Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Feature Request: Auto Share Arrival Time

Post by pnear
I recently switched from a Blackberry to the iPhone, and with that switched back to using Waze.

I had been using Blackberry Traffic, an app from RIM that quite simply graphs your route to and from work every day. One killer feature for me was that it sends my wife a notification of when I'll be home. Love that, use it every day.

I'd like to see this added to Waze. For each destination in my favourites, define an email address to notify when I'm on my way. With no more than one tap I should be able to let them know when I'll be there and it should notify them again if the arrival time changes significantly.
pnear

POSTER_ID:892832

Send a message

Post by bgodette
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
bgodette wrote:No you were clear, that's just not my experience.
I will give it a try again tomorrow. Perhaps it's been fixed and I didn't notice. I forgot what platform you're on?
Android, but it shouldn't matter as eta comes from the route server.

It's all my phone's fault for using Tapatalk.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bgodette
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Here's what iOS has experienced with the "Share Dest" feature since day 1. The first ETA in the text/email is correct and spot on with the actual ETA as long as you send it prior to driving. The first ETA is 12:04.

The following images show the progression of driving and how far off the ETA gets after less than 2 hours of driving. I cannot say for sure, but it looks like the ETA is the message is always the time from now and adding in the original estimated duration of driving. Either way, this feature is near useless on iOS.
Yeah that's pretty broken. Since all Android has is the tweeting I just share the tweet, which is always sent at the start, via SMS if they need it.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
Text or call her before you leave? Waze doesn't have this functionality. Not likely to be implemented but you never know.
Could say to her to look at the live map although it doesn't update that often. Maybe every 5-10 min or so.

Sent from my ALCATEL one touch 990 using Tapatalk
floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
That one's news to me :)

Sent from my ALCATEL one touch 990 using Tapatalk
floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
Umm.... that works well....

Sent from my Telenor_OneTouch using Tapatalk
floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by kingspadeshan
pnear wrote:I recently switched from a Blackberry to the iPhone, and with that switched back to using Waze.

I had been using Blackberry Traffic, an app from RIM that quite simply graphs your route to and from work every day. One killer feature for me was that it sends my wife a notification of when I'll be home. Love that, use it every day.

I'd like to see this added to Waze. For each destination in my favourites, define an email address to notify when I'm on my way. With no more than one tap I should be able to let them know when I'll be there and it should notify them again if the arrival time changes significantly.
I agree with you, i used that app for the same reason and miss that feature.
kingspadeshan
Send a message

Post by pnear
Yes, I saw that in there as well which makes me think it's not too far from being usable. As it currently stands, too many taps to get it done so it isn't practical for daily use. But close!
pnear
Send a message

Post by RallyChris
But livemap isn't guaranteed to show everyone.

I'm pretty sure this is in the general release version for iPhone (I'm on the beta program, and get lost sometimes if I'm on a beta version or release version).

But when in navigation, open the menu, swipe the menu right to left to bring up the second menu (Don't worry, the app only tells you about this once, and everyone I've talked to has forgotten about it, or doesn't remember seeing the pop up.) Choose "Share dest". Then choose text or email. Note that I do recall issues with the ETA in these to be incorrect, so you might pay attention when you do this to see if it is correct.

This is not automatic, but it's a start.
RallyChris
Send a message
Portland, OR / USA - Mega Mapper
Wiki: Area Manager | Map Editing | Known Issues List
Official Suggestion Websites (hosted by uservoice):
Waze Client | Waze Website / Editor
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/d/d9/W ... 00k_5c.png

Post by Spil
My experience is similar to bgodette's also ... the ETA is generally correct to within a minute or so on my way to and from work (about 30 minutes) or church (about 15 minutes). That could be due to me being one of very few Wazers in my area (so that a lot of the data on those routes is mine, thus keeping the ETA commensurate with my regular driving there); however, I've seen the same ETA consistency on longer trips as well, such as infrequent visits to my parents (2 hours west) or my wife's parents (2 hours east).
Spil
Send a message
I'm Spil, and I approve this message! :D
~ ~ AM: Upstate NY; CM: USA/Canada ~ ~
Wazing the I-86 Corridor with my Casio C771 G'zOne Commando
New York Editors: To-Do List!
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/c/c8/W ... 00k_6c.png