Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Auto rotate is a PITA on a motorcycle - can it be disabled?

Post by cheesycheese
I'm using Waze on an iPhone.

The display auto-rotate between landscape and portrait mode is a pain in the ass when you use it on a motorcycle. The trouble is that the screen swaps every time you lean the bike into a corner, or sometimes even when you hit a bump in the road.

I can't see an option to disable the function and lock the screen into always portrait, or always landscape. If it isn't there, is it something that could be added to a future version? I have seen other iPhone apps that allow screen rotation to be locked.

thanks,

CheesyCheese
cheesycheese

POSTER_ID:7905835

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
israel_hk6p2kex wrote:.
Sweet. Now there's "israel" generic accounts too. This is the first one I've seen.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by cheesycheese
Thanks Weezer14. A Waze-specific setting would be nice as the portrait lock for the whole system is overkill when I only need to restrict one app.
cheesycheese
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
As a car driver, I have to say... please be considerate when driving through traffic jams. Motorbikes can zip in and out of stacks of cars and could falsify a genuine traffic report. Not moaning, just saying be careful :-)

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2
floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by israel_hk6p2kex
Any news on this subject?
I'm using Waze on Android, and it's a serious hassle to lock the entire phone in portrait mode before starting to ride. A waze-specific setting would be great!
israel_hk6p2kex
Send a message

Post by magictuttle
Hi everyone, I have the same issue with my Galaxy Note 2 running Waze. I am not happy with the portrait mode, so definitely, I would appreciate a Waze menu to prevent auto-rotate. I wish some Waze developpers are reading this thread and take it into account...

David from France (BMW R1150 GS)
magictuttle
Send a message

Post by oyinko
I need it also!

If you lock the iPhone settings, Waze automatically put the gps in portrait mode. But my iPhone is on landscape mode on my motorbike. So I would like to choose the orientation and fix to it in the app.
oyinko
Send a message

Post by Red-Comet
+1

I'm using Waze landscape mode (portrait takes up too much limited real estate) and have the same issue. During a ride potholes and other dramatic G-forces common with riding a motorcycle flip the display on its head and it makes reading the display quite difficult.

There are other threads suggesting a 'motorcycle mode' that would not corrupt the traffic speed data since many ride faster than cagers and can split lanes through traffic (legal in Europe and California). Locking the display in this mode would seem a natural inclusion.

Currently using a Galaxy S5,
Red-Comet
Send a message

Post by WeeeZer14
I don't remember a Waze specific setting, but you can lock the entire iPhone to not rotate while you are riding if that helps. (Bring up task tray, swipe to the iPod controls, hit the orientation lock on the left.)
WeeeZer14
Send a message
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
[img]https:///V68te[/img]
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator

Post by wkearney99
On Android the "Ultimate Rotation Control" app does a fantastic job.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... eit.rotate

Well worth purchasing the license. It has global and per-app rotation control settings. You can force apps to use a rotation, independently of the global setting. As in, force Waze to always use Portrait while leaving the phone set to Auto Rotate otherwise.

You can even use it to force a portrait app to use Landscape. Which sometimes allows using a tablet kind of layout on a phone, even when the app wants to use portrait.
wkearney99
Send a message