[Page Update] Junction Style Guide/Interchanges  Topic is solved

Moderators: MapSir, USA Champs

Re: [Page Update] Junction Style Guide/Interchanges

Postby voludu2 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:03 pm

I say - go for it.
The discussion process has led to several improvements in wording. And any needed smaller changes to clarify wording can be made in the future, probably with a minimum of discussion/ wait.

[ img ]
USA Northeast Region Discord Chat
State Manager - Pennsylvania
Country Manager - USA and Thailand
Wiki Master, Global Mentor
utilitas, simplicitas, retentionis
voludu2
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5

Postby Kartografer » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:56 pm

voludu2 wrote:I say - go for it.
The discussion process has led to several improvements in wording. And any needed smaller changes to clarify wording can be made in the future, probably with a minimum of discussion/ wait.

Thanks. I have moved the draft material to the Junction Style Guide/Interchanges page, moved that to Junction Style Guide/Interchange per agreed-upon style guide, and fixed broken redirects and other links.
[ img ]
Galaxy S9 running Pie on Mint
SM Ohio, AM New Mexico, South Dakota
Wazeopedia projects
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
-John 8:32
Kartografer
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby KC-Guardrail » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:33 pm

I know I'm late to the party, but why did we change the Entrance geometry to 20 degrees, when it serves no purpose? It seems like it will create extra work for editor and not gain any advantages.

I understand that the Exit geometry change was needed, but with a majority of the ramps in my area already being set to 20 exit/10 entrance, the change of the entrance to 20 will make all those ramps out of compliance. (Don't worry, I have a lot of more pressing things that need my attention, I'm not rushing out to change all the ramps)
[ img ][ img ][ img ] [ img ]
Area Manager - Kansas City Metro
KC-Guardrail

Postby dspille » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:14 pm

KC-Guardrail wrote:I know I'm late to the party, but why did we change the Entrance geometry to 20 degrees, when it serves no purpose?

My understanding is that it was to make pressing the arrows easier for app closures.
Thanks,
dspille
Country Manager, Multi-State Manager - South Central Region

SCR Wiki
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
dspille
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby ldriveskier » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:23 pm

I'd like to propose changing the guidance for the angle to the entrance ramp to a range of 10-15 degrees.

Summarizing some discussion that took place Discord about the entrance ramp geometry:
    * changing entrance ramps to 20 degrees to be consistent with the new guidance for exit ramp geometry only creates more work without solving any problem; only the exit ramp closures are affected by the departure angle
    * entrance ramps should be properly placed and reasonably geometrified
    * we should have a range as guidance so editors have a consistent geometry to stay within
    * 10 degrees worked well for zoom timing; 20 degrees was a change that really served no purpose and might affect the zoom out effect
    * 20 degrees causes a pronounced jog in the map that isn't necessary and will cause jarring display turning; it should be a smooth motion as you enter the freeway and the display zooms out
    * suggested “10-15” as a guideline
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
USA LC/CM, MAR MSM, WV SM, NE OH LAM (resident of Ohio)
ldriveskier
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby KC-Guardrail » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:36 pm

I agree with the change, going back to the original guidance for entrance ramps (ramps entering the highway).
[ img ][ img ][ img ] [ img ]
Area Manager - Kansas City Metro
KC-Guardrail

Postby dfortney » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:44 am

I concur. For departure angles, 20° has proven to enable the client closure functionality; however for entrance angles, the closures functionality is not a consideration and therefore the guidance should be to follow the actual road geometry, typically 10-15°.
Last edited by dfortney on Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
[ img ] [ img ] [ img ] [ img ] [ img ] [ img ][ img ]
Rank 5 | U.S. Country Manager | North Carolina State Manager | SAT Multi-state Manager | Northern California AM
dfortney
State Manager
State Manager

Postby Kartografer » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:02 am

I am fine with removing the 20° guidance for highway entrances, but I don't think we really need an angle recommendation. Just do what looks good. I like consistency and symmetry and think 20° looks fine. Others like 15° or 10° or don't want to change how the entrances are set up. That's fine too. Actual road geometry can vary quite a bit, and in cases with a SWL extending past the gore, the entrance is nearly parallel to the highway so following road geometry could make an angle closer to 0° and extend the length of the ramp significantly. So how about having the text on entrances simply say this?
Likewise, at the end of an entrance ramp place a geometry node at the end of the solid white line and extend the ramp to join with the highway at whichever angle looks natural while not making the ramp unnecessarily long. This will allow for consistent auto-zoom functionality—the client remains zoomed in for the duration of the ramp, zooming out when the user gets on the freeway.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
[ img ]
Galaxy S9 running Pie on Mint
SM Ohio, AM New Mexico, South Dakota
Wazeopedia projects
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
-John 8:32
Kartografer
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby GeekDriverPeaceful » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:25 pm

I would not suggest a recommended angle. I would only make sure that we have a reasonable geometry for the entrance ramp while ensuring that we have a smooth auto-zoom transition. Otherwise, I support ldriveskier's proposal
GeekDriverPeaceful
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby ldriveskier » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:59 pm

[quote="dfortney"... follow the actual road geometry, typically 10-15°.[/quote]

I definitely disagree with those saying we shouldn't recommend any angle and just say to do what looks good to the editor. Whatever is done, it should be consistent. Letting every editor decide what they want to do will lead to an inconsistent experience for users, which will look unprofessional. Just reading Kartografer's suggestion above, there could be a 0-20 degree difference in entrance angles with the possibility that some editors might want to do larger angles.

If we're not going to say "should be 10-15 degrees", then at least use wording that dfortney suggested in the quote to give some sort of guidance. Personally, I think 20 degrees is way too jarring.
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
USA LC/CM, MAR MSM, WV SM, NE OH LAM (resident of Ohio)
ldriveskier
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

PreviousNext

Return to US Wiki Discussion