Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by WanderlusterMAZ
I was curious when that would be addressed. I started using "Township" as there's a lot of townships in Burlington County whose town name was already used elsewhere (i.e. Mansfield, Springfield) or don't allow use of just the town name (Hamilton, Lawrence). I noticed that there was a change to "Twp" for a bit, and then seemingly a shift back to "Township." It will take me some time, but I'll work on changing over what I have in my area
WanderlusterMAZ
Send a message
Lv. 4 Area Manager: South & Central Jersey

Wealth I ask not, hope nor love / Nor a friend to know me.
All I ask, the Heaven above / And the road below me.

~ Robert Louis Stevenson, "The Vagabond"

Post by WanderlusterMAZ
EDIT: See post later in this topic.
WanderlusterMAZ
Send a message
Last edited by WanderlusterMAZ on Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post by WanderlusterMAZ
CBenson had PM'ed me a bit earlier, and though I had made mention of it, I derped out and forgot to add the permalink. If you or him would like to take care of it, it's here. I had the Cities layer on when I was scanning the state for all the "XX Township" labels, and fortunately it stuck out.
WanderlusterMAZ
Send a message

Post by WanderlusterMAZ
Here's the major ones in my area.
- Mansfield Township - Change to "Mansfield Twp"

- Burlington Township - Change to "Burlington Twp"

- Springfield Township - Change to "Springfield Twp"
Note: I'm starting to define Juliustown based on the census maps. Much of the area in Springfield Twp has no city label due to the conflict with the other Springfield in North Jersey.

- Hamilton Township - Change to "Hamilton Twp"
Note: I'm also going through, splitting "Mercerville-Hamilton Square" and "Yardville-Groveville" into their respective CDPs based on the posted census maps bit by bit.

- Lawrence Township - Change to "Lawrence Twp"

- Hopewell Township and Greater Hopewell Area - Change to "Hopewell Twp"

- Pemberton Township and Greater Pemberton Area - Change to "Pemberton Twp"

- Millstone Township - Change to "Millstone Twp"

- Freehold Township & Greater Freehold Area - Change to "Freehold Twp"

Also, one of the oddballs.
- Bordentown (2) - This should just be "Bordentown."
As I said, I can't find which segment still has this to change it.

In most cases, "XX Twp" is at least partially marked, and this is just for road standardization. PhantomSoul covered a few of the others I saw, and there are some more I'll have to hunt for again.

As for CDPs, there's no conflicts at that level, but there is one complicated township/borough conflict. We have Hopewell Township and Hopewell, the borough, in Mercer County. There's also a Hopewell Township in Cumberland County that is completely undefined. It's a small area compared with the more prominent Hopewell Township and borough in Mercer County...but what should we do with a case like this?
WanderlusterMAZ
Send a message
Last edited by WanderlusterMAZ on Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by WanderlusterMAZ
jondrush wrote:If there is no conflict, the proper convention for Mansfield is just "Mansfield", the Twp is dropped. That's what I need to know, if there is no conflict in the state, there is no need for the Twp type to be appended.
Right. There is a conflicting Mansfield already in Warren County. The same goes for Springfield, Hamilton, Lawrence, and Millstone.

With Burlington, Pemberton, Freehold, and Hopewell, there's a township and a split-off borough. Again, I don't know what to do with Hopewell. As I mentioned, Hopewell has the problem with the township in Mercer ("Hopewell Twp"), the borough split from the township ("Hopewell"), and ANOTHER township in Cumberland (currently unlabeled). Should we consolidate the township and borough in Mercer as just "Hopewell" to open up "Hopewell Twp for the Cumberland Township? Also, are we differentiating these township/borough splits regularly or ONLY in the case of naming conflicts?
WanderlusterMAZ
Send a message