New WME Version v1.35-7

Post by
Hi Guys!

We've just released a new WME version to production.

What's inside:
* Translations uploaded
* Closed MP's and UR's don't pop-up - FIXED
* Clicking a PUR doesn't open it - FIXED
* Entry points for Venues! - Now you can set an entry point for place points, and residential places.
* HOSPITAL_MEDICAL_CARE place category removed
* New confirmation message when creating a new city through place editing

Thanks to the Beta Pirates community for attacking these bugs and issues!

POSTER_ID:15274930

Send a message

Post by Inactive user -1697532064-
Place updates for RPPs only show at zoom 5+. Is this a bug?
Inactive user -1697532064-
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
Galaxy S20 FE on Mint
Retired SM Ohio
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
-John 8:32

Post by abc1357
How would one use the new entry point for a PP or RPP? I've always placed the stop point of the PP/RPP in the correct location, so I don't understand the purpose of this new feature. Can anyone give me an example?
abc1357
State Manager
State Manager
Answers: 2
Send a message

Post by abc1357
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Now, we can keep the point place right where it should be, but adjust the stop point, very similar to what we do with Area Place
Thanks AlanOfTheBerg.

I assume that the visual on the Waze application still looks the same.

For example, when I search for and route to a specific Place Point, this is what I see on the application. It routes me to the front of the store since the Place Point has been nudged closer to the Road Segment.

https://image.ibb.co/ecz6Ha/Location_of_PP_vs_stop_point_of_drive.png

So from your McDonald's example, even though the Place Point is closer to the drive-thru segment, the placement of the Entry Point at the front of the store means that the Waze route stops there. So it functions exactly as if we moved the Place Point to the front of the store.

Doesn't this mean that both a Stop Point for an Area Place and a Entry Point for a Place Point and Residential Place Point performs the same function? If so, can we not name them the same - either Stop Point or Entry Point? Naming them differently brings to mind that these two perform different functions.
abc1357
State Manager
State Manager
Answers: 2
Send a message

Post by Adabadada
petervdveen wrote:
abc1357 wrote:How would one use the new entry point for a PP or RPP? I've always placed the stop point of the PP/RPP in the correct location, so I don't understand the purpose of this new feature. Can anyone give me an example?
Because you would want the finish flag on the building, but the navigation point on the road.

We did some experiments and the finish flag still dropped on the navigation point, totally ignoring the location of the place point. We would appreciate more guidance about the use of this feature please.
Adabadada
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by Adabadada
The way I see it, the Point Place's location is purely for the editors' sake while the stop point is for the driver.

Looking forward to multiple entry points!
Adabadada
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by Adabadada
I agree. That would make the feature even more useful.
Adabadada
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
trivia211 wrote:Can you explain this feature? How is setting an entry point different from replacing the venue in previous versions of the WME? What does the position of the place itself represent
Some locations have the point place, if put directly on the building, closer to a "wrong" segment. For example, a fast food, where the building center is closer to the drive-through rather than the front entry. Until now, we have to nudge the point place closer to the desired stop point:

(non-dashed line connecting PP to nearest segment is a script, not a core WME feature)
2017-05-24_10-27-55.png
Old way: nudge PP out of position so that stop point is correct
(325.12 KiB) Downloaded 678 times
Now, we can keep the point place right where it should be, but adjust the stop point, very similar to what we do with Area Places:
2017-05-24_10-25-46.png
New way: PP at real location, stop point adjusted
(302.12 KiB) Downloaded 679 times
I'm not saying map all the drive-throughs, but this is only an example. You can find lots of similar situations without looking too far or hard.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
reuvenirony wrote:Thanks for the explanation.
So what is the NON dashed line for?
tonestertm wrote:The non-dashed line in Alan's images comes from a script. Not part of the new WME feature.
Yes, sorry, I should note that in my post.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
abc1357 wrote:Doesn't this mean that both a Stop Point for an Area Place and a Entry Point for a Place Point and Residential Place Point performs the same function? If so, can we not name them the same - either Stop Point or Entry Point? Naming them differently brings to mind that these two perform different functions.
They should be named the same. MapSir has used the name probably because that is what the devs call it. For now, we would call it a Stop Point. (In the future, Places will have multiple navigation points, and probably can be designated entry and/or exit points.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
trivia211 wrote:Thanks, however that doesn't explain my original question: What does the position of the point place represent? I would expect to see the finish flag at the position of the place, while the end of the route at the position of the "entry point". As abc1357 pointed out, it seems that only the position of the entry point matters when navigating to a point place, and the position of the place itself is ignored. So this is why I don't see the function of two different positions associated with a place.
MapSir answered this from an functionality POV. From a mapping standpoint, we want to represent the actual business locations correctly. However, when that location doesn't result in a good navigation or end-point result, we had no choice but to make the map more inaccurate by moving the Point Place to the segment we desired to end navigation at. That is not ideal. Now, we can leave the business marker where it should be, and still end navigation where it should be.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message