The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

People are still using satellite images to do their edits

Post by
Unfortunately there are some people who don't take the time to do the right edits, which is to check if there were any road changes by driving to the area to verify the road layout on the map is what is suppose to be, but do their edits by going with the satellite image and change the geometry to match the image which is wrong because the road geometry has changed.(In the map editing forum it does stipulate not to use the satellite image to do your edits.) These two, EECGeek and ign-kateryna change the road image to match with the satellite image resulting in wrong road geometry and also putting back roads that were deleted. I have done these road changes last year to match the new layout, but unfortunately had to redo it by driving back to these areas and trace back these roads with the gps tracking in the route archives. The areas are http://www.waze.com/cartouche_old/?zoom ... FFFTFFTTTT and at http://www.waze.com/cartouche_old/?zoom ... FFFTFFTTTT. If anyone reading this subject and you are from ottawa, ontario, canada, and do know these guys, please tell them not to do edits by satellite image. It is frustrating to retrace the roads again when they were done right the first time after the road construction in that area.

POSTER_ID:1682626

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I'm curious why you are using Cartouche to edit?
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by dmcconachie
Bing is currently your only option I'm afraid.

via Tapatalk
dmcconachie
Send a message
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status

Post by dmcconachie
mikecash wrote:I was afraid of that, but given the half-assed nature of Waze it is about what I expected. Thanks for answering.
Half-assed? It's free, we're lucky to have aerials at all!

via Tapatalk
dmcconachie
Send a message

Post by dmcconachie
Until such a time as waze can actually capitalise our hard work then financially speaking it has no value and so free or cheap sources are all you can expect.

I believe Israel, where the whole process started, never had an aerial to work from in the first place so it can be done. It just requires buy-in from local users.

As for basemaps, it's still possible to work without one. I had my local city working pretty well before the UK basemap was introduced. It takes time. It takes patience!
dmcconachie
Send a message

Post by dmcconachie
mikecash wrote:I fear you may misunderstand me. My disparaging remarks are about Waze....not the Bing aerial photos. If there are no other free options out there, then the editor shouldn't make it look as though there are.
And how should it differentiate? It just downloads the aerial tile from Bing - if the tile is crap it has no way of knowing it.
mikecash wrote:Uhhhh......I know that. Every inch of roadway in the Japan Waze map is user-generated. Unlike your country, I believe our prospects of someday having a basemap are very poor. We also suffer from tons and tons of spurious crap and fragments on the map and from editors who make a mess out of things (half my edits are cleaning up the junk and errors put in by a guy who is area manager for about half the country). I seriously don't know why Waze even bothered opening up here; the implementation would have to improve tenfold to rise to the level of being merely farcical. As I mentioned earlier, we do it for points and the idle distraction like you would get from working a jigsaw puzzle. It is not now nor is it ever likely to be an even marginally useful map/navi app here.
Which is exactly how it used to be here. Crap aerials, "Red spaghetti" everywhere for all sorts of reasons. Clean up was a nightmare and that was before you tried to actually add anything!

Waze hasn't officially launched in Japan, yet. It's only "open" there in the same way it was in many other places before it reached a level deemed fit for launch. If you know of any free sources for a basemap then get in touch with http://www.waze.com/support and they'll be only too happy to try and arrange implementation
dmcconachie
Send a message

Post by dmcconachie
mikecash wrote:Thanks for further illustrating my point about how half-assed Waze is.

1. They didn't even do the bare minimum of offering a Japanese interface for the app.

2. If Bing is my only choice, the editor shouldn't make it appear otherwise.

3. It isn't incumbent upon users to do their work by going around hunting up a basemap for them.

Any day now I expect to receive a notification from Waze giving us a schedule telling each of us what days we are expected to come clean their offices and make coffee.
You're welcome to pay for the service you clearly expect by using one of many other offerings on the market!
dmcconachie
Send a message

Post by dmcconachie
Absolutely, most of us have been and still are frustrated at many aspects but there are ways to express that though. Throwing insults about the place and toys out the pram are two ways to guarantee that people focus on your delivery rather than what you have to say.

via Tapatalk
dmcconachie
Send a message

Post by dmcconachie
Apologists, fanboys and inept are all words that I would take offence to and I'm sure the waze staff would too.

If anyone blindly dismisses your reasoned logic then just ignore them too. I assure you I would not. I've been well known to have rants of my own on here, on twitter and in person.

We all want to see more from waze and the best way is to get involved constructively. I've seen many discussions like this one result in someone giving up completely. I've also seen just as many get involved and become waze champions in their area.

Personally I'm feeling a little disillusioned with waze at the moment as I have done before. But having put (considerable) time and effort in I'm persevering at the moment. I believe my current experience with waze is better than what you are experiencing and that is partly down to that effort. Do I get as much as I want from waze? No, not yet. Can I rely on it for navigation in areas I've overseen? Pretty much. Outside those areas I'm skeptical for sure but with our active and growing community those areas are shrinking all the time.

I'm in this for the long term and can envision a very useful, and dominant, product. That doesn't happen overnight though and unfortunately the current marketplace seems to demand instant satisfaction. Personally I love being part of the rise of Waze!

via Tapatalk
dmcconachie
Send a message

Post by dmcconachie
ok, let's not go off on a tangent from a tangent. Arguing and name-calling aside let's identify the issues and see where we as a community might be able to help, if there are any known issues or weaknesses at the moment and if there are issues we need to raise to support for their input.

Can you provide a permalink and description of an area or route that is causing a particular problem? Apologies if you have before but it's not always easy to trawl through previous posts, particularly on the phone.
dmcconachie
Send a message

Post by EECGeek
Well Joe: I am not going to start a p#$%ing match, however:

First: if you have an issue with some of my edits, please PM me and we can discuss any issue.

Second: the reason I undid some of your edits (which you undid of mine), is because you are not following the Wiki and using proper editing techniques, like splitting up streets and using ramps on streets and primary streets, and proper naming of streets, I could go on and on. I find the KISS principle works best and will keep the waze servers with the least amount of work with less segments and proper naming.

Third: I couldn't navigate anywhere in this city, without the improper routes being displayed. With the month or so I have been doing editing, the city is in the best shape it's ever been in and you should be able to get close to any place with minimal errors.

There is a lot of work yet to be done, I look forward to working with you and other fellow Ottawa area Wazers to make this the best GPS tool there is.

Maybe we should start a To Do list with our fellow Ottawa Wazers.

Greg
EECGeek
Send a message