These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

How to limit Carpool detour time

Post by dav6767
I've been consistently rejecting Carpool requests with an excessive detour time for a couple of weeks now, but Waze still hasn't got the message and continues to offer them to me.

I cannot find any way in the Waze settings to put a limit on the detour time, or to limit where around my Home and Work locations Carpool pickups and dropoffs will be accepted. Am I missing something? And why hasn't Waze learned by now what my limits are? Continuing to deal with all these unacceptable requests is getting annoying. Because apart from those problems, I do prefer Waze's way of managing carpool scheduling to Scoop's.

I consider the 15-20 minute detours it frequently proposes to be totally unacceptable. They would increase my time by 30%-40%. Ten minutes is about the absolute maximum I can tolerate. Also, some of the routings it proposes are absurd. I live in the center of San Francisco (Haight district) and work in Foster City. So taking someone from the Richmond district to the Financial district or Potrero before getting on the freeway is ridiculous and would make me more like an Uber driver than a carpooler -- which does not interest me. I also don't want to spend an extra 10-15 minutes getting off the freeway in San Bruno or Burlingame for someone. I want a pickup that's plausibly on my way to a reasonable freeway entrance, and a dropoff that likewise is on the route from a freeway exit that allows me to continue directly the rest of the way to my destination.
dav6767

POSTER_ID:17223151

Send a message

Post by dav6767
deirdrebeth wrote:I'm having a simular but different issue.
I drive Page Mill/280/92. I'm constantly being asked to pick up people off 101 and being given a 10 minute estimate, in reality those are off by about 45 minutes! I reject them with a comment each time and yet...
Waze has access to my driving patterns, why is this so off?
Thanks Dierdre. Might actually be the same. I never checked how accurate their detour times were, since I rejected anything that looked like an unreasonable route based on my own preferences and driving experience. But like you say, Waze never seemed to "get" it.

Guess we should be going to Facebook for Waze Rider support, per the April comment above. Sigh. I wish they'd do it where it belongs in these forums. I hardly use Facebook for anything and going over there for this part of Waze support will be a pain.

But I must admit that at this point I have little more to contribute to the subject. By around New Years time, I had become annoyed enough with the entire "ride-sharing" carpooling model of Waze and Scoop that I had basically dropped out of both. I wasn't getting enough satisfaction out of it to make up for the inconvenience of dealing with the scheduling, lack of consistent and appropriate carpool partners, and the fact that I was always the driver (failed ever to get a ride myself, not even once on either service). Since then I've occasionally thought of dipping a toe back into those waters, but continuing stories like those from you and from my coworkers have not given much encouragement.
dav6767
Send a message

Post by deirdrebeth
I'm having a simular but different issue.
I drive Page Mill/280/92. I'm constantly being asked to pick up people off 101 and being given a 10 minute estimate, in reality those are off by about 45 minutes! I reject them with a comment each time and yet...
Waze has access to my driving patterns, why is this so off?
deirdrebeth
Send a message

Post by karlcr9911
Hi, most of us here are not Carpool experts since this is a limited beta still at this point. I've reached out to a Carpool contact though and I'll respond back as soon as I hear something. Thank you!

You might have better luck going to the Carpool page (https://www.waze.com/carpool) and scrolling to the bottom and visiting the Support page and/or the Facebook page.
karlcr9911  
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
Answers: 3
Send a message

Post by Unholy
Hi guys!
If you encounter any issues with Waze Carpool, please let us know here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/wazecarpoolers/

Thanks,

Ori
Unholy