Contacts Not Appearing in Search Results

This forum is about the search function in the Waze App. Use it to talk about anything related to searching on your app.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Contacts Not Appearing in Search Results

Postby Sallin10 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:20 am

Same for me, I just tried to reinstall Waze to ensure it would ask again for permission to access the contacts, but no luck. Samsung galaxy S6 6.0.1, waze 4.1.0.1.

Note that I indeed also store my contacts in full international format. Not that that should matter. I should be able to drive to someone even if the tel number is not formatted as expected..
Sallin10

Postby sysmg » Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:34 pm

Only one problem. I don't want Waze to know my phone number. I don't need anyone who has my phone number able to contact me. This is a privacy problem. All these apps are using your phone number to tie all your data together. Another great application made useless because the greedy app owners want to know everything about you. I'm in the top 25k users in the country and have used waze for over 4 years. Now I am considering dumping the application.
sysmg

Postby Taomyn352 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:52 am

Chwhitt wrote:Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.0.0.1

Really can't persuade Waze to look in my contacts for destinations. It will search contacts for friends, but I don't want to set them all as friends. Just want contacts in my destination search.

Help!

Same for me, on identical setup of my Nexus 6 - it's really frustrating :cry:
Taomyn352

Postby Taomyn352 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:38 pm

caze_ wrote:Guys, here just to tell you my workaround of this problem. Just edit your contacts with their area code plus telephone number. Close waze app if its open. Reopen waze search for friends, now all contacts is shown. Hope this works for you as well.

Sorry but that's pretty much been the standard for storing contacts in phones for the last 20yrs, at least in my experience, and so does not help in my case where all contacts are in standard +nnnnnnnn type format.
Taomyn352

Postby Taomyn352 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:16 am

All my contacts use the full format +{country code}{phone number} - the {phone number} is formatted correctly for whichever country is for, as I have numbers for at least 5 different European countries, and even my local numbers so that they are dial-able from anywhere.

Waze has no problems seeing my contacts in the "Add Friends", "Connect with Contacts", the all appear there, it's in the search when adding favourites or simply wanting to navigate to their address where Waze seems incapable of seeing them.
Taomyn352

Postby tonytx05 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:32 am

Hi Max, first off please don't post the same issue in multiple places in the forum. That just creates unnecessary clutter.

What version of iOS and what model phone are you using? You should be seeing a contacts option if you go to iOS Settings->Waze.
Area Manager: Andrews | Brazos County | Houston

[ img ][ img ]

If you edit in Texas, please make sure you read the following:
USA South Central Region Info | Best Practices | Edits to Avoid
tonytx05
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby tonytx05 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:10 pm

Have you tried the instructions here about verifying your phone number?

https://support.google.com/waze/answer/ ... n#Contacts
Area Manager: Andrews | Brazos County | Houston

[ img ][ img ]

If you edit in Texas, please make sure you read the following:
USA South Central Region Info | Best Practices | Edits to Avoid
tonytx05
Beta tester
Beta tester

Re: Accessing Contacts on iOS

Postby vince1612 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:48 am

It should ask your for this access when you go into the "Share drive" or "Friends" menus in the app and try to add friends or share drives with people. I'm not sure which one of the two exactly but this is when the access request pop-up showed up when I was showing a friend the Waze app for the first time a few weeks back.
[ img ]
Wiki & Forum: Wiki CH (D) (FR) | Forum CH (D) (FR) (I)
1+1=3 - The result of bringing talents together goes beyond simply adding them up.
vince1612
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Re: Accessing Contacts on iOS

Postby vince1612 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:59 am

I can agree it's a bit backwards but I believe the reason was not to scare off people by asking for too many permissions from the very start with many and all access request pop-ups. This is to adapt to each person's usage of the app functions, as they're trying to use them in a progressive manner, asking for permissions along the way for a "less scary" and "less annoying" experience on first startup.

In your case if you had not read about contact access permissions on the forum you might have just naturally tried to access one of the menus which triggers this access request and it would then have been a smoother experience.
For someone who would never want to use those, then the app simply doesn't ask for this access, which avoids making some people abandon even trying the app from the start if they're reluctant to give access to their phone's data and wouldn't understand why it asks for it.
[ img ]
1+1=3 - The result of bringing talents together goes beyond simply adding them up.
vince1612
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby vince1612 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:30 am

JulieEwHappy wrote:My husband's contacts come up on his Waze app... but mine don't. I always have to copy an address from contacts and paste it into Waze. What can I do to have Waze access my contacts?

Check in your phone's privacy settings to see if you granted access to your contacts for Waze.
If that option doesn't appear there, go back in the Waze app and try to add friends, share drives or locations with people by going into the "Friends" menu, "Share drive" (available once you start navigating to a location) or clicking the share icon next to a saved location in your app.
At least one of these should trigger a pop-up asking you for access to your contacts list, after that you should be able to grant Waze access to your phone's contact list and the option will appear in the privacy settings for the app.

As far as I know once that access becomes visible and allowed for the app it should work as it does for your husband. But it can remain hidden before you try to perform one of the actions I mentioned above.
[ img ]
vince1612
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Search