Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clients

Image This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Moderator: adriansinger

Re: Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clien

Postby bowieb2 » Mon May 19, 2014 1:52 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:As noted above by bgodette, clearing tts cache is done by navigating to cc@tts (case sensitive).

Ah! I must have missed that. That's an odd way of doing things. I would have expected a button in the configuration or something.

Hopefully that will have fixed it. I'll test it in the morning (navigation does not speak those road names on the way home).
bowieb2

Postby bowieb2 » Wed May 21, 2014 1:11 pm

bowieb2 wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:As noted above by bgodette, clearing tts cache is done by navigating to cc@tts (case sensitive).

Ah! I must have missed that. That's an odd way of doing things. I would have expected a button in the configuration or something.

Hopefully that will have fixed it. I'll test it in the morning (navigation does not speak those road names on the way home).

That worked! Thanks for the help!

Bowie
bowieb2

Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clients

Postby BrianCanFixIT » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:51 pm

I've just encountered a sign with "Drwy" for Driveway. so I guess the other permutation for this would also be valid: drwy, drway.
Area Manager: Sacramento & rural California
iPhone 4s, iOS 5.0.1 JB
BrianCanFixIT

Postby Bruce1224 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:23 pm

It's rare to see roads using just the letter "i" in the name but I have seen a couple.

I found a UR indicating that a county road, "CR-I-7" (that's the capital letter 'I') was pronounced "Interstate 7" by Waze tts directions. Can someone confirm if this can be alleviated by labeling the road "CR-'i'-7" similar to the convention, e.g., CR-'e' ?
Bruce1224
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby Bruce1224 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:22 pm

Re: the reply from Sketch two posts back -
I was able to drive to a county road late yesterday without going too many miles out of the way, properly labeled "CR-I" and tts did indeed pronounce it correctly as "eye". I'm too far from the road with the UR to check it out anytime soon, which is labeled "Rd I-7" but I put a message on the UR asking the reporter to confirm what he heard.
Bruce1224
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby Bruce1224 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:56 pm

Re: the letter i in street names

Regarding how tts says roads with the letter i as a part of the name, a couple weeks ago I wrote about a UR I saw where the reporter said that "Rd I-7" was called "interstate 7". Since it's unlikely I'll get to drive to that road to check it due to it's distance, I decided to take advantage of the plentiful farm land in Indiana where I am to test a few alternatives. I created segments of 3 different roads at least several miles apart in the fields of unsuspecting farmers. Each road started "CR-xxx" and tts called each one "County Road". No surprise there.

Here's what I heard for the rest of the label, using single quotes or a period after the letter i:

CR-'I'-7 was pronounced "eye minus 7" - I didn't expect it to call the hyphen "minus".

CR-I.-8 was pronounced "eye minus 8", but with a distinct, short pause after the letter i as though it was paying attention to the period.

CR-I-4 was pronounced correctly as "eye 4"

This last one is consistent with what Sketch said. I believe the tts pronunciation would be the same whether the 'CR' is separated from the letter and/or number by either a space or hyphen, but in my little test the single quotation marks or period didn't help. I didn't get a reply from the reporter of the UR I saw, so I didn't get anything confirmed from them.
Bruce1224
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby CBenson » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:54 pm

I'm not sure how waze plans to handle regional/national/language diffences, but I am assuming that currently we are dealing with US English. If that is the case I would add in the state abbrieviations. For instance "MD" is pronounced "emm-dee" by waze. "Penn" is a problem and is pronounced "Pennsylvania."

I would also add the following:
Alternate - ALT
Bound - BND
Crossing - X-ING
Expressway - EXPWY
International - INTL
National - NATL
Route - RT
Throughway - THWY

I would also note that some abbrieviations are ambiguous: ST for Saint or Street and DR for Doctor or Drive. Also some streets are lettered thus there are "E St (or Ave, Blvd etc.)," "N St," "S St" and "W St" out there. Ultimately, there will need to be a method for distinguishing "St" when it means Saint and "St" when it means Street and "N" when it means North and "N" when is should just be "N." If this is done with punctuation then we need to test "St" and "St." etc. If this is done by parsing the phrase, that is "N" is N if followed by a road designation, but north otherwise, then we will need to indicate the different results depending on the phrase.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Altantic, US
Verizon, Droid Turbo, Android 4.4.4, Waze 3.9.4.0
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:58 pm

How should the street between "M St" and "O St" be input so that it is not spoken "North St?"
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:49 am

The credits for the Android Waze 2.9.99.120 says: "Text to Speech: (c) Copyright 2011 Nuance Communications, Inc."
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:49 pm

Yep, no problems with fractions here.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs