[Script] WMEMagic

Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein, Glodenox, JustinS83

Forum rules
Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

DO NOT START a new thread unless it is about a new idea. Keep discussion of existing tools within the main thread for that tool.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Re: [Script] WMEMagic

Postby iainhouse » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:08 am

My apologies. If you're using Chrome, I'm not sure why Windows Scripting Host is poking it's nose in. Possibly there's a file association involved. I'm guessing that the install is failing in TamperMonkey; then the Javascript source code is downloaded as a file; then WSH is set as the default handler for .js files and is trying to run the code. It's heavily minified and it wouldn't surprise me at all if WSH chokes on it.

This has prompted me to try some experiments. Note that I installed the new version earlier today without problems. So I removed Magic, then re-installed it - and got an error myself! The error about "cannot install from this site". That was followed by the download bar appearing at the bottom of Chrome as the file simply downloaded as a normal download.

After a bit of experimentation, I think I found a factor that I haven't seen mentioned before by any of the other people who have experienced problems. The script would not install if I had a WME window open. I tried several times and it seems that, if you have a WME window open, it somehow interferes with the installation of the script. I've now been round several times and been able to consistently install/re-install without WME windows open.

So my suggestion is to try this:
  1. Make sure Magic is uninstalled from Tampermonkey (and not installed in any other way)
  2. Copy the installation link https://waze.xpto.org/magic/magic.bundle.user.js to your clipboard
  3. Close Chrome completely
  4. Reopen Chrome with a fresh tab. If you have tabs set to open with Chrome, close them. If one of those was WME, I'm not sure what will happen. ;)
  5. Paste the link into the address bar
  6. Wait for the page to fully load and show the code. Because it's minified and all on one line, this will take TamperMonkey a while to handle - maybe 20-30 seconds
  7. Click the Install button
  8. Check the Tampermonkey dashboard to see if it's there
I hope that will work for you. Beyond that, we're definitely into territory where I can't really help much more without setting up a remote desktop sharing session.
[ img ][ img ][ img ]
UK AdminsUK WikiWaze FAQWMEFU Script :ugeek:
I want to go to a commune in Vermont and deal with no unit of time shorter than a season
iainhouse
Country Manager
Country Manager

Location: on the road from London to insanity, with Waze HQ in the driving seat

Postby iainhouse » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:28 am

Mvan231 wrote:What does "Visual Search" highlight actually do? I can't seem to find info on it

If you type text into the search box (no need to hit RETURN), Magic will highlight segments with matching names. :geek:
[ img ][ img ][ img ]
I want to go to a commune in Vermont and deal with no unit of time shorter than a season
iainhouse
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby iainhouse » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:37 am

SeveriorumPatrem wrote:Last I heard, guidance was to NOT junction railroads with driveable roads any more (a decision I didn't agree with but way above my pay grade). Has that changed back?

I won't speak towards any local /national guidelines on mapping. But at several meetups over the last couple of years, Waze routing devs (particularly Yigal) have recommended junctioning railroad and driveable segments. The reasoning given was that it allows Waze to better estimate transition times across the junctions.

One reason for not doing it is historical: in the distant past there have been examples of actual routing onto RR segments. Yigal assured us that Waze will now never route onto a RR segment and I've certainly not seen/heard of that happening for years.

There's an additional advantage to having a junction: if the crossing is closed (for maintenance or an accident), then you can add two one-way RTCs, each pointing away from the junction. That will allow drivers to be routed to either side of the crossing, right up to the crossing itself, but won't allow through-routing.
[ img ][ img ][ img ]
iainhouse
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby iainhouse » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:29 pm

With the new layers menu in the latest WME release, it looks like the Magic layers toggle has disappeared from the layers menu. ;)
[ img ][ img ][ img ]
iainhouse
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby iainhouse » Sun May 31, 2020 12:37 am

dbcm wrote:Will publish this after i receive some examples from you guys

Errr - have you published something without letting us know? For the last hour or two, I've been seeing some . . . amusing effects in WME?
weirdnodes.png
WTF?
(44.04 KiB) Downloaded 172 times

:lol: :lol: :lol:

When I turn off the Magic layer, these symbols go away and they've all been related to end-of-segment problems. I'm not sure about the poop icon, but the explosion is perfect! :)
[ img ][ img ][ img ]
iainhouse
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby iainhouse » Sun May 31, 2020 1:57 pm

Can I please point out that this script (like all the others) is voluntarily provided by a Waze community member(s), at no cost, for the benefit of the community.

It is up to the developer of any script what functions they want the script to provide and how they wish to implement them. There's nothing wrong with making requests - half the functions in my own script only exist because someone else asked me to add them. But it's up to me whether or not I accept such a request and it's my choice as to how it works and whether or not it's enabled by default.

I admit it's unusual for a new feature to appear in a script without warning. I frequently criticise HQ for introducing new WME features without warning. Publishing an update to my own script is non-trivial, as I try to coordinate updates to the original post, the changelog post, the release post and publishing on Greasyfork. But there are no rules about this.

I'm sure we'll hear something soon; but in the meantime, please keep the nature of your posts polite and respectful. Throwing your toys out of the pram and demanding removal of a new feature you don't like is unfair. You may prompt the developer(s) to dig their heels in and not make changes - or become dispirited and stop bothering to make updates.
[ img ][ img ][ img ]
iainhouse
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby iainhouse » Sun May 31, 2020 4:31 pm

shmupi wrote:No ban?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

No. I decided to give you one more chance, Shmupi. :mrgreen:
[ img ][ img ][ img ]
iainhouse
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby iainhouse » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:16 pm

I seem to recall that this is actually the case in some places in the US. I believe it was discussed during the introduction of the unpaved attribute.
[ img ][ img ][ img ]
iainhouse
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby iamrioo » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:22 am

This is great script :) simply magic!!

Can we request country configs/translation? any requirements?
[ img ]
telegram me
The best of people are those who bring most benefit for others
iamrioo
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby iangpowell » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:53 pm

Intriguing - thanks for highlighting this, may not just be me being a new script user and a bit of a pleb!!

I first installed it a week and a half to two weeks ago, and it hasn't ever worked for me, despite one or two other senior editors being able to send me screenshots of it working for them in an area that doesn't highlight anything for me.
[ img ] [ img ] [ img ]
AM for Oxfordshire and Tees Valley, UK and Co Donegal, Ireland
iangpowell
Area Manager
Area Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Addons, Extensions, and Scripts