Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clients

[ img ] This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Moderator: MapSir

Re: Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clien

Postby CBenson » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:09 pm

I see that "Pr" has been added to the spreadsheet. Please note that the entries I have heard are for "Pr." - with the period (if that makes a difference).
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby sketch » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:18 pm

GizmoGuy411 wrote:
sketch wrote:Have you tried "Thwy" yet? That's how it's abbreviated up on the exit signs up in Baton Rouge.

CBenson suggested that some time ago, however it has not been tested yet.

Don't you or jasonh300 ever get a chance to hear it?

At the rate that our map tiles are getting updated, I could drive down to Baton Rouge and learn the results faster!

Haha, probably! I don't get to Baton Rouge much, and I don't think Jason does either, to be honest. I may or may not be heading that way tomorrow, so I'll check it if I have a minute.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:54 pm

GizmoGuy411 wrote:Thanks to CBenson's link, I've also added the relavant abbreviations from the "Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices, Section 1A.15 Abbreviations Used on Traffic Control Devices" list today.
I would also note I was somewhat surprised (not having any use for the "Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices" expect for waze map editing) at how much each state might change that list. Here is Maryland's for example.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby GizmoGuy411 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:34 pm

In a rush to get as much of the TTS abbreviation testing into WME before the update, I've added every outstanding entry from the list to WME last night.

Thanks to CBenson's link, I've also added the relavant abbreviations from the "Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices, Section 1A.15 Abbreviations Used on Traffic Control Devices" list today.

Anyone want to drive to NW Ohio or to the ski mountains of Colorado to test all of our entries. Maybe Jen can come to farm country, and I can go skiing!
GizmoGuy411
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby jenncard » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:14 pm

jasonh300 wrote:Fortunately, I learned to drive a stick-shift when I was about 11. :lol:

I taught myself when i was 13. It is amazing how much one can learn by watching very, very closely...

So, still no map update? At this rate, I'm thinking I should have kept adding more and more roads to my TTS playground!
jenncard

Location: Somewhere in Los Angeles, but probably on my bicycle

Postby jasonh300 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:09 pm

BrianCanFixIT wrote:I've just encountered a sign with "Drwy" for Driveway. so I guess the other permutation for this would also be valid: drwy, drway.

Was it a parking lot? I want to see a link to this.

I remember when I was about 8, and my dad taught me to how to operate a car, I had a hard time understanding why we put the car in Park when we're in the Driveway, but the car is in Drive when we're on the Parkway.

Fortunately, I learned to drive a stick-shift when I was about 11. :lol:
jasonh300

Postby CBenson » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:20 pm

I see that you have a abbr. source column now. The ones I originally suggested were found in section 1.A.15 of the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby GizmoGuy411 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:20 am

sketch wrote:Have you tried "Thwy" yet? That's how it's abbreviated up on the exit signs up in Baton Rouge.

CBenson suggested that some time ago, however it has not been tested yet.

Don't you or jasonh300 ever get a chance to hear it?

At the rate that our map tiles are getting updated, I could drive down to Baton Rouge and learn the results faster!
GizmoGuy411
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby GizmoGuy411 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:58 am

sketch wrote:For the record:

"Intl" is pronounced like "Entull". It would be nice to have it pronounced as "International".

The example that led me here is doubly problematic, in fact: an exit is signed as "N.O. Intl Airport". If I label it "N.O. Intl", it'll say "North Oh Entull", but if I say "NO" it'll just be "No Entull". I'm going to label this segment "New Orleans International" for now, but it would be nice to have it somehow workable.

Thanks guys. I'll add your results sketch, plus another test with the abbreviations as banished, and jasonh300 suggested plus a few more of my own.

I previously added some common abbreviations for New York City to test, but I guess we should add a few others like for New Orleans, and Los Angles. But my mind is blank at the moment for other very large metro areas that are likely to have frequent such abbreviations on their local signs.

Any other suggestions anyone?
Last edited by GizmoGuy411 on Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
GizmoGuy411
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby banished » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:52 pm

jasonh300 wrote:How about "Int'l"?

I found the difference in TTS pronunciation between "Jr" and "Jr." (note the period), was "jay-are" and "junior" with the later being correct. I do not know if the difference between "Intl" and "Intl." would produce similar results, but though it worth mentioning in case it hasn't been tried, yet.
banished
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to United States