Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by Borgholio
rand0m9 wrote:
Borgholio wrote:
TSXyKorova wrote:
I see no point in arguing about it.

// Sent using Tapatalk HD Beta. Please PM me with any issues. //
I see no point in necroing a 7 month old thread...
I don't see the point in letting these threads go dead which just causes people to make a ton of duplicate topics because a previous one got pushed back a few pages and people are too lazy to search.

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
Obviously someone doesn't know basic forum etiquette involving necroing old threads.
Borgholio
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
You will be assimilated...bunghole!

Area Manager - Southern California, Highway 395, Yosemite National Park, Mariposa County and surrounding area.

[img]https:///NvxDK[/img] [img]https:///ZPXMBb[/img]

Post by checkyoulater
first off i have to tip my hats off to the devs, from all the GPS/nav apps i've tried nothing has come close to the experience i have had with WAZE. that being said, having downloadable maps must be on the table. with all the social aspects layered over it. making that an optional "paid" version would definitely put waze over the top. while i have no fear of data plans going haywire on an unlimited data plan, BUT the philippines is notorious for not having the best OTA data speeds transfers. this would definitely cause problems with maps not loading fast enough, or not loading at all, to be actually useful.

i love the social feature/crowd sourcing data implementation. and it does bring drivers and commuters together on a common platform. but this is all for nothing if the maps don't load properly because of slow data connection speeds. (am i making sense here?)
checkyoulater
Send a message

Post by dmcconachie
Planning your route (ie requesting a route) whilst you have a data connection should* cache the required route.

*I say should, there are mixed reports of the success of this. I've seen it work for a 150 mile journey (during the fabled AWS Ireland outage no less) but YMMV.

via Tapatalk
dmcconachie
Send a message
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status

Post by dtothill
Love Waze! :D But would love it more if I could download my maps ahead of time. I have an iPhone with plenty of storage! Seems like it would improve the app a lot if the only data that needed to be transmitted was GPS coordinates of other users.

Hope we see this rolled out soon
dtothill
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
Its a community map, there will be errors and idiots. Wazes greatest weakness is also its greatest strength.
FYI you CAN use Waze offline but don't expect the routing to be perfect, besides, there is an option to use data compression. I use Waze all the time, and not just locally. I'm lucky if it uses 20MB in a month!

Sent from my Telenor_OneTouch using Tapatalk
floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
Using it offline means scrolling the map around the whole route so its cached on the phone. Should work then.

floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
No. Although they're vector maps, and the client draws the map itself, it still needs different data for different zoom levels, don't ask me why. For that reason, getting a route from home or scrolling (results may vary) seems the only option at the moment. It is extremely unlikely that Waze will ever implement an offline mode because of their business model, i.e. live data.
floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
+1 here too

floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
Yeah that makes perfect sense and although my data plan is only 500mb I'm not charged for using extra. There MUST be an option to cache an entire route map from Wi-Fi for those on low data plans or for signal dropouts. Especially for the developing world or in areas in some countries where signal is likely to be inconsistent.

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2
floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
Had you searched the forums, you'd know that by setting a route via wifi does indeed cache most, if not all of the relevant map.

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2
floppyrod84
Send a message