Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Post by SuperDave1426
crazycaveman wrote:
BellHouse wrote:
crazycaveman wrote:Would it be possible to add a check for service roads in the USA? They have been deprecated and aren't to be used. Having them be highlighted (even if it's just as a note) would make it easier to remove them.
You can achieve that with the following custom check:

Custom template: ${typeRank}
Custom regexp: 9
Yeah, I've been using that. I was just thinking that, since this is a country-wide guideline, it would help more people be aware not to use that road type. Also, it would free up one of my custom checks :D
+1
Olestas wrote:You can also use WME Color Highlights for this.
I understand what you're saying there, but - given that Validator's purpose is to highlight things which need attention, and given that "service road" is a type that they want us to avoid using in the US, wouldn't it make more sense to add it as a check within Validator?
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by SuperDave1426
Yea, "soon." How long now have they been saying that they were going to get rid of the service road type as a selection? ;)

That they're going to do this change "soon" is no reason to not have Validator look for it and help us find those types of road now, while it is still something we have to deal with. The check can always be removed later once Waze has removed it and changed all of the roads so that "service road" is no longer on the map.
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by SuperDave1426
doctorkb wrote:The advantage to highlighting is that you could set it correctly.

Service roads may well be streets or parking lot roads, depending on usage.
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee1/ ... hssign.gif Exactly.
When (if?) the type disappears, it is likely the will all become one other type... And I'm going to bet it would be "street" as that is how service roads are routed now.
Right, and with highlighting, we can find them and set them as they should be, before the mass-change-to-whatever (likely "street") happens.

Like another who posted in this thread, I'm also using a custom check to find them. And I agree; it would be nice to free that slot up since we only get two of them and this really should be something that Validator just checks for among the other things it checks for.

If there's something more urgent that's broken, then yea by all means fix those broken items, but adding this check should also happen.
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by SuperDave1426
doctorkb wrote:Mikenit: the problem is they don't do what people who use them expect them to.

They should route like parking lot roads, but they route like streets.
Which is a problem. So, Mikenit, no, the "response" is decidedly not nothing.

Plus, we've been explicitly told to not use the service road type, so we should be looking for them and setting them as an appropriate type. Having them highlighted, even as just a note type, by the Validator would help us a lot towards that end.
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by SuperDave1426
With the new version of WME, when using the "roads experimental" layer, PLRs now seem to vanish because they're small and thin, and a color that compliments the color of the asphalt road in the satellite imagery quite nicely. :shock: ;)

Hopefully, they'll change those things, but in the meantime, I'd like a way to make them stand out better when I'm working on the map. Does anyone know what regexp value needs to be used with ${typeRank} to select a parking lot road type? 'Cause I can't seem to find it. :-)
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by SuperDave1426
Thanks for that. Though, I wonder if the type numbers have changed with the newest version of WME. When I brought up the settings and went to set up the custom template, a regexp value of /1/ resulted in nearby Primary Street and Major Highway types lighting up. Didn't have a Minor Highway nearby, so I don't know about that. The Street type street didn't light up at all, and that chart you quoted says that 1 is a Street. When I changed the regexp to /1$/, the Major Highway was no longer highlighted, but Primary Street still was. And plain old regular Street types remained dark...

Using /20/ didn't light up anything that was nearby, including some PLRs....

So yea, I'm wondering of some of the type numbers have moved around.... :?:

Edit: A bit of searching found this article, listing ${typeRank} values, which was what I wanted anyway. :-) However, the values listed there for PLR, Dirt Road, and Private Road do not cause those road types to be highlighted. I tried a couple of other (Major Highway, Primary Street), and those did light up.

Something seems to have changed, all right, although I'm not sure what. Color Highlighter will highlight those three road types if I check "Highlight a Road Type" and then pick on of them from the drop-down. So Highlighter can figure out what those three are, but using the numbers from that article with Validator doesn't do anything.... :?
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message
Last edited by SuperDave1426 on Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by SuperDave1426
qwaletee wrote:The reason you get multiple segments types highlighted for /1/ is that it also matches /10/../19/ and /21/. You need to either use a matching separators before/after the template and expression, or use the explicit start/end codes in the expression.
I understand that. I simply included it for completeness, to show that it's working as expected for those types.

Oh, reading again - I didn't think about /1/ tripping a /21/ type as well. Ok, so then if I want type 1, I'll be sure to use /^1$/ instead to completely isolate it (I do *NIX, so I grok regexps :)). Thanks for that. However....

My concern is that using the rankType for Private Road, Dirt Road, and Parking Lot Road completely fail to highlight those types of road. That's really the bigger concern for me. :-)
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by SuperDave1426
So, no word on why when looking for ${typeRank} values that used to highlight Private, PLR & Dirt Roads no longer works?
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by SuperDave1426
sketch wrote:
SuperDave1426 wrote:So, no word on why when looking for ${typeRank} values that used to highlight Private, PLR & Dirt Roads no longer works?
They work for me. I just tested them all, and all are working, except that Service Road no longer exists, of course.
Well, I'd just love to know how you're doing it. Because as you can see here, I've selected a typeRank value of 7, which is a PLR, and none of the nearby PLRs on the map display are showing up as highlighted....

Edit: Ok, now this is interesting.... I played around with it a bit more and found that it won't highlight Street type, either. It does light up Minor Highway, Major Highway, Freeway, and Primary Street. They happily glow when I select those types. But everything from Street down doesn't seem to be showing for me. Doesn't seem to matter if I'm using the regular road or experimental road type.

Now, I have seen that if I click on a road type that I've set the typeRank to show, the left pane will have green text saying "User-defined custom check (green)." So apparently it is recognizing the road type; it's just not actually highlighting anything for me lower than Primary Street.... What the heck....? :?:
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message