Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate WME version release thread found in the Waze Map Editor forum (parent of this forum).

Forum rules
You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze Map Editor forum (parent of this forum).

Enable the Difficult Turn setting to be time/day specific

Post by kentsmith9
(This has been posted to the Waze Suggestion Box. Please consider going there to give it an up vote if you think this is a useful request.)

Today we have the ability to mark a turn as difficult, but we don't have a way to say it is only difficult during certain times of the day like during commute hours, or even to be only weekdays when there is commute traffic.

The current UI could easily be updated to move the difficult turn box to the end of each row for the restriction. That way if an editor sets up a time for a restriction, it now becomes an option to be 100% restricted, or just difficult.

This is an example mockup.
Difficult turn.png
(21.14 KiB) Downloaded 1093 times
The editor could then set up a left turn being illegal to turn from 15:00 to 18:00, difficult to turn from 8:00 - 15:00, difficult to turn from 18:00 - 20:00, but fine all other times because it is only the traffic that is an issue.

Also, currently there is no way to limit the difficult turn to weekdays and not include weekends when many difficult turns are abandoned with no weekend traffic at the level of weekdays.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

POSTER_ID:7009939

Send a message

Post by ajcadoo
Also, there should be a Wiki page dedicated to Difficult Turns. Is there info of what type of penalty is associated with ticking the box? The feature seemed to have been released without much information about how it works. TBDTs though are extremely necessary though. A difficult turn is easy at 11pm!
ajcadoo
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3
Send a message

Post by DwarfLord
ajcadoo wrote:Also, there should be a Wiki page dedicated to Difficult Turns. Is there info of what type of penalty is associated with ticking the box? The feature seemed to have been released without much information about how it works. TBDTs though are extremely necessary though. A difficult turn is easy at 11pm!
There is a draft wiki article that AlanOfTheBerg and subs5 wrote, posting about it in this thread back on Valentine's Day.

Here's what's puzzling. The draft wiki article introduces the Difficult Turn feature with the words "In Waze, a Difficult Turn (DT) adds a penalty on that particular turn for a majority of the day. Since there are not selectable hours, you will alter the routing throughout most of the day. What is a difficult turn during the morning and/or evening rush hour might be just fine during mid-day and night" (emphasis mine).

Well, that sounds to me like the Difficult Turn feature already incorporates some (presumably secret?) moderation or outright suspension of the DT penalty depending on time of day...?

The wiki language sounds quite deliberate. On the other hand, this may be the only place I've seen any indication that the DT is not 24/7. Informal guidance I've received from Champs and an RC has suggested that it is indeed 24/7. I don't know what's going on.

[EDIT: A number of comments on the draft wiki article in the Difficult Turns Guidance thread, by people who would probably know, indicate that the draft wiki article is wrong and the DT is indeed 24/7. However, the draft article has not changed. I've requested clarification.]
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
turbomkt wrote:The penalty applied will probably not be made public. It should be enough to know that whatever the penalty is, it's sufficient :)
Agreed. It is like a parking lot or private road penalty. That is what we need to know.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
DL,

The Difficult Turn guidance is in a released form in the Wiki now.

https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/USA/Pa ... icult_turn

I added a clarification a few months ago to say the Difficult Turn check box is based on 24/7.

This feature requests suggests that it would be better to have it operate more like a TBRT.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by Krixera
Anyone here knows how much is the routing penalty for DT in terms of minutes/seconds, I wish to know this too.
Krixera
Emeritus Local Champ
Emeritus Local Champ
Send a message

Post by turbomkt
The penalty applied will probably not be made public. It should be enough to know that whatever the penalty is, it's sufficient :)
turbomkt  
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 17
Send a message
--Mike
RC for Northwest Region (NWR Discord)
ARC for Southwest Region (SWR Discord)

Post by turbomkt
I don't think anyone will/should say this in an open forum.
turbomkt  
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 17
Send a message
--Mike
RC for Northwest Region (NWR Discord)
ARC for Southwest Region (SWR Discord)