Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.
Post by bgodette
bmitch3020 wrote:Any automated solution is going to result in a lot of one-off or edge cases that don't work correctly. I think the best solution is to provide a TTS input under the Label input. Use the default TTS rules if no values are provided, and show the expanded value. And if "customize TTS" or some other checkbox is selected, allow the map editor to put in plain English (or their language of choice) into the TTS box. E.g.:

Label: Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. St N
TTS: Doctor Martin Luther King Junior Street North

Label: N St.
TTS: N Street

Label: Geo Wash Pkwy
TTS: George Washington Parkway

This way the label can match the sign, but the editor can fix the TTS if we see the default isn't correct.
Actually this needs to be expanded on further, what we need to know is which Open Source TTS engine is being used so we know what the TTS hinting syntax is, so we have direct control to correct regional pronunciation as well as non-English words in a predominately English environment.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bgodette
jenncard wrote:Does anyone have any thoughts about "one half", "three quarters", or (my personal favorite for the sheer ridiculous factor) "fifty one-hundredths"?
I keep forgetting to convert some of those Co Rd X 1/2 to CR-X.5 to see what happens. In any case it's just more TTS preprocessing to handle fractions.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bgodette
jenncard wrote:Then there is also the case where X<>number, like "F 1/2 Rd" :roll:
Isn't that F#?
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bgodette
jenncard wrote:No. I think that it is actually "BJ Rd".
:lol:
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bgodette
jasonh300 wrote:Not sure if anyone else confirmed this, but last night, I found that St. is pronounced as "Saint". This was in "Bay St. Louis". I don't know whether it's the positioning or the period that makes it work. It pronounces Louis "Lou-ee", but that's another issue.

Sketch pointed out yesterday in another thread that "Iberville" is pronounced "d'Iberville", which is surprising. We pronounce the street "EYE-ber-vil" whereas d'Iberville, like the town in Mississippi, is usually pronounced "dee-IHB-er-vil".
Didn't I already say Wanda is a French-Canadian Mexican?
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bgodette
WeeeZer14 wrote:There have been situations were Waze has cached the TTS audio files for frequently used streets/ramps. Users had to manually delete these files to get the effects of new TTS rules. I don't remember the details, but just wanted to point that out if you see slightly different pronunciation in different cases. It could be the case or it could be cached data.
Entering cc@tts into waze's search will clear the tts cache.

It's all my phone's fault for using Tapatalk.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bgodette
jasonh300 wrote:I thought that was the voice of Siri. Samantha doesn't sound like Siri at all.

Personally, I wish I could change them over to Jane Barbe.
Siri is definitely Nuance Samantha, the reason Waze sounds different is Waze is using a lower bit rate and resolution than Siri.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bgodette
qwaletee wrote:That page needs serious copyediting.
Go right ahead, and be sure to submit it to a new page or sandbox so others can review your work.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bgodette
kentsmith9 wrote:
dbraughlr wrote:There are prefixes like "I-" and "US-" don't get special pronunciation.
For all these that you propose, I would be fine with just the letters being pronounced.

Otherwise, what the harm is there in shortening them?
  • IRR-xxx → "Reservation Road".
  • ITR-xxx → "Tribal Road".
Are you proposing two possible options for "IRR-123" to be pronounced either
1. "Eye Are Are One Two Three"
or
2. "Reservation Road One Two Three"

Was there a desire not to have it say the whole thing, or were you just offering ideas to shorten it?
Perhaps the reasoning is much like with County Roads. The generic is just County Road even tho they may be signed or locally known as <Countyname> County Road ###.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bgodette
mdavidsonjr wrote:How about the fm roads. Has that been fixed yet, still getting a few reports around houston on this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FM #### is confirmed as saying Farm to Market, FM-#### likely does the same. If you're still getting reports, advise them to clear TTS cache by "navigating" to cc@tts in the app.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message