Error adding places in WME

Post by cw1998
Hello,

For over a week now, I have been experiencing an issue with WME where I am unable to add places in certain locations. What's strange about this is that I can create a lake place say at position (x, y), but I then I can't create a neighbouring lake at say (x+200m, y).
Just for reference, I am editing in Co. Monaghan.

What I know so far:
  • There is no way to tell if a place addition is going to throw an error.
  • It is seemingly random, but it happens for a higher percentage of places near the border with the UK. (Although this would not explain the error appearing right in the middle of the county).
  • Larger places tend to throw the error more often. These are especially frustrating since it could have taken up to 5 minutes to draw the lake/lough, only for the error to throw.
  • You can create point places in "working areas" and move them gradually up to the desired place by moving a short distance, then saving and repeating.
  • Whether or not a place is near a "city" in Waze, doesn't seem to have an effect.
  • This seems to be a localised problem. Ie. I'm not experiencing this problem when I add places in my UK areas.
  • It's an instantaneous error. It happens as soon as you click save. As if it isn't trying to save server side.
I haven't found a consistently working workaround or temporary fix for this problem, and I'm experiencing it both in WME and WME Beta. The closest to a workaround is the one mentioned above, but this is very tedious indeed.

Here's a screen recording of the error happening in WME.

Permalink from the video if any other editor would like to try to add this location. Any places I have tried to add that haven't worked have a point comment on them. If you successfully managed to add a place, remember to remove the comment!
cw1998
Area Manager
Area Manager

POSTER_ID:2758244

Send a message
Last edited by cw1998 on Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by cw1998
davidg666 wrote: However: what happens if you create a small place, save, and (if the save succeeds), enlarge the place and save again?
Creating a small place has worked in some instances, but usually only if the place I was originally trying to add was very large. (So I guess the smaller place was in a "working" area).
In one or two cases as well I have been able to start with a point place, sucessfully save it then change it to an area.
davidg666 wrote:Is it just the creating of places in the first place that fails, or does editing of places that already exist also fail?
Correct, just initial place creation is giving an error. If a place exists, it can be edited without issue.
cw1998
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by cw1998
YanisKyr wrote:Could it be something simple causing a conflict - like being outside your Editable area? Do you have that layer enabled?

Also, have you tried another browser/incognito session?
It's definitely in my editable area (right in the center!), and I always have the layer enabled. I have tried all the usual browsers, and I get it both on my home PC and university laptop, and also on a university desktop PC which gets reset daily.
cw1998
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by cw1998
Yeah toolbox goes crazy near the borders! Next time I'm editing I'll see if that workaround works for places that are "on" borders and report back here.
cw1998
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by cw1998
I have been successfully able to add places that span borders. Sometimes it is fussy about whether it should be in the UK or Ireland, but setting it to the other one if the first fails should work.
cw1998
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by davidg666
Hi Chris,
cw1998 wrote:For over a week now, I have been experiencing an issue with WME where I am unable to add places in certain locations. What's strange about this is that I can create a lake place say at position (x, y), but I then I can't create a neighbouring lake at say (x+200m, y).
Just for reference, I am editing in Co. Monaghan.
I'll wait a couple of days to see if anything changes or if anybody else replies to say they've got the same problem, but I'll contact Waze HQ if neither of those things happen.
cw1998 wrote:What I know so far:
  • It is seemingly random, but it happens for a higher percentage of places near the border with the UK. (Although this would not explain the error appearing right in the middle of the county).
  • Larger places tend to throw the error more often. These are especially frustrating since it could have taken up to 5 minutes to draw the lake/lough, only for the error to throw.
  • This seems to be a localised problem. Ie. I'm not experiencing this problem when I add places in my UK areas.
I was going to ask if this happens more near the edge of your AM area, but I see from your permalink that that isn't the case either.

However: what happens if you create a small place, save, and (if the save succeeds), enlarge the place and save again? Is it just the creating of places in the first place that fails, or does editing of places that already exist also fail?

++David
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Answers: 1
Send a message
Country manager and local champ for Ireland

Post by davidg666
lsin023 wrote:Here are my results:
Test 1 [Failed]: creation of area place (+40000m2/Lake/Forest) in AM area in Co. Galway (Zoom 6/5/4/3/2/1)
Thanks for checking. I wonder if it's a known issue with AM areas that span country borders.

I've sent a message to our community contact asking if it's a known issue and asking that they look into it.

++David
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Answers: 1
Send a message
Country manager and local champ for Ireland

Post by lsin023
Hi Chris,

Here are my results:
Test 1 [Passed]: creation of area place (+6000m2/Lake) in AM area in Co. Galway (Zoom 6) without street name
Test 2 [Failed]: creation of area place (+40000m2/Lake/Forest) in AM area in Co. Galway (Zoom 6/5/4/3/2/1) without street name
Test 3 [Failed]: creation of area place (+246000m2/Lake) in AM area in Co. Leitrim (Zoom 4/3/2/1) without street name
Test 4 [Passed]: creation of area place (+246000m2/Lake) in AM area in Co. Leitrim (Zoom 4) with street name
lsin023
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
Last edited by lsin023 on Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:45 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post by lsin023
Chris,

Can you try the workaround below?
1. Add a street name to the place and save.
2. Edit and delete the added street name and save. (zoom out if necessary and leave State field blank if close to UK border)
lsin023
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message