Forum rules
The place to ask for help when editing in the UK.

Map Editing Guidelines . Join the UK Discord Server

Being routed through fuel station in motorway services

Post by geojay78
While exiting Taunton Deane services (southbound) on the M5 I think I was directed to exit through the fuel station. This feels like a bad thing so what's to stop this happening?

Thanks
geojay78

POSTER_ID:12600861

Send a message

Post by geojay78
OK, I'll need some unlocking in order to try your suggestion. I've posted a request at viewtopic.php?f=375&t=246837
geojay78
Send a message

Post by geojay78
Timbones wrote:I notice that the northern edge of the car park isn't connecting to the incoming segment. Perhaps because Waze was doing bizarre routes through it. Street for the main route would have prevented that.
That's me...

If someone could do a little downlocking as requested at viewtopic.php?f=375&t=246814 , I'll fix it...
geojay78
Send a message

Post by Timbones
I would suggest a better solution is to either a) mark the segments through the fuel station as Private Road, or b) the main routes through the services as Street (my preference is the latter, which matches the guidelines on the wiki)
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 2
Send a message
Timbones(6) • UK Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Closure Monitor
Scripts: WME Colour HighlightsWME Route TesterWME Geometries

Post by Timbones
Twister-UK wrote:... although in this case it still wouldn't have helped for people re-starting their journey here due to the way the exit segment from the parking area connected directly to the entry segment for the filling station - hence my suggestion to break the contiguous chain of PLRs at the entry point to the filling station.
Ah yes, I'd missed that point. Some additional hack would be required then: either Private roads inside fuel area, or Street segment to force the transition (as it is now). Alternative strategy would be to put Street on the car park side instead.

I notice that the northern edge of the car park isn't connecting to the incoming segment. Perhaps because Waze was doing bizarre routes through it. Street for the main route would have prevented that.
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message
Timbones(6) • UK Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Closure Monitor
Scripts: WME Colour HighlightsWME Route TesterWME Geometries

Post by Twister-UK
A quick look in WME on my phone suggests the problem is due to how the entire services road network, including the filling station, is mapped out using the same type of segment. As such, once you're within the services, there's no routing penalty difference between choosing the segment through the filling station vs the segment which bypasses it, and so Waze then relies on distance/routing speeds.

Given the layout of the services here, the filling station is the shortest route from the car park out to the motorway, and given the close proximity of the bypass lane, Waze wouldn't be able to tell when someone ignores it's suggestion to drive through the filling station, so any speed data collected by drivers using the bypass route will probably end up being mis-applied to the filling station route instead, making it also seem like the fastest route...

I suspect one solution here could be to add a short section of street segment between the car park exit and filling station entrance, breaking the continuous "same segment type" route from one to the other, whilst maintaining it for the desired route from car park via the bypass lane - anyone specifically navigating to the filling station would still be routed there, but anyone just wanting a route out of the car park should then instead be routed via the bypass segment as expected.

I suspect the same sort of problem would exist at several other service areas due to the similar use of consistent segment types within the boundary of the services, and the way the filling stations usually are located somewhere next to the exit route back onto the motorway.
Twister-UK
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Chris (not to be confused with Chris or Chris, or even Tim, Stu, or any of the other champs team...)
AM SE England & Shetland Islands, UK Local Champ, WME Beta Tester & ScriptMangler
WME/Livemap enhancement scripts @ GreasyFork

https://chizzum.com/greasemonkey/images/beta.pnghttps://chizzum.com/greasemonkey/images/s0400.pnghttps://chizzum.com/greasemonkey/images/c5s.png

Post by Twister-UK
Tim, good point re the use of street type for the through roads, although in this case it still wouldn't have helped for people re-starting their journey here due to the way the exit segment from the parking area connected directly to the entry segment for the filling station - hence my suggestion to break the contiguous chain of PLRs at the entry point to the filling station.

This problem of accidentally creating a "through route" between what should be two completely independent "private/restricted access" areas of road segments is one which seems to occur sufficiently often that it may be worth highlighting in the wiki as well.
Twister-UK
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Chris (not to be confused with Chris or Chris, or even Tim, Stu, or any of the other champs team...)
AM SE England & Shetland Islands, UK Local Champ, WME Beta Tester & ScriptMangler
WME/Livemap enhancement scripts @ GreasyFork

https://chizzum.com/greasemonkey/images/beta.pnghttps://chizzum.com/greasemonkey/images/s0400.pnghttps://chizzum.com/greasemonkey/images/c5s.png