Report routing timeouts

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Re: Report routing timeouts

Postby RallyChris » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:58 pm

foxitrot wrote:
dknight212 wrote:There are some areas not yet well mapped that will timeout easily.

Have you meant that seriously? If I understood you correctly, the routing server should possibly time out because of a hard-to-find route? This would be a manifestation of a really crappy communication protocol :shock:

Correct. Instead of the routing server given an error stating that it hasn't found a route yet, and is giving up... you get a timeout error.

I'm of the same opinion... bad design.
Portland, OR / USA - Mega Mapper
Wiki: Area Manager | Map Editing | Known Issues List
Official Suggestion Websites (hosted by uservoice):
Waze Client | Waze Website / Editor
RallyChris

Re: Report routing timeouts

Postby foxitrot » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:20 pm

OMG... :?

Have already someone asked loud enough, to make Waze temporarily open-source, for a couple of months at least? :P
...with the good old crashing :roll: Symbian 2.1.99.114 (N-E52), while
trying to get used to the good new social Android 4.0.xx.yyy (OP-X LOL-a-popp).
foxitrot
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby aSystemOverload » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:30 am

Yeah, def make it opensource for 12 months. :P Personally I like feedback, whilst it's finding a route, you know like doing something at command prompt. Maybe an option you can edit in the [Preferences] file:

user.wants.feedback = yes
user.wants.feedback.level= plenty

along with

user.wants.allroutes.displayed-whilst-driving-over40 = yes
user.wants.a-decent-favourites-manager = yes

It's annoying, we're fighting to get basic functionality, whilst 'normal' GPS systems know how many lanes multi-lane highways have and other stuff. GET IT SORTED!!! (Please)
Area Manager: Hampshire, UK (Basingstoke, Overton) + parts of Berkshire (incl. Sindlesham) + anywhere else that looks deficient.
Looking to sort out the world: One map segment at a time.
Nexus 5: Android 4.4.2 / CM11
http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/How_to_label_and_name_roads_%28United_Kingdom%29#Road_types
aSystemOverload

Re: Re: Report routing timeouts

Postby dknight212 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:09 am

RallyChris wrote:
foxitrot wrote:
dknight212 wrote:There are some areas not yet well mapped that will timeout easily.

Have you meant that seriously? If I understood you correctly, the routing server should possibly time out because of a hard-to-find route? This would be a manifestation of a really crappy communication protocol :shock:

Correct. Instead of the routing server given an error stating that it hasn't found a route yet, and is giving up... you get a timeout error.

I'm of the same opinion... bad design.

Yep, for debugging it would be so much better to distinguish between the two states.
dknight212
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby dknight212 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:10 am

aSystemOverload wrote:Yeah, def make it opensource for 12 months. :P Personally I like feedback, whilst it's finding a route, you know like doing something at command prompt. Maybe an option you can edit in the [Preferences] file:

user.wants.feedback = yes
user.wants.feedback.level= plenty

along with

user.wants.allroutes.displayed-whilst-driving-over40 = yes
user.wants.a-decent-favourites-manager = yes

It's annoying, we're fighting to get basic functionality, whilst 'normal' GPS systems know how many lanes multi-lane highways have and other stuff. GET IT SORTED!!! (Please)

user.wants.systemtowork = please
dknight212
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Iri-Dium » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:45 am

I'm still getting the "router server timeout" at peak UK times (~ 7:00 GMT & 15:00 GMT). This has been going on for weeks now. (I even got it at 7:00 GMT on a Saturday - when it is not peak time) I have logged the times about five times now, but the error is still the same. As a functioning satnav, this should be a priority fix.

I see from other forums, that the US routing problem has been fixed, can we expect a fix for the rest of us soon?

Pups.
Iri-Dium

Postby aSystemOverload » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:41 pm

Yeah, I had it again during the week, but as I'm working at a different place now, I was leaving worl just after 5.30 and it only timed out 3 times, on the fourth it was ok!
Area Manager: Hampshire, UK (Basingstoke, Overton) + parts of Berkshire (incl. Sindlesham) + anywhere else that looks deficient.
http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/How_to_label_and_name_roads_%28United_Kingdom%29#Road_types
aSystemOverload

Postby ftronel » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:15 am

Might be due to the increased popularity of Waze in France, but since the last update I get a Routing Server Timeout more often than not... Seems to me the point of a GPS is to find your way when you're in unfamiliar territory. But these days I DEFINITELY can't rely on Waze since it just times out and leaves me good and lost... In earlier versions, wasn't this timeout length adjustable ? And could there be a way for Waze to at least save the last requested itinerary, at least until it's completed, to avoid people like me getting stranded? {tears}
ftronel

Postby dirgela » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:55 pm

Check http://status.waze.com/ and you will see another promise to fix it, although we have heard these promises many times already, didn't we? :mrgreen:
iPhone 4S
dirgela

Postby aSystemOverload » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:42 pm

That we have, since I started a new job, I've been going home at half 5, rather than half 4 and have not been getting the timeouts, unless I ask for alternative routes!!!

Has anyone noticed also, that if you take an unplanned turning, Waze can take a bit too long to work out the new route? Seems much slower than it used to!
aSystemOverload

PreviousNext

Return to Navigation & Routing