These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.
Post by cymike
Their business model seems to be based on monetizing traffic data contributed by users. See http://waze.tv/ for example.
cymike
Send a message

Post by deeggo
crazycomputingdotnet wrote:Waze used to handle this a lot better. I live in an area that is really spotty in cell coverage and usually lose ~10 miles a day when I go the route of the highway.
Then a workaround might be to dig up the last v2 version of the client from this forum and use that one. Why not? Of course, that's not a solution, just a workaround.
deeggo
Send a message
Global Champ. Country manager Nederland & België
NL: Wiki: hoe label ik een (snel)weg correct?
HTC One M8 | Follow me on Twitter
Join Dropbox, free online file sync! Register through this link and give you and me 250MB extra for free. Thanks!

Post by floppyrod84
I had this today after a call. Network dropped and didn't reconnect until a restart of Waze. I had HSDPA the whole time.

Sent from my Telenor_OneTouch using Tapatalk
floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
I don't see why there is this problem. Surely Waze temporarily stores the gpx tracks on the sd card ready for upload? Is it not able to do this during outage by design or?

Using Tapatalk
floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
Well, not necessarily us, but as with Facebook, our data is invaluable to them and is indeed where they will make their money. Personally, I don't have a problem with this, since it's not personally identifiable information, it's pretty much just a load of anonymous data.
Besides, we are also benefitting from the data as it's making the product better by also giving us the opportunity to edit the map better than if there was just aerial images.

Using Tapatalk
floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
cymike wrote:Their business model seems to be based on monetizing traffic data contributed by users. See http://waze.tv/ for example.
It may no longer be viable to monetize the traffic data. I don't believe that Waze has managed to sell any of this traffic data to anyone as of yet. The only known users of the traffic data are other Wazers and some local news stations. Waze is not charging the local news stations to use the traffic data. I believe that Waze is using these relationships to 'advertise' Waze and get more Wazers into the system hoping that they figure out some way to monetize Waze, eventually.

From the waze.tv link - "100% free, all you need is an iPad and Apple TV."
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico

Post by invented
I can confirm this too, that when going from Ontario to WNY, where I have data roaming disabled, then back again, Waze will not reliably connect again after '3G' comes back on the display. It has, once or twice, after about 10 minutes, but usually not.
invented
Send a message

Post by invented
cymike wrote:
crazycomputingdotnet wrote:Waze used to handle this a lot better.
Well, it used to handle many things better. I recall a time when there was no more than 1-2 days of a delay between map edits and map tiles reflecting them (even that delay was annoying). Now a map tiles update is considered a newsworthy event, takes weeks and sometimes a few announcements of additional delays precede it :(
Come on guys, get your act together. Waze is such a great idea but such a poor implementation :(
Isn't the app free? I can't remember if it was $0.99 or not. I often wonder how they get their money to stay afloat.
invented
Send a message

Post by KDDA
Same problem, Waze only records my route up to point of data connection being lost. Waze will not reconnect again, even with valid data connection (which I can send/receive emails and use internet on other apps) but is updating the map as I drive and showing me other users! It is also freezing a lot.
KDDA
Send a message