9th Street Tunnel

Post by RHaase6
Every evening rush hour the 9th Street tunnel going towards 395 is a nightmare. Since there's no cell reception in there except for one or two spots, and there's a bunch of other roads crossing over, Waze has a hard time recognising this traffic, no matter how many people report it. If you blindly follow the directions, you'll likely add an hour to your ETA by the time you're done. Is there anything that can be done?
RHaase6

POSTER_ID:17431832

Send a message

Post by adamwillis
jr1982jr wrote:The short term answer is that no GPS means no good Waze functionality. The longer term answer is that Waze has been trialing some GPS beacons that will help with this. The article I included below talks about the trial in Pittsburg and several internation cities.

http://venturebeat.com/2016/09/21/waze-beacons-tunnels/
This is awesome! I have actually thought about this several times (Apple iBeacon) while in a tunnel and I don't know if I'm staying straight or going right at exit 9 to capital. I remember the MLB Ballpark app used to have some iBeacon settings that would check me in and was supposed to eventually help someone navigate the ballpark inside the app. The setting seems to have disappeared and I haven't heard of iBeacon probably ever since but always thought it had good potential for something like this forum topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
adamwillis
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by jr1982jr
The short term answer is that no GPS means no good Waze functionality. The longer term answer is that Waze has been trialing some GPS beacons that will help with this. The article I included below talks about the trial in Pittsburg and several internation cities.

http://venturebeat.com/2016/09/21/waze-beacons-tunnels/
jr1982jr
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5
Send a message

Post by jr1982jr
It did not occur to me when I posted previously but we actually have a meeting with Waze staff next month. I will add the beacons to my list of discussion topics.
jr1982jr
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5
Send a message

Post by RHaase6
Thanks for the quick reply! Is there any way in the map editor perhaps to schedule a traffic jam? There's lots of roads in the area that become one-way at certain times, and Waze never sends me the wrong way in those situations.
RHaase6
Send a message

Post by subs5
Haase6 wrote:Thanks for the quick reply! Is there any way in the map editor perhaps to schedule a traffic jam? There's lots of roads in the area that become one-way at certain times, and Waze never sends me the wrong way in those situations.

The one way streets are already programmed into Waze by using Time Based Segment Restrictions.

To "schedule a traffic jam" is already taken care of by the historical speed history and the algorithm. That is why if there is a large backup on an interstate, then Waze can pick it up fairly quickly and offer alternate routing.
subs5
Country Manager
Country Manager
Answers: 3
Send a message