Report routing timeouts

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Re: Report routing timeouts

Postby RallyChris » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:58 pm

foxitrot wrote:
dknight212 wrote:There are some areas not yet well mapped that will timeout easily.

Have you meant that seriously? If I understood you correctly, the routing server should possibly time out because of a hard-to-find route? This would be a manifestation of a really crappy communication protocol :shock:

Correct. Instead of the routing server given an error stating that it hasn't found a route yet, and is giving up... you get a timeout error.

I'm of the same opinion... bad design.
Portland, OR / USA - Mega Mapper
Wiki: Area Manager | Map Editing | Known Issues List
Official Suggestion Websites (hosted by uservoice):
Waze Client | Waze Website / Editor
RallyChris

Re: Report routing timeouts

Postby foxitrot » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:20 pm

OMG... :?

Have already someone asked loud enough, to make Waze temporarily open-source, for a couple of months at least? :P
...with the good old crashing :roll: Symbian 2.1.99.114 (N-E52), while
trying to get used to the good new asocial Android 4.xx.0.yyy (OP-X March-me-Low).
foxitrot
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby aSystemOverload » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:30 am

Yeah, def make it opensource for 12 months. :P Personally I like feedback, whilst it's finding a route, you know like doing something at command prompt. Maybe an option you can edit in the [Preferences] file:

user.wants.feedback = yes
user.wants.feedback.level= plenty

along with

user.wants.allroutes.displayed-whilst-driving-over40 = yes
user.wants.a-decent-favourites-manager = yes

It's annoying, we're fighting to get basic functionality, whilst 'normal' GPS systems know how many lanes multi-lane highways have and other stuff. GET IT SORTED!!! (Please)
Area Manager: Hampshire, UK (Basingstoke, Overton) + parts of Berkshire (incl. Sindlesham) + anywhere else that looks deficient.
Looking to sort out the world: One map segment at a time.
Nexus 5: Android 4.4.2 / CM11
https://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/How_to_label_and_name_roads_%28United_Kingdom%29#Road_types
aSystemOverload

Re: Re: Report routing timeouts

Postby dknight212 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:09 am

RallyChris wrote:
foxitrot wrote:
dknight212 wrote:There are some areas not yet well mapped that will timeout easily.

Have you meant that seriously? If I understood you correctly, the routing server should possibly time out because of a hard-to-find route? This would be a manifestation of a really crappy communication protocol :shock:

Correct. Instead of the routing server given an error stating that it hasn't found a route yet, and is giving up... you get a timeout error.

I'm of the same opinion... bad design.

Yep, for debugging it would be so much better to distinguish between the two states.
dknight212

Postby dknight212 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:10 am

aSystemOverload wrote:Yeah, def make it opensource for 12 months. :P Personally I like feedback, whilst it's finding a route, you know like doing something at command prompt. Maybe an option you can edit in the [Preferences] file:

user.wants.feedback = yes
user.wants.feedback.level= plenty

along with

user.wants.allroutes.displayed-whilst-driving-over40 = yes
user.wants.a-decent-favourites-manager = yes

It's annoying, we're fighting to get basic functionality, whilst 'normal' GPS systems know how many lanes multi-lane highways have and other stuff. GET IT SORTED!!! (Please)

user.wants.systemtowork = please
dknight212

Postby Iri-Dium » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:45 am

I'm still getting the "router server timeout" at peak UK times (~ 7:00 GMT & 15:00 GMT). This has been going on for weeks now. (I even got it at 7:00 GMT on a Saturday - when it is not peak time) I have logged the times about five times now, but the error is still the same. As a functioning satnav, this should be a priority fix.

I see from other forums, that the US routing problem has been fixed, can we expect a fix for the rest of us soon?

Pups.
Iri-Dium

Postby aSystemOverload » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:41 pm

Yeah, I had it again during the week, but as I'm working at a different place now, I was leaving worl just after 5.30 and it only timed out 3 times, on the fourth it was ok!
Area Manager: Hampshire, UK (Basingstoke, Overton) + parts of Berkshire (incl. Sindlesham) + anywhere else that looks deficient.
https://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/How_to_label_and_name_roads_%28United_Kingdom%29#Road_types
aSystemOverload

Postby ftronel » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:15 am

Might be due to the increased popularity of Waze in France, but since the last update I get a Routing Server Timeout more often than not... Seems to me the point of a GPS is to find your way when you're in unfamiliar territory. But these days I DEFINITELY can't rely on Waze since it just times out and leaves me good and lost... In earlier versions, wasn't this timeout length adjustable ? And could there be a way for Waze to at least save the last requested itinerary, at least until it's completed, to avoid people like me getting stranded? {tears}
ftronel

Postby dirgela » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:55 pm

Check http://status.waze.com/ and you will see another promise to fix it, although we have heard these promises many times already, didn't we? :mrgreen:
iPhone 4S
dirgela

Postby aSystemOverload » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:42 pm

That we have, since I started a new job, I've been going home at half 5, rather than half 4 and have not been getting the timeouts, unless I ask for alternative routes!!!

Has anyone noticed also, that if you take an unplanned turning, Waze can take a bit too long to work out the new route? Seems much slower than it used to!
aSystemOverload

PreviousNext

Return to Navigation & Routing