Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by llayden
mikecash wrote: As I mentioned earlier, we do it for points and the idle distraction like you would get from working a jigsaw puzzle.
Hi Mike,

Your jigsaw analogy is exactly correct. In fact, over the Christmas holiday, I usually do a jigsaw to while away some of the idle time. This Christmas past, I didn't... I Wazedited instead. I agree with most of what you said. I have described the Waze devotees as hobbyists here many times. ("lickspittle apologists" is a good one - I must remember to use it elsewhere!) My main gripe has not been the things that they have failed to do but the little obstacles they put in the way that reduce productivity of editing - in effect saying that some of the jigsaw pieces are not available to you and you can only do it the slowest possible way.

As far as the OP is concerned I would say that of course people edit from the aerial images. It will take for ever otherwise. They should of course pay attention to other people's edits and the GPS layer but it will take forever if people don't edit from the aerials.

I too am in a mapped-from-scratch country. When I started, in February of last year, Ireland's maps were similar to yours - perhaps a bit worse because two individuals had driven around madly and never edited anything - all their crap was in the way and back then you could not delete other people's roads unless you were an AM. The leader board for the country had, typically, five people per week on it and I was on the all-time leader board within a few days of starting. A little over a year later this is what Dublin looks like
https://world.waze.com/editor/?zoom=0&l ... FFTFTTTTFT
It is practically complete and if you look at anywhere in the east of the country, you will find that all the major and minor routes are in and considerable progress is being made on the lesser roads. I say this by way of encouragement (and slightly bragging). Its not completely hopeless but it will take a big effort - an effort that could be reduced considerably if Waze looked at productivity seriously. There are about ten active editors in the country but still not enough people driving to remove the guesswork about the fastest route home in the evening. I begin to despair that it will ever provide me with that. The drop-off rate is horrendous - a friend who started about four weeks ago has amassed 7608 points and has a world ranking of 92258 i.e. in a month he has passed 2.3 million people who download the application and gave up.

The bad news is that it has cost me 232,526 map edits, 1591.516 new kms, 41,773.61 existing kms, 716 resolved URs and 1,632,881 Waze cookie eating meters giving me 944,430 points and a world rank of 13, I intend to stop shortly (on 999,999 points with any luck) as the portion of the jigsaw I am interested in is effectively finished.

I would encourage you to keep giving the "lickspittle apologists" a hard time!
llayden
Send a message
Last edited by llayden on Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by marcedli
joe01romano wrote:I do agree with you. This practice should not be tolerated. I have done over 1000 edits and over 15 major edits to intersections where the road layouts have changed due to construction. But unfortunately here in Ottawa,Ontario,Canada, we have an area manager that doesn't take the te to verify if the changeable are valid. He will delete my changes and redo the road to match the aireal image. I don't know how these guys can call themselves area managers or even given the right to do edits when we do the leg work in doing the right edits and they come and screw it all up.
The only way to make things better if you form a group, then build. A website with useful info and write down your own principles and lead your country. This is what we do in Hungary and works pretty good. The Waze Hungarian Group is unofficial, but official somehow (waze hq supports this kind of "self government"), that is the only way we see to avoid such probs what you mention.

Tapatalked, swyped from cm9 nightly using devil kernel
marcedli
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by mikecash
I'd like to know how to pull up something other than Bing. I live in a country with no basemap and....maddeningly....useful satellite imagery ends just a couple of kilometers away from my city. I don't see how they could have detailed images of every cow path up to that point and then nothing but useless splotchy blobs for a large city right in the adjacent section, but that's how it is.
mikecash
Send a message

Post by mikecash
I was afraid of that, but given the half-assed nature of Waze it is about what I expected. Thanks for answering.
mikecash
Send a message

Post by mikecash
dmcconachie wrote:
mikecash wrote:I was afraid of that, but given the half-assed nature of Waze it is about what I expected. Thanks for answering.
Half-assed? It's free, we're lucky to have aerials at all!

via Tapatalk
If the time we spend doing Waze's work for them is worth anything, it is the most expensive "free" app going. I think it reasonable to expect them to do a heck of a lot better job than they are doing so, yes, I do consider Waze to be of a half-assed nature.

The free aerials don't exist because of Waze, so surely you didn't mean to offer that as a refutation of my point.

rwstout wrote:
mikecash wrote:I'd like to know how to pull up something other than Bing. I live in a country with no basemap and....maddeningly....useful satellite imagery ends just a couple of kilometers away from my city. I don't see how they could have detailed images of every cow path up to that point and then nothing but useless splotchy blobs for a large city right in the adjacent section, but that's how it is.
Have you tried Open Street Map already?
http://www.openstreetmap.org/
Yes, and it is wretchedly incomplete for Japan.

There are several splendid paid and free map and navigation app options available for Japan, with extraordinary accuracy and functionality, which I strongly suspect Waze will NEVER have. There is no language localization, they seem clueless to the fact we don't use street names and house numbers, there is ZERO basemap (we do it all from scratch), and even for a major city like Tokyo you will never see more than two or three Wazers active so it is useless for traffic information. When I first checked out the forum, I was amazed at all the posts about problems with the navigation function....because Waze is so poorly implemented here it never even dawned on me that it HAS a navigation function. Over here we mess around with Waze pretty much for the same reason you might while away some idle time pointlessly working on a jigsaw puzzle.

They are crap for map or point updates, the app is bloody useless (at least here) for what it purports to be, and the users apparently do 99% of the work on the thing. Yeah, I called it a half-assed app. And that's a charitable assessment of it.
mikecash
Send a message

Post by mikecash
dmcconachie wrote:Until such a time as waze can actually capitalise our hard work then financially speaking it has no value and so free or cheap sources are all you can expect.
I fear you may misunderstand me. My disparaging remarks are about Waze....not the Bing aerial photos. If there are no other free options out there, then the editor shouldn't make it look as though there are.

As for basemaps, it's still possible to work without one. I had my local city working pretty well before the UK basemap was introduced. It takes time. It takes patience!
Uhhhh......I know that. Every inch of roadway in the Japan Waze map is user-generated. Unlike your country, I believe our prospects of someday having a basemap are very poor. We also suffer from tons and tons of spurious crap and fragments on the map and from editors who make a mess out of things (half my edits are cleaning up the junk and errors put in by a guy who is area manager for about half the country). I seriously don't know why Waze even bothered opening up here; the implementation would have to improve tenfold to rise to the level of being merely farcical. As I mentioned earlier, we do it for points and the idle distraction like you would get from working a jigsaw puzzle. It is not now nor is it ever likely to be an even marginally useful map/navi app here.
mikecash
Send a message

Post by mikecash
Thanks for further illustrating my point about how half-assed Waze is.

1. They didn't even do the bare minimum of offering a Japanese interface for the app.

2. If Bing is my only choice, the editor shouldn't make it appear otherwise.

3. It isn't incumbent upon users to do their work by going around hunting up a basemap for them.

Any day now I expect to receive a notification from Waze giving us a schedule telling each of us what days we are expected to come clean their offices and make coffee.
mikecash
Send a message

Post by mikecash
dmcconachie wrote: You're welcome to pay for the service you clearly expect by using one of many other offerings on the market!
When I expect to actually derive even the most minimal map/navi functionality from an app I already do that, as Waze is entirely useless for either purpose.

You can try to twist it around to make it look like I'm expecting services for free, but I've said nothing of the sort. I think the people who own Waze are clearly falling far short in what they should be doing on their end of the provider-user relationship, especially since they so clearly expect so extraordinarily much of their work to be done by the users.

It wouldn't kill them to actually update points every 24 hours as they say they do instead of maybe once or twice a week as they actually do.

It wouldn't kill them to update the map more than once every month or two.

It wouldn't kill them to at least produce a local language menu for the app before opening it up in Japan.

This app entails a two-sided relationship between the provider and the users, and the providers aren't holding up their end of the bargain. But they have their devoted lickspittle apologists to tell anyone with the temerity to point it out that they can just go elsewhere and that we should be grateful for the opportunity to do tons of work in return for nonexistent functionality. I presume when the cleaning and coffee schedule gets released you will dutifully book your airline ticket and show up. Make sure to take your own cleaning supplies along. Maybe some sanitary wipes to clean their backsides with prior to planting a big smoochie on them.
mikecash
Send a message

Post by mikecash
nickjgill wrote:I can't help but laugh at mikecash's comments. Mikecash if you feel that you are better than the rest of the world than you should obviously stop complaining and instead focus your energy on learning how to come up with your own app. Maybe it is time for you to simply move on.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
Another of the "STFU and go away" morons heard from......

I'm not complaining about the free map and navigation app Waze provides me. The free app Waze provides me has neither map nor navigation functionality. I'm getting nothing for free from Waze. They, on the other hand, get my labor for free. As I am a professional driver and spend up to sixteen hours a day six days a week on the road, Waze gets tons and tons of valuable data from me....for free.

They provide me nothing; I provide them data they desperately need in a country with no base map.

I hold up my end of the bargain. When I see them CONSTANTLY falling down on their end, I feel perfectly entitled and qualified to point it out. It isn't as though their shortcomings and displays of incompetence were a secret or that I am the first or only one to point them out.

A bunch of suck-up fanboys heaping totally undeserved praise and gratitude on the inept bunglers who are making a miserable job out of attempting to implement the concept of what Waze was meant to be and constantly telling those of us who think the Waze staff is failing to hold up their end of the bargain to just shut up and go away is juvenile and counterproductive.

The problem is not those such as myself who contribute tons of data despite receiving ZERO functionality from the app and who point out that they expect more from the paid staff. The problem is those who provide tons of data despite receiving zero functionality from the app, decide that it is a worthless waste of time, and just quietly disappear.
mikecash
Send a message