The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Street direction at some hours

Post by
Is there an option to set the direction of the street when the hour change? In ex, from 9 to 12 the direction is N-S, and from 12-8 the direction is S-N.

thanks,

POSTER_ID:6326414

Send a message

Post by CBenson
Unfortunately, no there is not.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
I've been thinking about this a bit more. My assumption has always been that if we get the ability to indicate time restricted turns, then we will be able to handle time restricted road directionality. That is we can simply indicate when all the turns going in each direction on the road are allowed.

However, it occurs to me that time restricted turn restrictions are likely much more complicated than time restricted road directionality to implement. My understanding is that waze already bases routing decision on speed data for a segment for the particular time of day. Shouldn't it be fairly simple just to force a speed of zero for a direction of a segment when the road is closed in that direction.

Does anyone see any particular obstacles to implementing time based road directionality?
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Sure, there are problems for anything waze does. My point is road directionality wouldn't require a change on the back end at all. I'm not expecting an interface change to enter road directionality data soon. But maybe for major reversing directionality issues, it would be worth it for waze to simply change a bit of the speed data.
gettingthere wrote:
CBenson wrote:Does anyone see any particular obstacles to implementing time based road directionality?
* Getting the data correct in Waze
* The data changing with updated signs being posted
Lets say there is a major commuter artery for a city that changes direction completely during the rush hours and has for years. Getting the data correct would be easy. Set the speed data to zero for a few dozen segments max during the times the road is closed in a particular direction. In this case wouldn't it be worth it for waze to go in and tweak the data to make the routing work.
gettingthere wrote:* Day of the week differences (eg. no left turn Monday - Friday 9am - 11am)
Right, but the speed data now includes day of the week differences (at least Monday-Friday vs. Saturday-Sunday, which is all that is required.)
gettingthere wrote:* Building the interface to allow data entry based on clicking an arrow in the editor, currently there is not extra data for a turn, only allowed or denied
That's exactly why I bring this up. I'm not talking about putting in any data regarding a turn. Rather simply set the existing speed data to zero (as drivers can't add speed data during these times in these directions, the existing data may well simply be the default values, why not just change them to zero).
gettingthere wrote:* Adding the extra data to the database - it's my understanding that all database changes are 'frozen' until at least July 2012 for Waze to complete infrastructure changes.
Again, there is no need for extra data, just change some existing data to zeros.
gettingthere wrote:* etc, etc.
I'm thinking that where a reversing road really messes up a city's routing in waze it would be worth it for waze to address the road. It doesn't look like it should be difficult at all from where I sit.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
I'm not sure what I'm proposing. But Rock Creek Pkwy in Washington, DC changes to one way for the rushes. A significant fraction of the URs in the city result from waze's inability to handle the timed directionality changes. I guess at this point, I'm wondering whether it would make sense to ask waze if they could easily change the data for this road to solve the routing problems that the timed directionality issue causes. It seems a little like when they handle road closures for the Boston Marathon or Carmagedon. Only in this case it would be left in place permanently (or until they provide a way for editors to enter time based restrictions).
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Not yet. But if no-one think this an absurd idea, maybe I should.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
gettingthere wrote:Well I think they are going to tell you that they can't do it and that there is currently no interface or support for roads that change directionally based on time of day. But that shouldn't stop you from asking.
They didn't tell me that they can't do it (they ignored my request that they might do it on the back end). Your prediction that they would tell me there is currently no interface or support for roads that change directionality based on time of day was correct. For what its worth, they said this feature will be available "soon" and that "it's still under testing."
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
CBenson wrote:Does anyone see any particular obstacles to implementing time based road directionality?
* Getting the data correct in Waze
* The data changing with updated signs being posted
* Day of the week differences (eg. no left turn Monday - Friday 9am - 11am)
* Building the interface to allow data entry based on clicking an arrow in the editor, currently there is not extra data for a turn, only allowed or denied
* Adding the extra data to the database - it's my understanding that all database changes are 'frozen' until at least July 2012 for Waze to complete infrastructure changes.
* etc, etc.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico

Post by gettingthere
Are you proposing that Waze just figure this out based on the data that they have without any way to control it in the editor?
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
Have you asked Waze directly if there is anything that they can do?
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
Well I think they are going to tell you that they can't do it and that there is currently no interface or support for roads that change directionally based on time of day. But that shouldn't stop you from asking.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message