Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Source code repository on github

Post by cymike
I've put together all publicly available source code files (from this page: http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Source_code ) into a git repo and pushed it to github:
https://github.com/mkoloberdin/waze

Here is what "gitk --all" output looks like:
http://i48.tinypic.com/sm39ky.png
So guys, go ahead, clone/fork it and do something with it ;)
It would be nice if Waze developers cloned it too and committed the latest version ;)

Note: The "master" branch is empty, use platform-specific branches (android, iphone etc.).
cymike

POSTER_ID:2201329

Send a message
Last edited by cymike on Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by bgodette
xteejx wrote:And what the hell has that got to do with the topic of this thread?
Nothing, so relocking.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bigbluetruckguys
No. Anything extracted from the APK file is impossible to work with. Function, class, and variable names are lost and converted to identifiers with no meaning.
bigbluetruckguys
Send a message

Post by bigbluetruckguys
On twitter they just replied to me:
@stackTrase Since version 3.0 we haven't had an open source code :(
Don't know how that fits in with the OpenSource technology they use in their software.
bigbluetruckguys
Send a message

Post by bigbluetruckguys
Yes but if you use GPL code you can't modify it and have it closed source.
bigbluetruckguys
Send a message

Post by chris_debian
Hi, all.

Being a keen supporter of open-source software (FSF definition) and with the move from v2 to v3, I asked the Waze team to comment on the licensing, back in March.

The email reply I received was:

"Hi Chris
Thanks for approaching us. Happy to hear Waze can still work on the G1.
Regarding the Wikipedia and Waze Wiki, they refer to version prior to version 3.0 as version 3.0 has been totally rewritten and is no longer distributed under the GPL license.
Regards
Fej"

Not sure whether this clears things up?

Thanks,

Chris.
chris_debian
Send a message

Post by chris_debian
xteejx wrote:Yeah but I'd bet there's still GPL code in there, but that's not for me to pursue.

Sent from my Telenor_OneTouch using Tapatalk
I think Waze is a great project, and was disappointed when they 'went closed' with v3.0. I share your concerns about the GPL code, but hope that this isn't the case.

Unfortunately too many vendors abuse the freedom of GPL'd code:

http://gpl-violations.org/

Cheers,

Chris.
chris_debian
Send a message

Post by chris_debian
Interesting comments, Cougar.

Not sure whether the 2.4 branch is maintained, or available for easy download for 'normal' users. In an ideal world, the product would be completely open. Right now, I'd be happy to know that GPL code was removed from the v3.0 product, and when installing Waze, it would be great for the user to be asked whether s/he wanted to use the open-source version, or the proprietary version. Obviously the question would be better phrased than this, so the user actually understand what s/he was being asked...some may be unfamiliar with the term 'open-source '. To make it easier, perhaps both versions could be available from Market/ Play (or whatever it is called, now :-) ).

Cheers,

Chris.
chris_debian
Send a message

Post by chris_debian
Hi, p37td8.

As this is meant to be open source code, if nobody can answer your technical question, could we ask the Waze devs directly?

Thanks,

Chris.
chris_debian
Send a message

Post by chris_debian
p37td8 wrote:No one is trying to build the source for android ? Waze developers don`t read this forum?
I'm not sure whether or not the developers read the forum. I just meant that if anyone has real technical issues, they could always ask the developers.

Thanks,

Chris.
chris_debian
Send a message