The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

People are still using satellite images to do their edits

Post by jrockjoe01
Unfortunately there are some people who don't take the time to do the right edits, which is to check if there were any road changes by driving to the area to verify the road layout on the map is what is suppose to be, but do their edits by going with the satellite image and change the geometry to match the image which is wrong because the road geometry has changed.(In the map editing forum it does stipulate not to use the satellite image to do your edits.) These two, EECGeek and ign-kateryna change the road image to match with the satellite image resulting in wrong road geometry and also putting back roads that were deleted. I have done these road changes last year to match the new layout, but unfortunately had to redo it by driving back to these areas and trace back these roads with the gps tracking in the route archives. The areas are http://www.waze.com/cartouche_old/?zoom ... FFFTFFTTTT and at http://www.waze.com/cartouche_old/?zoom ... FFFTFFTTTT. If anyone reading this subject and you are from ottawa, ontario, canada, and do know these guys, please tell them not to do edits by satellite image. It is frustrating to retrace the roads again when they were done right the first time after the road construction in that area.
jrockjoe01

POSTER_ID:1682626

Send a message

Post by EECGeek
joe01romano wrote:I do agree with you. This practice should not be tolerated. I have done over 1000 edits and over 15 major edits to intersections where the road layouts have changed due to construction. But unfortunately here in Ottawa,Ontario,Canada, we have an area manager that doesn't take the te to verify if the changeable are valid. He will delete my changes and redo the road to match the aireal image. I don't know how these guys can call themselves area managers or even given the right to do edits when we do the leg work in doing the right edits and they come and screw it all up.
Well Joe:

Perhaps it is because you are not following the proper techniques at some times, one example is just because the road is split doesn't mean you split it on waze and your not supposed to use ramps at these intersections. I do try to take the time to verify, but we have to get the city in reasonable shape and then do all the minor fixes and verifying of stuff later.

I WOULD ALSO LIKE YOU TO STOP BASHING ME on these forums, you don't know me and frankly you are not following all the proper editing principles. I actually read the WIKI. I'm a newbie at this waze thing, but I've been driving in Ottawa for 27 years and am very familiar with Ottawa.
EECGeek
Send a message

Post by EECGeek
invented wrote:I was up in Ottawa last month, and attempted to use Waze to get me along the 417 from Nepean to the RA Centre, and nearly cried when the exit ramp was called like "417 Ic Bronson 593 29 S" or some mishmash that made no sense. I see you've cleared that disaster up.
Well the whole city was like that, but I hope I have fixed some of that up, I'm still a newbie, but I'm learning.

Joe is still undoing my edits, even though I think I'm doing them by the wiki, I tried PMing him, but no answer??????

Greg
EECGeek
Send a message

Post by invented
I find the Bing images to be helpful, but they're pretty outdated. Often the base map geometry sucks and it can help to snap roads and create gentle curves, etc. However, if one does not have an intricate knowledge of the area (like I do of mine), inexperienced users will draw back in realigned roads and things. :(
invented
Send a message

Post by invented
llayden wrote:A little over a year later this is what Dublin looks like
https://world.waze.com/editor/zoom=0&la ... FFTFTTTTFT
404 - Not Found

Fitting.
invented
Send a message

Post by invented
joe01romano wrote:I do agree with you. This practice should not be tolerated. I have done over 1000 edits and over 15 major edits to intersections where the road layouts have changed due to construction. But unfortunately here in Ottawa,Ontario,Canada, we have an area manager that doesn't take the te to verify if the changeable are valid. He will delete my changes and redo the road to match the aireal image. I don't know how these guys can call themselves area managers or even given the right to do edits when we do the leg work in doing the right edits and they come and screw it all up.
There's a guy in the GTA that does the same, like he owns the roads or something.
invented
Send a message

Post by invented
EECGeek wrote:
Well Joe:

Perhaps it is because you are not following the proper techniques at some times, one example is just because the road is split doesn't mean you split it on waze and your not supposed to use ramps at these intersections. I do try to take the time to verify, but we have to get the city in reasonable shape and then do all the minor fixes and verifying of stuff later.

I WOULD ALSO LIKE YOU TO STOP BASHING ME on these forums, you don't know me and frankly you are not following all the proper editing principles. I actually read the WIKI. I'm a newbie at this waze thing, but I've been driving in Ottawa for 27 years and am very familiar with Ottawa.
I was up in Ottawa last month, and attempted to use Waze to get me along the 417 from Nepean to the RA Centre, and nearly cried when the exit ramp was called like "417 Ic Bronson 593 29 S" or some mishmash that made no sense. I see you've cleared that disaster up.
invented
Send a message

Post by invented
EECGeek wrote:
invented wrote:I was up in Ottawa last month, and attempted to use Waze to get me along the 417 from Nepean to the RA Centre, and nearly cried when the exit ramp was called like "417 Ic Bronson 593 29 S" or some mishmash that made no sense. I see you've cleared that disaster up.
Well the whole city was like that, but I hope I have fixed some of that up, I'm still a newbie, but I'm learning.

Joe is still undoing my edits, even though I think I'm doing them by the wiki, I tried PMing him, but no answer??????

Greg
Send a complaint to Waze directly
invented
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
mikecash wrote: I fear you may misunderstand me. My disparaging remarks are about Waze....not the Bing aerial photos. If there are no other free options out there, then the editor shouldn't make it look as though there are.
Where and how does the editor make it look as though there are?
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jrockjoe01
I do agree with you. This practice should not be tolerated. I have done over 1000 edits and over 15 major edits to intersections where the road layouts have changed due to construction. But unfortunately here in Ottawa,Ontario,Canada, we have an area manager that doesn't take the te to verify if the changeable are valid. He will delete my changes and redo the road to match the aireal image. I don't know how these guys can call themselves area managers or even given the right to do edits when we do the leg work in doing the right edits and they come and screw it all up.
jrockjoe01
Send a message