The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Someone nuked a whole village

Post by
I have seen single roads deleted, but I never saw anything like this. How can we protect the map from such actions?
Nuked.jpg

POSTER_ID:43452

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Warning added to roundabout wiki page.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AndyPoms
harling wrote:
xteejx wrote:haha!
No seriously though, SQL is rollback-able IF users edits are stored in changesets like OSM. I can't understand why they haven't implemented something similar. It would solve most, if not all our problems.
It would probably multiply several-fold the amount of data they have to store & manage. But as the number of man-hours-per-square-mile invested in the map increases, at some point* they will decide it is worth the insurance.

* e.g., soon after someone takes out a major city.
Didn't Waze used to have that insurance? Where an Area Manager had to confirm road deletions in Cartouche?
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by bgodette
fvwazing wrote:I have seen single roads deleted, but I never saw anything like this. How can we protect the map from such actions?
Nuked.jpg
Nothing yet, only thing you can do is submit it to support and they can maybe roll it back.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bgodette
jasonh300 wrote:Is that a giant roundabout? Does it have an editor name on it?

Has Waze ever actually rolled anything back? I keep seeing that suggestion, but have never seen any example of them being able to do it.
Due to database corruption (sync) repairs they've done in the past, it's assumed they keep backups of both the database and transactions. The unknown is how far back they go.

It's all my phone's fault for using Tapatalk.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bgodette
fvwazing wrote:Sorry to revive an old thread - I just found mail in my spambasket explaining that Wazesupport will not roll back mapdata as it simply is too expensive. I guess it involves a lot of manual work (for the sysops).
I see a second (third? fourth?) round of infrastructure updates involving database schema in the future. At some point WME will need to support some sort of quasi-peer review and rollback system just to limit the damage vandals can do.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bozwell
I expect it is probably quite easy to do that by accident. Shame the roundabout tool doesn't have a maximum circumference.

I'm currently repairing a lot of roads around Kent and South East London where an inexperienced user has obviously been using the browser plug in and managed to set large areas (including roundabouts) to two way, and naming large areas with the incorrect city name.
bozwell
Send a message

Post by dknight212
xteejx wrote:Yeah I noticed a few twats messing Kent up!
Must resist joke, must resist.

David using Tapatalk
dknight212
Send a message

Post by dmcconachie
Bozwell wrote:I expect it is probably quite easy to do that by accident.
Might be easy to do by accident but you still have to hit "Save"
dmcconachie
Send a message
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status

Post by DonJ2
dmcconachie wrote:
Might be easy to do by accident but you still have to hit "Save"
I can understand a new editor making this mistake because I think the problem with roundabout creation is that you don't see the complete affects of the change until you actually hit save, right?
DonJ2
Send a message
USA Country Manager
Area Manager: Florida - Brevard, Lake, Osceola, Orange, Seminole, Volusia
Samsung Galaxy S5 - Verizon - Android 4.4.2

Post by DonJ2
DonJ2 wrote:
dmcconachie wrote:
I can understand a new editor making this mistake because I think the problem with roundabout creation is that you don't see the complete affects of the change until you actually hit save, right?
Actually, you do see the effects before saving -- the big orange circle shows up for the new roundabout, the orange roads that all junction at the edge of the circle ... and any segments that were completely inside the circle (as many must have been in this extreme example) show up as the cyan dashed lines that indicate deleted roads -- all before clicking the "Save" icon. The roads that were truncated at the circle's edge do still appear inside the circle in their normal colors between creation and saving ... but that's the only thing that might appear somewhat normal prior to the save. :(
Oh, I didn't realize that since every roundabout that I've ever created only contained the roads that are to be a part of the roundabout.
DonJ2
Send a message
USA Country Manager
Area Manager: Florida - Brevard, Lake, Osceola, Orange, Seminole, Volusia
Samsung Galaxy S5 - Verizon - Android 4.4.2