Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

migrating Ireland wiki pages to Wazeopedia

Post by
[edit: split into its own thread]
cw1998 wrote:
davidg666 wrote: Assuming we do change the policy a bit, we'll have to either make it a pinned post here in the forum or migrate our wiki pages to Wazeopedia, since we can't edit them any more where they are. We need a volunteer to do this...
Well, you can count me in on that if you need help with rewriting the Wiki. :) Although I may not be experienced enough with editing in Ireland to be doing this.
The main thing to start with is to migrate the pages we have from the wiki (which is locked and can't be edited any more) to Wazeopedia. There's a fiddly process for doing that (that I haven't looked into in great detail) that involves nominating somebody to do it and then them getting Waze to convert the pages and move them over.

Once they're in Wazeopedia we should be able to edit them again, so any change we make about road naming (for example) can be made once we've agreed what those changes are.

++David

POSTER_ID:5008722

Send a message

Post by cw1998
[edit (davidg666): split into its own thread]

I had a quick look there but I don't have editing permissions on Wazeopedia (at least for creating pages anyway).
cw1998
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by cw1998
davidg666 wrote: The main thing is migrate the vast number of pages (all two of them :) ) in the existing wiki. Once we've done that then we can bring them up to date, and then edit with any naming policy changes we decide on.
Like with everything else at Waze HQ, if migrating is going to take a long time, it might be faster just to rewrite those pages :lol:
davidg666 wrote: It's worth writing down some other stuff that we do but have never documented
Great! It may also be worth giving some more general information about typical things to watch out for (such as speed limit changes on particaularly bad corners).
davidg666 wrote: Once we can edit in Wazeopedia, it'd be worth writing some more stuff too, such as a page for your tutorial on how to get WME to display townland boundaries.
Can do that! I was tempted to do a quick screen recording as well, but not necessary. It’s not too difficult really!
davidg666 wrote: I did write a document last summer intended as a guide for UK editors helping out with the Ireland map.
Good idea! I learned most of what I know about the specifics of editing in Ireland from yourself. It might be worth re-reading that huge email conversation we had last year for some information to include in wiki pages. If I remember correctly, you gave me a lot of information in that.
davidg666 wrote: I think a lot of our editing habits are similar to the UK practice, since the road layouts and designs are broadly similar and we also drive on the correct side of the road
Largely similar. In my opinion, one thing to emphasise for UK editors editing in Ireland is the abbreviations. I always have to double check them since some things are abbreviated in the UK that aren’t in Ireland and vice versa. Also, is it incorrect to add a parking lot road loop for petrol stations? I have seen cases where these aren’t added in Ireland, but there is typically one for every petrol station in the UK.
cw1998
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by cw1998
davidg666 wrote: Have you see many of those? I *may* have seen one *once*, but I think they're almost unheard-of.
True, I've maybe only seen it a couple of times doing Co. Monaghan, but I've seen random 50 zones where there is a "small" collection of houses. :D
cw1998
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by cw1998
davidg666 wrote: I'll be talking to some Waze HQ people on Saturday, and this is on my list of things to talk to them about.
Any updates on this? Did you get the opportunity to speak with HQ on Saturday? :)
cw1998
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by cw1998
Great news.

Strange problem you are having. I too cannot create anything on *that* wiki.
I don't understand why Wazeopedia is a huge collection of Wiki's rather than one big wiki. I can sign in and edit/create pages on this wiki, however: https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/Commons/Ireland

Maybe HQ wants us to build up our Wiki there first before moving it to the "proper" wiki?

Edit 2: Maybe I'm being silly and everyone gets access to that commons wiki. Maybe we just have to wait for changes to take effect on the main Ireland wiki?
cw1998
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by cw1998
We could start talking about content/format/style/structure and whatever else though in the meantime though? Or was something drawn up by the admins a long time ago for the Wiki?
cw1998
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message