[New Page] Places/Airport

Moderator: USA Champs

Re: [New Page] Places/Airport

Postby jm6087 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:45 pm

MacroNav wrote:I would like Waze to display useful airports so I can recognize the one I'm looking for using a list and map. With the noise of every private landing strip displayed the same as a public airport, it is much less likely that I'll find the useful entries.

What is useful to you may not be useful to another app user. I thought we try our hardest to be useful to as many app users as possible which would include the private airstrip that offers flying lessons or does skydiving.

That being said, the Area Place vs Place Point part of the discussion would have zero effect on what your saying is useful to you, AP or PP, the list would still include them and the vast majority of the time viewing the actual map to look at the AP would be pretty obvious between a small airstrip and a small "public" airport (much less larger ones like DFW, HOU, IAH, etc) unless you are suggesting that we only map "public" airports. (I hope not)

Once again, IMO, just because it is listed in GIS-L, FAA database or any other website, doesn't mean an automatic mapping of the airport/airstrip. 5 of the 6 examples you provided a while back I have already gone on record a couple times saying they should not be mapped because they don't exist beyond the FAA point in GIS-L.
As I have stated several times throughout the discussion, if the place is obviously an airport/airstrip (private or not) then it should be mapped IMO. If it is not obviously an airport/airstrip then it should not be mapped. Period.
jm6087
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby johnsninja58 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:31 am

I find value in having even the small private airfields mapped. Coming from a public safety background I can tell you there were multiple 911 calls for downed aircraft due to the fact that a local airfield was not visible and the driver saw a low flying plane. Now granted this is not the reason to map things but only a reason why I enjoy seeing them on the map.

That being said, I dont know if the FAA identified is necessary in the primary name if the airport doesnt have a IATA identifier. The airport is probably small enough only a very small number of people would navigate to it and the average driver is only seeing additional text on the screen which doesnt provide much valuable information. It could be an alternative name to assist search function.
-John
-------
[ img ][ img ]
VT - State Manager
New England - Multi State Manager
johnsninja58
PartnerCoordinator
PartnerCoordinator

Postby johnsninja58 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:57 pm

You are trying to solve one off scenarios with an all encompassing national policy. There needs to be a level of local discretion. In the case of Borrego this unique due to the multiple areas layered here. Again something working with the regions leadership can probably be solved.

If a place has gone through the process of obtaining an FAA identifier then it should be an airport and subsequently an area place. If we want to better define what is included with the area place then great. Maybe something simple shared resources to support the operation of the airfield. resources will carry from area to area on how we can determine if something is common or private property and at the end of the day since we don’t have a corresponding satellite view of the location in the app small variables on the borders will not impact the end user.
-John
-------
[ img ][ img ]
VT - State Manager
johnsninja58
PartnerCoordinator
PartnerCoordinator

Postby johnsninja58 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:31 pm

Mapping private airports should still occur. They can still be a navigation destination for a driver.

While the lack of in app satellite view does curtail the use of Waze for scrolling around/browsing the area, there is still use for this for the average wazer. The functionality exists to click on the map and navigate to there. A person might use this functionality for specific area place destinations (although this is inefficient).

I am against the addition of additional text to the name for the smaller private airfields. These are ones that are being debated if they should even rise to the area place, added clutter on the map with a longer name is definitely not beneficial.

The real question is can we find a definition that would help resolve the the area vs place debate? I can see the argument that some small airfields are not worth mapping as an area place but we need an objective definition. I am still leaning towards area place, as most airfields low flying planes are visible far from the roads that abut the property. We might not always see the exact runway but the their presence is apparent.

We have seen examples of small airfields not mapped out there because an editor never got around to it. I would hope that if an editor decides to go on a binge adding small airfields that the local community might be able to redirect them to more valuable activities. At the end of the day, however is it the biggest risk that they are added?
-John
-------
[ img ][ img ]
VT - State Manager
johnsninja58
PartnerCoordinator
PartnerCoordinator

Postby johnsninja58 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:31 pm

Unpaved runways and those that service residences should be point places?
-John
-------
[ img ][ img ]
VT - State Manager
johnsninja58
PartnerCoordinator
PartnerCoordinator

Postby juliansean » Wed May 17, 2017 11:05 am

Just wanted to bring to everyone's attention that "rental car unified" has an issue. You can only link 4 places and unified rental car places "usually" have way more than four. I am duplicating the place to link the rest as an interim solution.
Sean Julian
SM: TX, LA, MS, AR, OK
AM: SE FL, Boston, MA, Brooklyn, NY, Bronx, NY, Manhattan, NY, Queens, NY, E CA, SW KS

[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
juliansean
State Manager
State Manager

Postby juliansean » Wed May 17, 2017 11:26 am

So name them 1, 2, 3 etc with car companies linked?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sean Julian
AM: SE FL, Boston, MA, Brooklyn, NY, Bronx, NY, Manhattan, NY, Queens, NY, E CA, SW KS

juliansean
State Manager
State Manager

Postby juliansean » Wed May 17, 2017 11:40 am

Understood. Thanks for clarifying.

Sean Julian

juliansean
State Manager
State Manager

Postby juliansean » Wed May 17, 2017 11:45 am

Will do. Great idea.

Sean Julian

juliansean
State Manager
State Manager

Postby juliansean » Mon May 22, 2017 2:50 pm

Thanks everyone for helping. The only part I'm confused on is do I create one point for the general rental car area AND the individual rental companies or do I just create the individual car companies (assuming more than 4 companies)? Thank you.
Sean Julian

juliansean
State Manager
State Manager

PreviousNext

Return to US Wiki Discussion