Forum for requesting any unlocks, closures or fixes by a higher rank editor.
Please read "Posting Guidelines" before submitting your request.

Galway

Post by JoSchoofs
Hi,

Can someone take over this Galway UR?
https://www.waze.com/nl/editor/?env=row ... t=11367018

I don't have access to this region anymore as my last visit to Galway was several months ago.
Thanks!
JoSchoofs
JoSchoofs
Area Manager
Area Manager

POSTER_ID:17063043

Send a message

Post by davidg666
'morning all,
lsin023 wrote:We are asking the reporter Carl if the Left Turn onto Waterside is permanently forbidden or not as the satellite or 2010 SV images show no restriction..
If you wiggle around in SV, you can see images from June 2009 and February 2010; the 2010 images show no entry lines with a "NO ENTRY" marking on the road that would restrict entry from all directions (but no signposts) and the June 2009 images imply that it permitted entry at the time and was two-way then.

Looking further along the Waterside, there are only 2009 images, but a number of other online maps suggest that Waterside is now one-way towards the bridge. (note: we must not use other online maps as any kind of primary data source, but it might be reasonable to look at all available sources to see if there's any kind of consensus).

Inconveniently, there are no GPS arrows for Waterside, although tnormoyle is the other AM for Galway, so it might be work soliciting his opinion too.

In the absence of that, I'd suggest making Waterside one-way.

++David
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Answers: 1
Send a message
Country manager and local champ for Ireland

Post by davidg666
lsin023 wrote:
davidg666 wrote:(...) number of other online maps suggest that Waterside is now one-way towards the bridge.
One-way towards the bridge? Did I miss something? :roll:
Oops ... I was writing that too early in the morning, before I got my coffee :)

I meant to write that it looks like Waterside is now one-way away from the bridge, not towards. :oops:
lsin023 wrote:According to the most recent satellite images from different sources that I consulted yesterday, they suggest that there is "No entry" from Waterside onto University Rd/St. Vincents Ave/the bridge which contradict Carl's UR, hence the request for further information.
Yeah, Waze's own satellite images still show the two-way road markings. The look they same as Google's (these do sometimes diverge).

Bing shows the one-way markings that you can see in the 2010 SV images, but is also ambiguous further along Waterside - it almost looks like you can drive out but not in, in any one of three directions, which doesn't make sense. Zoom Earth shows the same image as Bing.

Carl's message tallies with what I see in the 2010 SV images and also with what Bing shows (that is, that you can't turn in to Waterside from the bridge).

This map (you'll need to zoom in; the link doesn't capture the zoom level) (found on http://www.galwaycity.ie/ ) shows part of Waterside as one way away from the bridge.

What images did you find that suggest there being no entry "from Waterside onto University Rd/St. Vincents Ave/the bridge"? - that is, heading south? Or maybe I misunderstood what you wrote.

I'm still voting for Waterside (or part of it anyway) being one way heading north.

++David
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by davidg666
lsin023 wrote:
davidg666 wrote:What images did you find that suggest there being no entry "from Waterside onto University Rd/St. Vincents Ave/the bridge"? - that is, heading south? Or maybe I misunderstood what you wrote.
I checked the images from all those sources and those provided by the script WME Permalink to serveral Maps v2.00.08.54. I also tried to find any temporary road closures from galwaycity.ie and galway.ie

None of the images suggest that we cannot turn into Waterside from the bridge (SV 2010 and Bing show "NO EXIT" from Waterside onto University Rd/St. Vincent's Ave/the bridge therefore one-way direction from the brigde towards North which contradicts Carl's UR)
Oh dear, this is embarrassing :oops:

I hang my head in shame, and shouldn't say another word :roll:

OK, it would appear that I didn't actually read the text painted on the road in VERY BIG LETTERS... It does indeed say "NO EXIT" and is facing traffic coming *from* Waterside, and the lines (solid line facing traffic from Waterside, broken line facing traffic adjacent to the bridge) does indeed concur with this text. Traffic is not allowed to travel *from* Waterside approaching the bridge area, but *is* allowed to enter Waterside from the bridge area.

I did also check Galway City Council website, but didn't find anything useful. If the junction did change around early 2010, then it's quite likely that there'd be very little history of the change online.
lsin023 wrote:
davidg666 wrote:I'm still voting for Waterside (or part of it anyway) being one way heading north.
I also agree with you but wanted to check with Carl and tnormoyle first. ;)
Heh - that's the one thing I've said so far that has been vaguely correct, since my earlier assertions don't match it.

In any case, it wouldn't hurt to check with Carl and tnormoyle anyway. It's quite possible that Carl (who may have been a visitor to the area when he created the UR) made the same mistake I did and read an upside-down "NO EXIT" as a "NO ENTRY" painted on the road. To be fair, "NO EXIT" is quite unusual...

Thanks for resisting my repeated attempts to assert the opposite of the truth :)

++David
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by davidg666
tnormoyle wrote:Sorry for the delay, yes I know the area very well.
There is no reason not to turn left coming off the Salmon Wier bridge heading down to Waterside either temporarily or permanently. It is a tight road but there are no restrictions.
Thanks Tommy!

And is Waterside (or part of it anyway) one-way heading north, or is it two-way, just with no exit allowed from the south? (if that was the case, then I guess then there'd need to be a place for cars that can't exit to turn around)

++David
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by lsin023
Thanks JoSchoofs for your contribution!
We are asking the reporter Carl if the Left Turn onto Waterside is permanently forbidden or not as the satellite or 2010 SV images show no restriction..
lsin023
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by lsin023
Hey David,
davidg666 wrote:(...)no entry lines with a "NO ENTRY" marking on the road that would restrict entry from all directions (but no signposts) and the June 2009 images imply that it permitted entry at the time and was two-way then.
(...) number of other online maps suggest that Waterside is now one-way towards the bridge.
One-way towards the bridge? Did I miss something? :roll:

According to the most recent satellite images from different sources that I consulted yesterday, they suggest that there is "NO EXIT" from Waterside onto University Rd/St. Vincent's Ave/the bridge which contradict Carl's UR, hence the request for further information.
I also PM tnormoyle ;)
lsin023
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by lsin023
davidg666 wrote:Carl's message tallies with what I see in the 2010 SV images and also with what Bing shows (that is, that you can't turn in to Waterside from the bridge).

This map (you'll need to zoom in; the link doesn't capture the zoom level) (found on http://www.galwaycity.ie/ ) shows part of Waterside as one way away from the bridge.

What images did you find that suggest there being no entry "from Waterside onto University Rd/St. Vincents Ave/the bridge"? - that is, heading south? Or maybe I misunderstood what you wrote.

I'm still voting for Waterside (or part of it anyway) being one way heading north.
I checked the images from all those sources and those provided by the script WME Permalink to serveral Maps v2.00.08.54. I also tried to find any temporary road closures from galwaycity.ie and galway.ie

None of the images suggest that we cannot turn into Waterside from the bridge (SV 2010 and Bing show "NO EXIT" from Waterside onto University Rd/St. Vincent's Ave/the bridge therefore one-way direction from the brigde towards North) which contradicts Carl's UR.
davidg666 wrote:I'm still voting for Waterside (or part of it anyway) being one way heading north.
I also agree with you but wanted to check with Carl and tnormoyle first. ;)
lsin023
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by lsin023
davidg666 wrote:Thanks for resisting my repeated attempts to assert the opposite of the truth :)
You're welcome! :D
You fight for what you believe is right! We all should do the same! (but in peace..) ;)
lsin023
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by tnormoyle
Hi guys,

Sorry for the delay, yes I know the area very well.
There is no reason not to turn left coming off the Salmon Wier bridge heading down to Waterside either temporarily or permanently. It is a tight road but there are no restrictions.

Tommy
tnormoyle
Send a message