Australia

Moderators: Unholy, amitbena, ps_au

Re: Australia

Postby geekitup » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:15 am

@matt

You're not the only one in Bendigo now :)

Cheers,
Kym
geekitup

Postby purpp1 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:31 am

Hi people's, another recent-ish waze-or here in Canberra. Got a couple of questions, apologies if there are answered a million times, other places, I haven't come across them.

[1] A question of zoom levels. Does anyone else have trouble zooming out far enough, both on the live map or on a phone client? I recently drove up to Parkes (about 300km). Most of the trip didn't t register (due to no coverage then flat phone). Trying to scroll across hundreds of Kms to find a town is really slow, yet if I try and zoom out, the roads disappear....? On the 'puter I simply can't zoom out far enough.

[2] Anyone help with an idea about when updates made will appear on the client? I have read various things in different places about time frames varying from 24hrs to a few weeks. I'm wondering what current experience is? I read what someone said earlier in this thread, about reloading the app, but that didn't seem to make any changes.

Cheers everyone. :o)
purpp1
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby hawknz » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:04 pm

Hey purp_p1,

I have the same problem too. Waze tells me I can edit 2607 km2 but like you, I'm having to scroll a lot of land between Brisbane & Northern NSW which makes it hard when you're trying to map out new roads. On the old cartouche you could scroll out further, but not in the new version. Hopefully they'll fix this limitation on the next release.

IMO I have found the updates to appear on the client around 3-4 weeks. Unfortunately as the s/w editors of Waze do this voluntary, they get around to fixing the bugs & things when they can. Waze still has a long way to go in so far as efficient routing, mapping, etc...
I personally believe they should have purchased the road maps already in place and then run it with Wazers. There are not enough wazers in Oz to really make a impact on mapping roads. :(
Brisbane, Queensland, AUSTRALIA
AM: SE QLD
Waze 3.5.3.0 • Samsung Galaxy S2 • Android 4.1.2
hawknz

Postby purpp1 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:23 am

Thanks Hawknz,

Right after I posted that I read on the Status Page that it will be happening about now. It will be nice to see some changes come through on my phone.

It really seems that waze will never really be ideal outside the cities until internet connectivity is everywhere....
purpp1
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby hawknz » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:46 pm

purp_p1 wrote:It really seems that waze will never really be ideal outside the cities until internet connectivity is everywhere....

Oh I don't know, it did reasonably well when I did a run from Brisbane to Evans Head, NSW, there were a few blank tiles on the map, however when I tried to Pave the road, it couldn't find a internet connection, so I missed out paving the return run via the tourist route. At least the scenery was nice! :)

Agreed, there are still a lot of bugs in the Android client which need fixing, and no doubt on iOS too. I personally don't use Waze when routing out a destination (got a proper GPS navigator for that), but I'm sure it will get better as the s/w and algorithms for routing are improved.
Brisbane, Queensland, AUSTRALIA
AM: SE QLD
Waze 3.5.3.0 • Samsung Galaxy S2 • Android 4.1.2
hawknz

Postby fuzzyBSc » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:10 pm

I actually don't bother paving anymore, but instead I check the map editor every so often and particularly when I have been driving in an unusual area. You can use your past GPS traces to create roads directly in the editor - just click the trace and select the option to create road.
fuzzyBSc

Postby cjsimmons » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:26 am

Hey guys, just wondering what you guys do with the coast line? I've noticed that on the live map, it's pretty bad as the area I live in, Warilla, NSW, seems to be under water. :shock:

In the old cartouche editor, it's possible to do a bit of edditing but changes fail to save, and the new editor doesn't allow to edit the ocean at all, not even select it.
ImageImage
iPhone 6+ | Area Manager: Shellharbour City, NSW, Australia
cjsimmons
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby KevinYank » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:13 am

aubrianpeters wrote:only thing I miss is accurate house numbers, but all in good time, just add the regular ones I need in, like home.

I was taking the same approach, but I’ve discovered that even though you can use the old Cartouche editor to add house numbers to the map, they are not used in navigation by the client apps.

The only ways to navigate to a particular spot on a road are to search for and locate a specific Point of Interest, or to tap and hold that spot on the map then choose to go there (or save it as a favourite).
KevinYank

Postby xtago » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:03 pm

purp_p1 wrote:[1] A question of zoom levels. Does anyone else have trouble zooming out far enough, both on the live map or on a phone client? I recently drove up to Parkes (about 300km). Most of the trip didn't t register (due to no coverage then flat phone). Trying to scroll across hundreds of Kms to find a town is really slow, yet if I try and zoom out, the roads disappear....? On the 'puter I simply can't zoom out far enough.

On a computer the live map should zoom out to the planet it does that for me.

On the editor though it'll only zoom out so far probably where only highways can be seen and that's it.

Use the address bar to get to different places quickly.

You'll find that trip will be logged and will get updated but only once the client has sent to logs to the server, you should see that in a day or 2, as it updates every day again.

[2] Anyone help with an idea about when updates made will appear on the client? I have read various things in different places about time frames varying from 24hrs to a few weeks. I'm wondering what current experience is? I read what someone said earlier in this thread, about reloading the app, but that didn't seem to make any changes.

Cheers everyone. :o)

There has been some major hardware updates done to the NA and world servers.

That's why the maps didn't get updated for about 2 months.

They are currently doing 2 week updates then move into 1 week updates and if everything works out to plan it'll be daily updates.

Reloading the app won;t make the maps update the server have to process everything first then you can get updated maps, there's a setting that allows you to download the maps (so you don't need to uninstall and reload the app at all) I think this downloads the whole of Australia then the app will just update titles as needed or when there is new ones to grab.
xtago

Previous

Return to Australia