Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Option to pause audio during voice annunciations

Post by captainslim
I'd like to recommend adding an option to pause my iPhone's audio, rather than just lowering the volume, when Waze makes a voice annunciation. I'm usually listening to a podcast, and I wind up missing bits of it when Waze says something. When I'm in, say, an urban area, where Waze is likely to be chattier, it can make following the podcast impossible. I imagine that people who listen to audiobooks have the same issue.
captainslim

POSTER_ID:249358

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
It may be quite difficult to program Waze for all audio apps. Some do streaming and so "pause" isn't an option. Other apps do local file playing and it is possible to pause, but again, I'm not sure how Waze can force other apps to do things...

--
If it looks strange, or I used bad grammar or misspelled anything, it's my phone's fault.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Cool. That sounds quite do-able then!
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
gettingthere wrote:It's also an option in the TomTom app for iOS. Option is to lower the music volume or pause when TomTom is 'speaking'. I am not sure if this only works with the iOS Music application or works with other streaming applications.
I'd be willing to bet that if you want TomTom over the iPhone speaker while streaming audio over BT that the option to "lower volume" doesn't work and the streaming is stopped during the TomTom announcement.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlpacaLips
Ditto. This is such a basic feature need, which as previously noted other nav apps handle well. I have Navigon, and though I paid big bucks for it (for an iPhone app), I would probably dump it in a heartbeat in favor of waze if this were fixed. I almost never drive without listening to some form of spoken audio content, which is impossible to use with waze's constant voiceovers in nav mode. This feature of waze is therefore currently useless to me.

Pause the audio, please!
AlpacaLips
Send a message

Post by BraveJhawk
(Yet) another podcast listener that would like a pause option for other audio during TTS. This would GREATLY enhance the experience-especially if it supports third-party apps (through a standard API). Even streaming from a website alles for pause unless it is live-streaming.
BraveJhawk
Send a message
Waze (latest) • iPhone 5S (iOS 7.1.2; AT&T) • Chrome on Win7

Post by erkman
yes, please make this a feature
erkman
Send a message

Post by erkman
AlpacaLips wrote:Ditto. This is such a basic feature need, which as previously noted other nav apps handle well. I have Navigon, and though I paid big bucks for it (for an iPhone app), I would probably dump it in a heartbeat in favor of waze if this were fixed. I almost never drive without listening to some form of spoken audio content, which is impossible to use with waze's constant voiceovers in nav mode. This feature of waze is therefore currently useless to me.

Pause the audio, please!

Agreed again, my particular commute has one of the worst corridors of traffic in the US. I get many reports each way, between accidents, police, cars on the side of the road, it gets really REALLY irritating when trying to listen to my audio book (the only thing that keeps my sanity in the first place)
erkman
Send a message

Post by Galfridus
I would like to see this added as well. In particular, I use the iOS client, with my iPhone connected to my car's audio via audio cable. I would like Waze to be able to pause music/podcasts when playing own audio, rather than lowering the volume and continuing on.
Galfridus
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
It's also an option in the TomTom app for iOS. Option is to lower the music volume or pause when TomTom is 'speaking'. I am not sure if this only works with the iOS Music application or works with other streaming applications.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico