Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

No data for 1hr = Waze doesn't recover network connection

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I have verified and captured on video, that after about an hour of having no cell service while driving, Waze will never ever again connect to the servers to allow rerouting or posting of hazards, events, etc. Internet connectivity within Waze is verified however, as Waze will upload logs at the same time it is showing no network connection. The video I have shows Waze alternating between "Searching network . . . " and "Uploading logs..."

The Waze netcode needs to be made robust so that network checking continues as long as Waze is running so that when the data network is again available, the data for the route isn't permanently lost, as it appears is the case now.

Debug logs were uploaded.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

POSTER_ID:701618

Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Unholy wrote:Hi Alan,

Can you please post the video?
Here it is. Very boring, really. Just a minute of watching it say it can't connect to the network while uploading logs. I attempt to post an event near the end, where I laughed as it said, "Sorry no network connection..." and thn "Logs submitted successfully!"

[youtube][/youtube]
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
xteejx wrote:I don't see why there is this problem. Surely Waze temporarily stores the gpx tracks on the sd card ready for upload? Is it not able to do this during outage by design or?
Waze does cache the data for the distance traveled without data coverage. However, the problem is that because Waze will not reconnect to the servers, it cannot upload the cached data. Whether it's cell data connection or wifi doesn't matter: Waze refuses to connect to the servers required for live data. You are left with no option but to exit Waze.

When you exit Waze, and then restart it, which is the only way to resolve the connection problem, the cache is automatically either cleared (on exit or startup, not sure) or ignored and the distance traveled from the time data connection is lost until Waze is restarted, is lost.

The two images below are from the route taken. In between the stop and restart location are 64 missing kilometers.
route_track_end.png
Data lost on OR6 near NW Timber Rd
(354.74 KiB) Downloaded 2306 times
route_track_restart.png
Drive capture restarted on Latimer Rd in Tillamook.
(210.93 KiB) Downloaded 2302 times
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

autourdupc
Send a message
France - French - Galaxy S3 - Android Version 4.1.2 - Stock ROM
Translator for french language - "Localization expert"

Post by autourdupc
robin1979 wrote:
Autourdupc wrote:I have the same with last version of Waze...
http://forum.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 51#p173651
This looks like something completely different - you lost the GPS signal, not the data signal.
I don't know if you are right... Bec. in my case, when I wanted to send the logs, I get an error because Waze was unable to contact the server !
autourdupc
Send a message

Post by autourdupc
Beta version do the same !
autourdupc
Send a message

Post by betoaoki
For the past week I´m having the same problem. Waze can´t connect with its location servers, mostly when using 3/4G, but yesterday for a time couldn´t connect even with wifi!

Clearly there is some data coming/going because it updates some traffic information, but everytime I want to trace a route or indicate something in the map, it just keeps trying to connect with the servers.

Currently I live in Sao Paulo, Brasil. Galaxy Note 2, Android 4.4.2, Waze 3.8.1.0
betoaoki
Send a message

Post by bgodette
gettingthere wrote:It may no longer be viable to monetize the traffic data. I don't believe that Waze has managed to sell any of this traffic data to anyone as of yet.
Sort of, depending on how you parse what was said in TWiST #226, the map, traffic data, or both were sold in certain markets. I'd imagine in some countries there's a real lack of any comprehensive traffic profiling which is something Waze can provide for those markets, however it's a quickly saturating market to where the data is so cheap as to be insignificant in comparison to operating costs.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by cymike
I've had some problems of this sort recently too. Did some paving of new roads a few weeks ago over a course of a few days but they were never uploaded while I can see them (in red) in the client. Also noticed during the last few days that Waze often keeps stuck with "searching for network..." (or similar) message for no apparent reason (the phone shows 3G icon during the same time).

That's on Android 2.3/HTC Desire HD, latest "stable" 3.0 client.

Also Waze crashed a few times while paving at a certain location (several days in a row, same location) but I would not attribute all of those losses of data uploads to the crashes as the other day it did not crash there and also roads located elsewhere (where there were no crashes) were not uploaded as well. (I've sent logs upon client restart of course)
cymike
Send a message

Post by cymike
crazycomputingdotnet wrote:Waze used to handle this a lot better.
Well, it used to handle many things better. I recall a time when there was no more than 1-2 days of a delay between map edits and map tiles reflecting them (even that delay was annoying). Now a map tiles update is considered a newsworthy event, takes weeks and sometimes a few announcements of additional delays precede it :(
Come on guys, get your act together. Waze is such a great idea but such a poor implementation :(
cymike
Send a message