Post by fvwazing
kentsmith9 wrote:For the US it appears on the app for the first 5 seconds.
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1

Post by fvwazing
sk2380 wrote:
snmskc wrote:Halloween night in LA

I need to be one of them... In India if you add all Wazers there won't be that much in all !
Relax... with 1 billion potential Wazers there is plenty of headroom.

http://www.computerworld.in/news/idc-sm ... c-26312012
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1

Post by fvwazing
All - at once? I thought you had to parse the area in square km chunks, looping many times to collect every part of a large city. Is there no performanceissue when collecting, say, a whole country? Not at your side, not at Waze's side? And what about those hidden Wazers?
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1

Post by gerben
0:12 AM, and the livemap shows about 20 wazers in The Netherlands (100x200 km).
gerben
Send a message
Nokia Lumia 920 (WP8 3.7.6 client)
Countrymanager The Netherlands
[img]https:///EcBKq[/img][img]https:///WS6zp[/img][img]https:///Y17fx[/img]https://img69.imageshack.us/img69/35/luiconring.png

Post by gettingthere
San Diego, CA metro is now between 300-500 Wazers at the peak of rush hour. I believe the single largest number I have seen myself is 447. This is up from a couple of hundred after Waze 3 for iPhone released and up from < 100 prior to Waze 3 for iPhone. I have definitely noticed that use is higher when the weather is bad (bad weather = rain in San Diego) or when traffic is unusually heavy. I agree with comments that Krankyd made in Palo Alto that Waze has a challenge in getting users to run Waze EVERY time they drive vs. just turning it on sporadically.

Hoping to see 1000 Wazers 'near you now' in the near future. If a local TV station would pick up 'Waze TV' for traffic reports I feel we could see explosive growth in San Diego.

As I have mentioned in other threads, due to very proactive editing work by a few very active editors in San Diego the maps are very mature and accurate here. We have been proactively editing street by street, neighborhood by neighborhood. (although not all that organized unfortunately) The map maturity in San Diego is MUCH better than nearby metro areas such as Orange County, Los Angeles, CA, and San Francisco/Silicon Valley.

I really feel that having fully edited maps is of very high importance to an increase the number of Wazers 'near you now'. Of course it also helps if there is traffic that needs to be avoided ;)

Straying slightly off-topic - Now if Waze could get us better solutions to the following problems, Waze could really grow:

* Routing issues due to algorithms that need tweaking.
* False traffic reports in residential neighborhoods due to jam algorithm that needs better validation of jams.
* goodie/cookie munching setting that needs to be removed a month+ ago, causing bad routing.
* Pave mode that is overused in an area with mature maps.
* The overmapping of parking lots.
* No valid solution for basic Parking Lot mapping (Parking Lot roads are causing more problems then they solve due to the issue with not respecting turn restrictions and least segment path out of the Parking Lot vs. correct routing). Parking lots stubs are not viable either.
* Other back-end or client issues that cause end-users to have a bad experience with Waze.
* Map updates too slow to propagate to the app as the tile building is being re-vamped.
* No exposure to whom edited a junction last. Would be very useful to help out editors who are making errors.
* Better up front communication with Wazers that they can edit the map, how to submit an Update Request with details of the problem, better way to deal with routing when off-network (more of an issue now with CDMA iPhones and no cellular data when talking on the phone).
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico

Post by gettingthere
bgodette wrote:It seems that Waze just begins to be useful for visually looking at traffic conditions at around 100-150 "near you now" Wazers. Useful automatic traffic avoidance seems to start kicking in around 300-350. From this I would say that critical mass for really working well at rerouting is around 600-700.

Places like SF and LA *should* be outstanding if it weren't for their non-freeway maps being in such bad shape.
Although there is also the factor of how large the metro area is, how many roads there are with frequent traffic, etc.

And as we know areas with HOV/carpool lanes are highly problematic for proper jam reporting since the Waze can be snapped to the incorrect lane (freeway vs. HOV). (LA and Orange County have many)

I still can't understand why the number of active Wazers does not correspond more closely with the number of editors. LA and Orange county seem to be in dire need or more active map editors.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:It is only a NA thing, I think due to definition of "metro areas" from something I read recently.
Although from Timbones post earlier in this thread, it appears that it may now be available in parts of the UK?
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
pulsarxp wrote:sorry for the Inappropriate question.
When will it work on INTL server?
Maybe around the same time that shields and TTS are enabled??? Sorry...
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
I believe that this feature is still only active in certain, defined metropolitan areas in the USA.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
invented wrote: Oh ok. That must be why I can drive along the US border and it will come up.
Yep, I have the same results when getting close to the US Border (San Diego area) in Tijuana Mexico. Waze has not activated this function in Tijuana. As soon as I get close to the US Border, the Wazer's near you is displayed and is only showing details for the San Diego metro area. (not Tijuana)
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message