Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Routing off/on highway instead of staying on

Post by AggieJM
I just drove through this area at the end of last week. There were a couple of places where the navigation instructions routed me off of the highway onto the ramp, only to have me get right back onto the highway at the next ramp. The correct route should have been to stay on the highway. Judging by the number of open URs in that area, it's been like that for a while.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=3&lat ... TTTFTTTTFT

I did make some updates to standardize the road names and types on US Hwy 290, but I didn't see anything that would force the exit. I also checked this in the LiveMap and it didn't have any issue routing down the highway without exiting.
AggieJM
Area Manager
Area Manager

POSTER_ID:3323561

Send a message

Post by AggieJM
Thanks guys!

Are those turn restrictions something that are required to make it work properly? Or should it not route off of the road that way by default. Obviously it's not a truly restricted turn, but I can see how adding the turn restriction will solve the problem.
AggieJM
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by AggieJM
invented wrote:
I noticed that the entire stretch of that freeway has all turns allowed at the ramps, so this is bound to happen if Waze's routing algorithm determines it is marginally better to exit and enter back via the ramps. Adding a turn restriction at the ramp will add a strong penalty to using that route and more favour the mainline freeway.

Also, any particular reason you're using Major Highway there and Freeway to the east?
I wouldn't expect it to use the ramps since the additional junction and slower speeds should make the highway the preferred choice.

I haven't worked on the Freeway sections to the east. I've only updated the naming and type on the sections to the west.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (blame my phone for any typos)
AggieJM
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by AggieJM
Thanks guys! I've made the changes to the ramps to disable the straight-through path on the ramps. I closed all the URs along that section as well that referenced this issue, since it looks like it's been a problem for a while.

This was my first time through the area running Waze and the rest of the route was pretty sound.
AggieJM
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by AggieJM
invented wrote:I'm kind of stumped as to why it's routing people on the ramps. Cartouche says the freeway has an average speed of 113 km/h, the ramp segments are all lower than that, and the ramp segments together are longer than the freeway adjacent. So it must have been some heavy traffic.
There was no traffic when I passed through the area. I had the same expectation that it would not route ramp-to-ramp if the route was continuing down the highway. That's why I was initially questioning whether the turn restriction was required or not. Based on the feedback, it sounds like this is something that may need to be refined in the route calculation logic, but we can use the restricted turn as a solution for now.
AggieJM
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by AndyPoms
This thread is over a year old. Please see the forum rules. Locked.

There is a more current discussion about Ramp-to-Ramp routing - which is actually ILLEGAL in most places.

EDIT: I found the other thread for you: http://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=56092
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by cdombroski
It seems to me you could fork the exit ramp just before it ends, placing the junctions on either side of the on ramp. Then regular turn restrictions would prevent routing towards the on-ramp (the right ramp is not allowed to turn left towards the on-ramp and vice versa).
cdombroski
Send a message

Post by F1Lee
AggieJM wrote:Thanks guys! I've made the changes to the ramps to disable the straight-through path on the ramps. I closed all the URs along that section as well that referenced this issue, since it looks like it's been a problem for a while.

This was my first time through the area running Waze and the rest of the route was pretty sound.
Although this "fixs" the issue you have, it creates another problem. Editors are software restricting a legal motor vehicle move.

If one where to accidentally take the exit, and needs to route back on the highway. Countless other occurrences could happen to require to need to return onto the highway. Not only that, it's LEGAL to do so, and should be allowed.

Based on principle, Waze should be allowed to route you back onto the highway from an exit ramp.

The core problem is in the Waze code and that's where the fix needs to be done. Wouldn't you agree?

I've looked for ways to report to Waze, code issues, but never can see them. How does one do this? I am not a fan of user "fixes" in software to avoid core software issues. Waze needs to do their job and make good software.
F1Lee
Send a message
Samsung Galaxy S3, Verizon

Post by gettingthere
We have seen this issue many, many times. The recommendation to disable the straight through from highway exit ramp to highway entrance ramp is the best solution at this time. We have good evidence that this is an effective work-around for this issue.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico

Post by gettingthere
Beware that not all Waze editors are aware of this workaround. So it's possible another editor may come by and re-enable the turns you just restricted since the straight through ramp to ramp my technically be legal.

Also, I believe Waze previously made some adjustments in the routing to try to avoid this. Although their 'fix' may depend on some type of naming requirements in regards to city name. I don't remember exactly... You may be able to find these details via searching the forum and/or Wiki.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico