches? For example, if we select the restricted option in the PLA options, parking for "McAdondons" wouldn't show up when searching for "AstroDollars Coffee" if they were in near proximity to each other.
KuniaKid
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message

Post by Machete808
For reference, the wiki section is here:

https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/USA/Pl ... lot#Naming

The name always includes the business, or "entity served," preceded by something to describe it. This is how I read the four types of descriptions:

Completely generic (For a single-business-single-lot):

Parking - [Business]
This is for businesses that are maybe standalone, where it's no doubt that the parking is for customers/patrons. The way the app currently works, if you want the lot to show up in search as an option, any restriction should be placed in the title and the restriction checkbox should be unchecked. This will change, though, at some point.

Purpose descriptive (Where there is only one lot of the type):
Customer Parking - [Business] Employee Parking [Business], Student Parking [Business], etc.

This is to distinguish lots for a business/entity where there are various types. Like a campus, airport, etc.

Location descriptive (Where more than one lot serve the same purpose for the same place):
[Location] - [Business]

This is where multiple businesses are served by multiple lots, like in a shopping center. In this case, the "business" would be the shopping center's name.

Named (Where the lot is given an official name)

I think we should talk about specific examples that seem confusing, and see what local conventions we might need.
Machete808
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/on9 ... i.png?dl=0https://www.dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s ... x.png?dl=0
U.S. Local Champ
Hawaii State Manager
California State Manager
Country manager, U.S.
Welcome, new editors:
Here's a good place to start!

Post by Machete808
I should add that I've gleaned from discussion elsewhere that a future version of the app is going to enable lots that are restricted to a specific business/venue to be linked to that venue. So you would see this option only if that is your destination, I would gather. Referencing the remark by sketch, here:

viewtopic.php?f=1636&t=216110&p=1602884#p1602884

So in the case of a lot that is truly meant for only one venue, I would think we would need the [Customer Parking} descriptor only if there's maybe another lot nearby that's restricted some other purpose.

There are examples when the first approach Korey listed would seem right. Like the McDonalds in downtown Kailua would be "Parking - McDonald's."

But the parking for the McDonald's in Windward City Shopping Center might be better named "McDonald's Lot - Windward City Shopping Center." I mean, you wouldn't get towed if you were going to, say, the Ross's across the way if you parked there.

Not sure if there are customer-only signs posted at the Kailua McDonald's. If there are, I would then check the restriction box when that feature becomes more fully active.

We can look around the map and look for examples where we might want to refine the guidance in our own wiki.

Any ideas there?
Machete808
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/on9 ... i.png?dl=0https://www.dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s ... x.png?dl=0
U.S. Local Champ
Hawaii State Manager
California State Manager
Country manager, U.S.
Welcome, new editors:
Here's a good place to start!

Post by Nacron
I'm just concerned with the variances you'll see in the app. If one lot says Customer Parking - Walmart and then there's another lot that says Parking - Walgreens (customers only) the "customers only" might get visibly cut off causing someone to use the supposedly unrestricted parking lot. I think that if we are to use the customer restriction, we should choose one and use it with fidelity instead of having multiple variances of the implied restriction

The third example I listed was from the "restrictions" section of Wazeopedia:

Restricted parking
If there are posted signs restricting the lot to only one certain category of users (e.g. Customers, Residents, Staff, Attendees, Permit Holders, Faculty, Students, etc.) ONLY, then put that restriction in the name. If the lot is restricted to more than one category of users, then put "(restricted access)" in the name. Also put the details of the restriction in the description.
Examples:

"Parking - Starbucks (customers only)"
"Macy's Lot (customers only) - Big Hill Shopping Center"
Lot D (attendees only) - Cheery Stadium"
"Alpha Lot (permit only) - StudyHard University" Parking allowed by permit only ( even if permits are available to multiple groups (eg for Students, and Faculty)
"Bravo Lot (restricted access) - StudyHard University" Parking allowed for Students, and Faculty ONLY
"123 Somewhere St Lot (residents only)"
"345 Other St Lot (restricted access)" Parking allowed for resident, guests, and staff
Nacron
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message
2017 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid SE | Samsung S22 Ultra 5G
Waze Android Beta | WME Beta
Hawaii SM | Bangkok, Thailand RM | Phitsanulok, Thailand AM | West Virginia AM
https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... 50k_5c.png

Nacron
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message